Which LiquidSonics Reverb?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chagzuki
KVRAF
2875 posts since 26 Mar, 2002 from london

Post Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:47 am

Calagan wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:42 am But is S7 standard really necessary if you own Reverberate ?
The M7 IR are pretty amazing in reverberate...
Damn, this is confusing. So Seventh Heaven Pro has early/tail balance control and loads more IRs, whereas the non-pro version looks like a limited preset player, and Reverberate has Bricasti impulses and a high degree of control, but isn't designed to mimic the exact controls of the Bricasti?
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

chagzuki
KVRAF
2875 posts since 26 Mar, 2002 from london

Post Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:54 pm

I'm even more confused, I installed the demo of Reverberate, without the extra content (didn't want to immediately fill my drive up), and the standard presets have no reference to hardware units, but rather just generic reverb type names. I thought that the point of Reverberate was that it was reproducing known hardware units... so what are the standard presets based on?
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

vitocorleone123
KVRian
1362 posts since 30 Jun, 2014 from Pacific NW

Post Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:27 pm

chagzuki wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:54 pm I'm even more confused, I installed the demo of Reverberate, without the extra content (didn't want to immediately fill my drive up), and the standard presets have no reference to hardware units, but rather just generic reverb type names. I thought that the point of Reverberate was that it was reproducing known hardware units... so what are the standard presets based on?
The point of Reverberate is to use reverb IRs from anywhere. Some of those can be from known hardware units.

Pretty sure you need that downloadable extra content of the hardware IRs if you want the hardware IRs and presets like the M7. I don't know what the standard presets are of as I've never used them.

vitocorleone123
KVRian
1362 posts since 30 Jun, 2014 from Pacific NW

Post Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:29 pm

chagzuki wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:47 am
Calagan wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:42 am But is S7 standard really necessary if you own Reverberate ?
The M7 IR are pretty amazing in reverberate...
Damn, this is confusing. So Seventh Heaven Pro has early/tail balance control and loads more IRs, whereas the non-pro version looks like a limited preset player, and Reverberate has Bricasti impulses and a high degree of control, but isn't designed to mimic the exact controls of the Bricasti?
Correct. Very clear and not confusing.

One is a specific emulation, the other is an IR "player" that you can load any reverb IR (and maybe others? I've not tried) into, which, if you choose, could include IRs from the same reverb unit that Seventh Heaven emulates.

User avatar
ChamomileShark
KVRAF
2550 posts since 12 May, 2004 from Oxford, UK

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:02 am

chagzuki wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:54 pm I'm even more confused, I installed the demo of Reverberate, without the extra content (didn't want to immediately fill my drive up), and the standard presets have no reference to hardware units, but rather just generic reverb type names. I thought that the point of Reverberate was that it was reproducing known hardware units... so what are the standard presets based on?
I noted that alot of the ones in the demo were actually from free IR libraries. I've no idea if the full version has "unique" IRs unavailable elsewhere. I'm also not sure if it is more than a standard convolution reverb.

Perhaps others could comment?
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

chagzuki
KVRAF
2875 posts since 26 Mar, 2002 from london

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:29 am

ChamomileShark wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:02 am I noted that alot of the ones in the demo were actually from free IR libraries. I've no idea if the full version has "unique" IRs unavailable elsewhere. I'm also not sure if it is more than a standard convolution reverb.

Perhaps others could comment?
It became clearer having followed the links to download extra IR content, though the website could benefit from presenting the info on a single page. The link to the IR library is to a page with more links to 3 different bundles, the Bricasti set being one of them, and over 4GB on it's own. I've not seen reference to the total disk space required to install everything, it seems you have to initialise the download to find out.
Anyhow, the control one has over the Bricasti impulses within Reverberate does indeed seem superior to the Seventh Heaven non-pro version, and I'm liking it a lot.


Is it possible to use multiple discount coupons for a single purchase in the shop?
Edit: I see that they can. No mention of them expiring either, so I guess they can be retained until next year.
Last edited by chagzuki on Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

vitocorleone123
KVRian
1362 posts since 30 Jun, 2014 from Pacific NW

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:05 am

ChamomileShark wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:02 am
chagzuki wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:54 pm I'm even more confused, I installed the demo of Reverberate, without the extra content (didn't want to immediately fill my drive up), and the standard presets have no reference to hardware units, but rather just generic reverb type names. I thought that the point of Reverberate was that it was reproducing known hardware units... so what are the standard presets based on?
I noted that alot of the ones in the demo were actually from free IR libraries. I've no idea if the full version has "unique" IRs unavailable elsewhere. I'm also not sure if it is more than a standard convolution reverb.

Perhaps others could comment?
Not sure what you mean by “standard”. What’s a standard convolution reverb? Have you used the demo?

vitocorleone123
KVRian
1362 posts since 30 Jun, 2014 from Pacific NW

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:07 am

chagzuki wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:29 am
ChamomileShark wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:02 am I noted that alot of the ones in the demo were actually from free IR libraries. I've no idea if the full version has "unique" IRs unavailable elsewhere. I'm also not sure if it is more than a standard convolution reverb.

Perhaps others could comment?
It became clearer having followed the links to download extra IR content, though the website could benefit from being presenting the info on a single page. The link to the IR library is to a page with more links to 3 different bundles, the Bricasti set being one of them, and being over 4GB on it's own. I've not seen reference to the total disk space required to install everything, it seems you have to initialise the download to find out.
Anyhow, the control one has over the Bricasti impulses within Reverberate does indeed seem superior to the Seventh Heaven non-pro version, and I'm liking it a lot.


Is it possible to use multiple discount coupons for a single purchase in the shop?
Edit: I see that they can. No mention of them expiring either, so I guess they can be retained until next year.
Seventh Heaven gives some control over early reflections, which were sampled separately, and aren’t in the Reverberate IRs. Also VLF control. That, and it’s really simple to use in comparison, seem to be the main differentiators.

If you install all the optional Fusion-IRs, it’s at least 20gb. Not much. I have at least another 50gb of reverb IRs from elsewhere.

chagzuki
KVRAF
2875 posts since 26 Mar, 2002 from london

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:17 am

vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:07 am Seventh Heaven gives some control over early reflections, which were sampled separately, and aren’t in the Reverberate IRs. Also VLF control. That, and it’s really simple to use in comparison, seem to be the main differentiators.
What's Reverberate doing then with the Early/Late control under the Fusion-IR tab, is that not the same manner of processing that's happening with Seventh Heaven? I guess you're saying that there's control of early reflections beyond a simple early/late balance?
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

User avatar
ChamomileShark
KVRAF
2550 posts since 12 May, 2004 from Oxford, UK

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:22 am

vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:05 am
ChamomileShark wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:02 am
chagzuki wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:54 pm I'm even more confused, I installed the demo of Reverberate, without the extra content (didn't want to immediately fill my drive up), and the standard presets have no reference to hardware units, but rather just generic reverb type names. I thought that the point of Reverberate was that it was reproducing known hardware units... so what are the standard presets based on?
I noted that alot of the ones in the demo were actually from free IR libraries. I've no idea if the full version has "unique" IRs unavailable elsewhere. I'm also not sure if it is more than a standard convolution reverb.

Perhaps others could comment?
Not sure what you mean by “standard”. What’s a standard convolution reverb? Have you used the demo?
I mean standard as in a normal convolution reverb. Liquidsonics thing was that things like Seventh Heaven use a slightly different method so that you get more realistic results when you start to tweak the original IRs.

Yes, I tried it a couple of years back - the demo has run out now.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

vitocorleone123
KVRian
1362 posts since 30 Jun, 2014 from Pacific NW

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:47 am

ChamomileShark wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:22 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:05 am
ChamomileShark wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:02 am
chagzuki wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:54 pm I'm even more confused, I installed the demo of Reverberate, without the extra content (didn't want to immediately fill my drive up), and the standard presets have no reference to hardware units, but rather just generic reverb type names. I thought that the point of Reverberate was that it was reproducing known hardware units... so what are the standard presets based on?
I noted that alot of the ones in the demo were actually from free IR libraries. I've no idea if the full version has "unique" IRs unavailable elsewhere. I'm also not sure if it is more than a standard convolution reverb.

Perhaps others could comment?
Not sure what you mean by “standard”. What’s a standard convolution reverb? Have you used the demo?
I mean standard as in a normal convolution reverb. Liquidsonics thing was that things like Seventh Heaven use a slightly different method so that you get more realistic results when you start to tweak the original IRs.

Yes, I tried it a couple of years back - the demo has run out now.
You can find a 7day extension code on the site, unless you already used that, too.

Yes, Reverberate 3 can use normal IRs and the proprietary ones Liquidsonics use.
Last edited by vitocorleone123 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

vitocorleone123
KVRian
1362 posts since 30 Jun, 2014 from Pacific NW

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:49 am

chagzuki wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:17 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:07 am Seventh Heaven gives some control over early reflections, which were sampled separately, and aren’t in the Reverberate IRs. Also VLF control. That, and it’s really simple to use in comparison, seem to be the main differentiators.
What's Reverberate doing then with the Early/Late control under the Fusion-IR tab, is that not the same manner of processing that's happening with Seventh Heaven? I guess you're saying that there's control of early reflections beyond a simple early/late balance?
It’s my understanding (which could be wrong!) that Seventh Heaven has completely separate IRs for early reflections vs the late reflections. Reverberate 3 does not - it has one IR for both.

chagzuki
KVRAF
2875 posts since 26 Mar, 2002 from london

Post Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:01 am

Well, I made my choices. Started with Tai Chi Lite and ended up moving to full. The body ducking feature really opens up options for leads, and sounds completely natural with the reflections remaining constant. Played a bit more with the reflection positioning and it strikes me as being superbly implemented, allowing for very easy degrees of distance/spatial depth control. I.e. you can sit a lead sound back in the soundstage without swamping it with reverb, and still have a lush tail.

Also picked up Reverberate, as the Bricasti impulses seem excellent for many purposes. The ambiences seem to do a good job of what I've been looking for with electronic drums, i.e. to seat them in a physical space without creating unwanted artefacts or deadening the impact.

Maybe I'll pick something else up next year.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

DCrown
KVRist
475 posts since 1 Jul, 2021

Post Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:25 pm

Can't you apply ducking simply by using a compressor? A ducking feature is not something special imo and not necessarily needed in a reverb plugin

User avatar
beely
KVRAF
2277 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Post Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:30 pm

DCrown wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:25 pm Can't you apply ducking simply by using a compressor? A ducking feature is not something special imo and not necessarily needed in a reverb plugin
Sure, but it involves setting up a sidechain routing and having it right there in the plugin is quick and useful for this purpose, and needs no special routing in the DAW. (You can still do it that way if you prefer of course.)

So no - not *needed* as such, but that doesn't mean it's not useful if it's there.

Return to “Effects”