Which LiquidSonics Reverb?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

ChamomileShark wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:02 am
chagzuki wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:54 pm I'm even more confused, I installed the demo of Reverberate, without the extra content (didn't want to immediately fill my drive up), and the standard presets have no reference to hardware units, but rather just generic reverb type names. I thought that the point of Reverberate was that it was reproducing known hardware units... so what are the standard presets based on?
I noted that alot of the ones in the demo were actually from free IR libraries. I've no idea if the full version has "unique" IRs unavailable elsewhere. I'm also not sure if it is more than a standard convolution reverb.

Perhaps others could comment?
Not sure what you mean by “standard”. What’s a standard convolution reverb? Have you used the demo?

chagzuki wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:29 pm
ChamomileShark wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:02 am I noted that alot of the ones in the demo were actually from free IR libraries. I've no idea if the full version has "unique" IRs unavailable elsewhere. I'm also not sure if it is more than a standard convolution reverb.

It became clearer having followed the links to download extra IR content, though the website could benefit from being presenting the info on a single page. The link to the IR library is to a page with more links to 3 different bundles, the Bricasti set being one of them, and being over 4GB on it's own. I've not seen reference to the total disk space required to install everything, it seems you have to initialise the download to find out.
Anyhow, the control one has over the Bricasti impulses within Reverberate does indeed seem superior to the Seventh Heaven non-pro version, and I'm liking it a lot.

Is it possible to use multiple discount coupons for a single purchase in the shop?
Edit: I see that they can. No mention of them expiring either, so I guess they can be retained until next year.
Seventh Heaven gives some control over early reflections, which were sampled separately, and aren’t in the Reverberate IRs. Also VLF control. That, and it’s really simple to use in comparison, seem to be the main differentiators.

If you install all the optional Fusion-IRs, it’s at least 20gb. Not much. I have at least another 50gb of reverb IRs from elsewhere.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:07 pm Seventh Heaven gives some control over early reflections, which were sampled separately, and aren’t in the Reverberate IRs. Also VLF control. That, and it’s really simple to use in comparison, seem to be the main differentiators.
What's Reverberate doing then with the Early/Late control under the Fusion-IR tab, is that not the same manner of processing that's happening with Seventh Heaven? I guess you're saying that there's control of early reflections beyond a simple early/late balance?
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:05 pm
chagzuki wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:54 pm I'm even more confused, I installed the demo of Reverberate, without the extra content (didn't want to immediately fill my drive up), and the standard presets have no reference to hardware units, but rather just generic reverb type names. I thought that the point of Reverberate was that it was reproducing known hardware units... so what are the standard presets based on?
I noted that alot of the ones in the demo were actually from free IR libraries. I've no idea if the full version has "unique" IRs unavailable elsewhere. I'm also not sure if it is more than a standard convolution reverb.

Not sure what you mean by “standard”. What’s a standard convolution reverb? Have you used the demo?
I mean standard as in a normal convolution reverb. Liquidsonics thing was that things like Seventh Heaven use a slightly different method so that you get more realistic results when you start to tweak the original IRs.

Yes, I tried it a couple of years back - the demo has run out now.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:22 pm
vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:05 pm

I mean standard as in a normal convolution reverb. Liquidsonics thing was that things like Seventh Heaven use a slightly different method so that you get more realistic results when you start to tweak the original IRs.

Yes, I tried it a couple of years back - the demo has run out now.
You can find a 7day extension code on the site, unless you already used that, too.

Yes, Reverberate 3 can use normal IRs and the proprietary ones Liquidsonics use.
Last edited by vitocorleone123 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chagzuki wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:17 pm
vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:07 pm Seventh Heaven gives some control over early reflections, which were sampled separately, and aren’t in the Reverberate IRs. Also VLF control. That, and it’s really simple to use in comparison, seem to be the main differentiators.
What's Reverberate doing then with the Early/Late control under the Fusion-IR tab, is that not the same manner of processing that's happening with Seventh Heaven? I guess you're saying that there's control of early reflections beyond a simple early/late balance?
It’s my understanding (which could be wrong!) that Seventh Heaven has completely separate IRs for early reflections vs the late reflections. Reverberate 3 does not - it has one IR for both.

Well, I made my choices. Started with Tai Chi Lite and ended up moving to full. The body ducking feature really opens up options for leads, and sounds completely natural with the reflections remaining constant. Played a bit more with the reflection positioning and it strikes me as being superbly implemented, allowing for very easy degrees of distance/spatial depth control. I.e. you can sit a lead sound back in the soundstage without swamping it with reverb, and still have a lush tail.

Also picked up Reverberate, as the Bricasti impulses seem excellent for many purposes. The ambiences seem to do a good job of what I've been looking for with electronic drums, i.e. to seat them in a physical space without creating unwanted artefacts or deadening the impact.

Maybe I'll pick something else up next year.

Can't you apply ducking simply by using a compressor? A ducking feature is not something special imo and not necessarily needed in a reverb plugin

DCrown wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:25 pm Can't you apply ducking simply by using a compressor? A ducking feature is not something special imo and not necessarily needed in a reverb plugin
Sure, but it involves setting up a sidechain routing and having it right there in the plugin is quick and useful for this purpose, and needs no special routing in the DAW. (You can still do it that way if you prefer of course.)

So no - not *needed* as such, but that doesn't mean it's not useful if it's there.

beely wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:30 pm
DCrown wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:25 pm Can't you apply ducking simply by using a compressor? A ducking feature is not something special imo and not necessarily needed in a reverb plugin
Sure, but it involves setting up a sidechain routing and having it right there in the plugin is quick and useful for this purpose, and needs no special routing in the DAW. (You can still do it that way if you prefer of course.)

So no - not *needed* as such, but that doesn't mean it's not useful if it's there.
The ability to duck only the reverb tail while keeping the early reflections is also handy, and you can't achieve that with just a compressor on the wet signal.

all of them, i want all reverbs
aliasing plugin owner
:?

cthonophonic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:55 pm
beely wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:30 pm

The ability to duck only the reverb tail while keeping the early reflections is also handy, and you can't achieve that with just a compressor on the wet signal.
Agree, this can make things feel super transparent whilst still clearing the way

You could separate reflections and tail between two instances and duck only the tail, but that's a bit clunky/messy.

I'm really impressed with the early reflections modelling in Tai Chi, it's making me rethink how I do stuff. I haven't tried Cinematic Rooms yet, so don't know what ERs are treated there, but Tai Chi reminds me of the Exponential Audio reverbs in terms of how configurable early reflections are, except the interface is more intuitive and it seems easier to me to control spacial placement.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:31 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:57 am
There's some overlap. TaiChi is the most flexible of the two, and is a very solid choice. If you were going to compliment it with another from Liquidsonics to get the most for your money, I'd suggest Lustrous Plates as having the least amount of overlap, or Reverberate 3 if you want to get into using IRs (including several fantastic sets that are included).
I followed your advice and got Lustrous Plates too just before the sale ended. Since the price was tempting already, I thought it made sense to add this to my collection now itself. I watched a couple of videos and demoed it a bit; sounds excellent. Not super-essential I would say, but I did not have a dedicated Plates reverb plugin apart from the Little Plate and it offers the least overlap as you said, so I am now full covered. So, thanks again. :tu:

chagzuki wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:30 am You could separate reflections and tail between two instances and duck only the tail, but that's a bit clunky/messy.

I'm really impressed with the early reflections modelling in Tai Chi, it's making me rethink how I do stuff. I haven't tried Cinematic Rooms yet, so don't know what ERs are treated there, but Tai Chi reminds me of the Exponential Audio reverbs in terms of how configurable early reflections are, except the interface is more intuitive and it seems easier to me to control spacial placement.
TC's early reflections are well-implemented and pretty easy to use. They're excellent, and stand above the majority of algo reverbs currently on the market.

CR Pro is even better to my ears, but also provides more controls to manipulate the early reflections, which also adds complexity. Unless you're directly comparing the two and listening closely... well...

But TC can then take those early reflections and go places CR cannot.

CR has a more defined sandbox, so to speak. But it has the finest sand one can purchase within that sandbox. TC has a noticeably larger sandbox to play in than CR, even if the sand isn't quite as fine. This is why I appreciate both.

Return to “Effects”