FL Studio 21 officially released

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Resonant- Serpent
KVRist
312 posts since 23 Sep, 2008

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:42 pm

I had my old computer for over a decade, and could never get the FL Studio demo to run. It would hitch/crash and I'd uninstall. This would happen every couple of years that I had that old computer. At the end of last year I built a brand new machine. I was really fed up with the constraints in Live. It was actually making me depressed how much I hated that program, but was still using it rewired to Cubase because of the samples in Live. Then, Cubase dropped Rewire and I was hamstrung.

I remembered FL Studio and did some research. Downloaded the program and it ran great. I was surprised at how expansive the internal workings of the program were, especially the Patcher. Being able to put patterns anywhere on the grid instead of everything in it's own lane is what really sold me. I could make these little clusters of music and build it all into a much larger thing. It was different compared to every other program I was using, and that's exactly what I wanted. It's making music fun again.

I ended up getting the top package and the dedicated controller. The first day I had it set up I was already making music and it felt intuitive. I think the new update is great, and items such as the crossfade functions and themes fix what I was initially wanting. For the way I work, I have no complaints. The developers seem to be closely connected to their base, which is the opposite of Live and Cubase. If any of the developers are reading this, I want to thank you.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

OSWProduction
KVRer
26 posts since 2 Jul, 2020

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:05 pm

About the patterns... I've been hybridising this workflow.. I use them like a musical 'sketch'
Most of the time like was said I start with some drum pattern, then a pattern with musical stuff, sequence a bit, merge all patterns, do some manual editing, and then splitting again to separate instrument tracks in the mixer for bouncing, which is great and really quick. Throughout the project I tend to split and merge multiple times, and it has become a vital part of my workflow. And for some specific edits and chopping, it's just essential to use the patterns to do it efficiently....

Igro
KVRAF
4598 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:15 pm

Does anyone can explain me what exactly the option "lock to the content" does? If I tick that option, I still can move clips around to any tracks in the playlist.

xbitz
KVRAF
3986 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:01 am

^^^ it's not about moving it's about inserting, just click into the locked row with the pencil tool
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz
KVRAF
3986 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:05 am

OSWProduction wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:05 pm About the patterns... I've been hybridising this workflow.. I use them like a musical 'sketch'
Most of the time like was said I start with some drum pattern, then a pattern with musical stuff, sequence a bit, merge all patterns, do some manual editing, and then splitting again to separate instrument tracks in the mixer for bouncing, which is great and really quick. Throughout the project I tend to split and merge multiple times, and it has become a vital part of my workflow. And for some specific edits and chopping, it's just essential to use the patterns to do it efficiently....
at least FLS doesn't make you lazy in Logic the first step is the drummer :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqqm5K9TzZQ
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

gruberman
KVRist
287 posts since 30 Aug, 2002

Post Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:40 am

memrise wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:20 pm Wait, you're right, I've never used patterns as actual patterns either. Sure, I would start off in the channel rack and build, but eventually I would always split by channel and then go from there. And I started on FL Studio, too. :lol:

Anyway I've switched to Logic a long time ago, I may check out what's happening with FL every now and then, but you wont catch me routing channels to the mixer no more. :hihi:
You don't even need the step sequencer and the routing is done for you.
I5-8600K, 16 GB, Presonus Audiobox USB 96, Fl Studio, Reason 11, Studio One 5 Artist.

musicproducerdee
KVRist
121 posts since 9 Nov, 2020

Post Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:50 am

I just uninstalled FL Studio 21 after giving FL another chance, yet again. At this point I'm pretty sure it's not gonna work out for me & this DAW, which is sad, because it's the first DAW I ever purchased and used extensively. In the past, I'd say to myself that the lack of theming options or the lack of options to change the visual aspect of the DAW was getting in my way from using it. I guess after using other DAW's like Ableton, Bitwig & Studio One have just made it even more difficult for me to enjoy FL Studio. Everytime I open it up, I'm already annoyed by the setup before I even begin producing music. It's the tiny things that annoy me as well, like the word "Fruity" as the prefix of the plugins. I don't want a fruity compressor, I just want a compressor, lol. I know I know.

Igro
KVRAF

Post Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:22 am

musicproducerdee wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:50 am It's the tiny things that annoy me as well, like the word "Fruity" as the prefix of the plugins. I don't want a fruity compressor, I just want a compressor, lol. I know I know.
It is actually useful. When I search for compressors in the search bar, I know where is the IL compressor in that list.

musicproducerdee
KVRist
121 posts since 9 Nov, 2020

Post Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:11 am

Igro wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:22 am
musicproducerdee wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:50 am It's the tiny things that annoy me as well, like the word "Fruity" as the prefix of the plugins. I don't want a fruity compressor, I just want a compressor, lol. I know I know.
It is actually useful. When I search for compressors in the search bar, I know where is the IL compressor in that list.
How's that any different from naming it "compressor"? If you have third party compressors installed, obviously they're named differently/not compressor.

Igro
KVRAF

Post Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:36 am

musicproducerdee wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:11 am
How's that any different from naming it "compressor"? If you have third party compressors installed, obviously they're named differently/not compressor.
to be honest I don't that really care. They can call it tutty frutty titty compressor even. It won't change the functionality.

Unaspected
KVRAF
3177 posts since 4 May, 2012

Post Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:47 am

Igro wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:36 am
to be honest I don't that really care. They can call it tutty frutty titty compressor even. It won't change the functionality.
You could always rename the dll or its link name. :shrug:

Mac Hine
KVRist
257 posts since 24 Sep, 2004 from Finland

Post Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:58 am

"Audio Clips - Integrated envelopes with fade in/out, precise level control and automated crossfades."

I hope they expand this to whole volume automation in next updates. So that volume automation would be direct and would show the change directly on wav (like in fade in and out). I think it works in cubase like that?

Have not tested yet but best feature in this new update may be the saving samples directly under project directory. If it works like I hope, it will be best update ever :)

Trensharo
KVRist
427 posts since 29 Dec, 2019

Post Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:59 am

Unaspected wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:47 am
Igro wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:36 am
You could always rename the dll or its link name. :shrug:
That creates additional maintenance headaches when doing updates, etc. and the file is named differently.

I ran into this issue with Native Instruments plug-ins. If you tend to keep your VST3 plug-ins organized into folders, then the updaters will not update the VST3 plug-ins because it only updates them if it sees them in the default installation directory (the root of the VST3 directory on Windows). If you move them to a subdirectory, then you end up with a bunch of old VSTs and updated VST2 plug-ins on your system.

Wouldn't be surprised if some people are running like like that, because they haven't realized it yet.

Same thing can happen to other third party plug-ins. That, or you end up with duplicates showing up in your plug-in browser because there are two plug-ins with different names installed (or you're using one or the other and don't know, which can break projects if you delete the duplicate later, since the plug-in ID will often clash and the DAW will have to make a choice).

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trancit
KVRAF
3774 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Post Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:05 am

Trensharo wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:59 am That creates additional maintenance headaches when doing updates, etc. and the file is named differently.
It doesn´t when you just rename the link file (=.fst) in your plugin database (in "Effects" and "Generators" not in the "Installed" one (these will be overwritten with each scan respectively original named ones will be created additionally)!)...

No matter if you name the file whatever suits your needs it
1. doesn´t touch the original file (dll or vst3)
2. FLS will always assign to the correct plugin... if updated or not (as long as the plugin has the same ID after an update)

This is what the database is about... organize your plugins the way you want and if you like 15 different settings of the plugin with a name of your choice as seperate entries or even different categories...

Choikdoi
KVRist
169 posts since 11 Jun, 2020

Post Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:52 am

Can someone please let me know if it's possible to route MIDI sequencer / generator VSTs through the native FL Studio instruments? I remember trying in previous versions and not being able to, is this something that's been implemented yet?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”