Vanguard2 by Refx out 25th of November!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vanguard

1-2 more unfinished ones on the hard drive, when all of them done - I will upload them for free download :wink:

dude, another one and you'll sell me vanguard for those skins alone. :o

Those skins look nice.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Cyforce wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:32 am 1-2 more unfinished ones on the hard drive, when all of them done - I will upload them for free download :wink:
Will these automatically work with Nexus, too?
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

Cyforce wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:32 am Image

1-2 more unfinished ones on the hard drive, when all of them done - I will upload them for free download :wink:
Hey you ! Look here ! All !

You can’t miss that ! This guy is absolutely mindblowing !!! Look again, do NOT miss this !!

Dear software developpers, if he’s not already your skin designer, well he should be.

Same problem, now I also want to get the synth even if I didn’t enjoy the demos... :D
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Just a quick question about the oscillator wave "yay" is it meant to be something more interesting than a sine wave ? Was it compiled in error ? Thanks. Do we get an alternative reverb by any chance in the future ?

The skins are looking very nice indeed. JP style one is cool and the other "brushed champagne aluminium".

Synthman2000 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:03 pm Just a quick question about the oscillator wave "yay" is it meant to be something more interesting than a sine wave ? Was it compiled in error ? Thanks. Do we get an alternative reverb by any chance in the future ?

The skins are looking very nice indeed. JP style one is cool and the other "brushed champagne aluminium".
Adjust the PW knob to hear the full sound. It's only a sine in the middle.

This applies to other oscillators too.

It seems to be a formant based wavetable.

Ok thanks for the tip I will check it out. I always associated PW mainly with square waves.

Some other synths handle it the same way. In Waldorf Largo, scanning/morphing through a wavetable works the same way as scanning through or doing PWM as well.

That's also a thing I was wondering: Do the wavetables in Vanguard 2 consist of static waveforms, or are they actual wavetables you can morph through.

Did I say that they really need to provide a demo version next time? :) Seriously, who shells out 149 € regular price without even demoing?... I get why it's an impulse buy for people who knew or own the original, but, for anyone else?

PW does very little for some of the waves I do know that. I will go and check for you..run through them and let you know how much of a difference it makes per osc wave.

Thanks. :)

For the waves under "Basic" it makes no difference.. under waves with pulse in their name (as might be anticipated) it gives a kind of "syncy" sound to me or PW (but it is not smooth as we have become accustomed in 2022 with synths of the last 4 years for example) when waggling knob back and forth.

The remaining waves vary when PW'd between nothing happening, a reasonable amount of change and a lot happening. The more dramatic the change the more you hear the blocky-ness of the changes. We are speaking of +/- 127 increments. It does not sound like a seemless smooth scan in a modern wave table synth. It is not even as smooth as Massive 1 (2007) when you bend/formant modulate a WT for comparison.

In "yay" which is clearly my oversight it makes quite a bit of difference. I think I have made all the sounds I require for my track at the moment so have been off Vanguard synthesis for a few evenings. It can have a very nice lower mid when you get the filter right in a sweep. It is very far from having the sound of a modern synth which is to be expected.

Thanks for checking. Sounds like some are static waveforms then, and other are wavetables with a few waves (more seamless morph) or more waves (more steppy transition) in them.

What I've always liked about Vanguard is that it's very easy to go big and bombastic with it.

You can get pretty decent soft Pad sounds but it excels at in your face plucks, brassy keys, arps, gated patterns etc.

I look at various synths as instruments rather than individual capabilities ie. The whole experience rather than dissecting it into features.

If I want a big brassy in your face synth I could probably manage it in any number of synths but it's better to reach for something that just lends itself to those kinds of sounds.

chk071 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:35 pm Thanks for checking. Sounds like some are static waveforms then, and other are wavetables with a few waves (more seamless morph) or more waves (more steppy transition) in them.
Weirdly, the "special" and "next" waveform categories are like they're mirrored both sides of the positive and negative. ie. If you give it negative "PWM" it's the same as giving it as positive PWM as it scans through the wavetable.

THe Morph and pulse sections seems to have waveforms starting at negative and use the full range of the knob/modulator.

Return to “Instruments”