Korg Modwave Native (VST3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Totally! The Kaoss pad is the icing on the cake 🎂
Busy saucing sounds - soundsauca.com

danatkorg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:28 am It's the same with automation: set Touched to On.
Thanks but I can't find this on the interface anywhere - it is available in the param list but if I assign it to a knob whichever way I turn it the XY still doesn't move in response to knob turns and it's only telling me it's off not on

Question for Mr. Atkorg or others: what would you say sets Modwave apart from the other 500 wavetable vst synths out there?
In addition to the banner features noted above (Kaoss Physics, Motion Sequencing 2.0 etc.), I'd point to the wavetable oscillators themselves. The A/B Blend lets you mix two wavetables together in a single oscillator, phase-synchronously, with smooth modulation in realtime. I'm aware of only one other wavetable synth that does this, though there may be more. The resulting sound is very different from a normal, non-phase-synchronous layer. Additionally, B Offset allows you to sweep the second wavetable independently of the first, for even more dynamic wavetable fun; I'm not aware of any other synth that does this.
Dan Phillips
Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:42 pm
danatkorg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:28 am It's the same with automation: set Touched to On.
Thanks but I can't find this on the interface anywhere - it is available in the param list but if I assign it to a knob whichever way I turn it the XY still doesn't move in response to knob turns and it's only telling me it's off not on
I tried this, using the three CCs for X, Y, and Touched, and verified that it works properly. When I turn the Touched CC all the way up, then the CCs for X and Y control the ball position.

Note that this is much easier if you just use the graphic UI with a mouse or trackpad...
Dan Phillips

danatkorg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:48 pm
I tried this, using the three CCs for X, Y, and Touched, and verified that it works properly. When I turn the Touched CC all the way up, then the CCs for X and Y control the ball position.

Note that this is much easier if you just use the graphic UI with a mouse or trackpad...
OK this is clearly a bug then in Komplete Kontrol because I'm now finding several other params that only work one way - for example I also can assign Val->Env and Xfd Width to knobs but the knobs in Komplete Kontrol move if I move the assigned knobs on Modwave, but not the other way round. This is on a Mac Studio M1 Max and Ventura (VST3 Native mode)

Works here too -- was struggling before since CC 20 wasn't set to 127. After doing that, CC 18 and CC 19 control the position. That said, it is easier to use the computer's TrackPad :-)

danatkorg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:46 pm
Question for Mr. Atkorg or others: what would you say sets Modwave apart from the other 500 wavetable vst synths out there?
In addition to the banner features noted above (Kaoss Physics, Motion Sequencing 2.0 etc.), I'd point to the wavetable oscillators themselves. The A/B Blend lets you mix two wavetables together in a single oscillator, phase-synchronously, with smooth modulation in realtime. I'm aware of only one other wavetable synth that does this, though there may be more. The resulting sound is very different from a normal, non-phase-synchronous layer. Additionally, B Offset allows you to sweep the second wavetable independently of the first, for even more dynamic wavetable fun; I'm not aware of any other synth that does this.
Ah, that does sound cool. Apologies for the asinine manner of the question. IMO there is nothing quite like opsix or Wavestate out there but I wasn't sure what really set Modwave apart in what is a very crowded field, at least the software realm.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

New version uploaded. Will test.

Hi all! We've just released the 1.0.1 update for modwave native, which fixes the problems people have reported in VST3 on both Windows and macOS. For those curious, it was a last-minute change to VST3 parameter handling. This caused the crazy burst of activity on program change, and the crackling and bad behavior on knob movements. We may have taken "move fast and break things" a little too far this time; sorry for the inconvenience.

If modwave native's "Check For Updates" (in the Settings window) is still at the default of "Check Automatically," you'll see a prompt to update the next time that you instantiate the software. Otherwise, you can press the "Check now..." button in modwave native (again, in the Settings window) , or use Korg Software Pass to update.
Dan Phillips

Boy Wonder wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:21 am It stuns me (stuns me, I tell you) that the DW-8000 is revered today.
The DW-8000 is not revered at all today.

danatkorg wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:01 am Hi all! We've just released the 1.0.1 update for modwave native, which fixes the problems people have reported in VST3 on both Windows and macOS. For those curious, it was a last-minute change to VST3 parameter handling. This caused the crazy burst of activity on program change, and the crackling and bad behavior on knob movements. We may have taken "move fast and break things" a little too far this time; sorry for the inconvenience.
Thank you Dan :) That fixed it :tu:

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:16 pm

OK this is clearly a bug then in Komplete Kontrol because I'm now finding several other params that only work one way - for example I also can assign Val->Env and Xfd Width to knobs but the knobs in Komplete Kontrol move if I move the assigned knobs on Modwave, but not the other way round. This is on a Mac Studio M1 Max and Ventura (VST3 Native mode)
New update fixes this - now when I move the touched param it turns from off to on and I can access XY control via knobs, so it obviously was a bug before (at least in Komplete Kontrol or with automation not cc). Thanks for the quick fix

I'm a little surprised the buzz on this isn't as loud as I thought it would be. I was pretty surprised when I saw the announcement, as I wanted the keyboard before but because I've had too many problems getting broken hardware in my studio repaired, I go for software whenever I can...not that anybody really cares what I'm thinking haha. But, all this just to say I'm going to purchase this even though I absolutely don't need it with all the softsynths I have. But I think Korg deserves my money and support on this one. Oh, and I never owned a DW8000, but I remember playing one patch about 3 decades ago that was so damn phat I swore I was going to buy one someday, and remembered it when I first saw the ad for the Modwave.
Raul

I can confirm the update solves the CPU spikes and crackling for me as well.
i7-9700, 32GB, 2TB Nvme, Win 11, Live 11 Suite

There is now a NKS template for controlling Modwave using Komplete Kontrol in the VST3 folder of the NKS User Library (see my sig)

Return to “Instruments”