Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

Atlatnesiti wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:05 am So sorry to sound like a broken record but, when if ever can we expect VST3..?
As I’ve mentioned in my previous, unanswered posts, Roland plugins are the only ones blacklisted by Cubase 12 Pro running in native Apple Silicone mode… :x
Oh. The joy of owning Mac Products and hoping that the wind blows in the right direction after a new os or chip update :party:

D-Fusion wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:39 am
Atlatnesiti wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:05 am So sorry to sound like a broken record but, when if ever can we expect VST3..?
As I’ve mentioned in my previous, unanswered posts, Roland plugins are the only ones blacklisted by Cubase 12 Pro running in native Apple Silicone mode… :x
Oh. The joy of owning Mac Products and hoping that the wind blows in the right direction after a new os or chip update :party:
Oh joy to owning Windows products and seeing “blue screen of death” :wink:
But this is not about Mac Vs Pc
Let’s get back on track please

Atlatnesiti wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:46 am
Stuck in the nineties? :lol:

Now speaking seriouly, it's annoying to always see Mac users claiming this and that doesn't work, when it's clearly Apple's fault, as if developer hours are for free, and time is not a finite resource.

Every day developers spend correcting issues in macOS is a day wasted in correcting problems that affect ALL users, and a day wasted in developing NEW FEATURES and creating NEW PRODUCTS. As a Windows user, I wish there were two developer teams, one just for Windows and another for Mac. I am convinced that, in a few years, Windows products would be miles ahead, since developers could concentrate in effectively developing them and creating new ones, instead of being stuck correcting Apples' issues and mistakes over and over.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

And your point is…
Roland have updated all of their software to Apple Silicone 😀
Roland just forgot to update VST2 to VST3 and therefore it is blacklisted

Atlatnesiti wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:07 am And your point is…
My point? If you didn't get it yet, it will be pointless explaining it to you. :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

Atlatnesiti wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:07 am And your point is…
Which plugin is this? I just had a look and all the Roland Cloud plugins are listed as VST2.4 and VST 3.6 in Cubase. I'm on Windows 11 I don't know if that makes any difference?
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

fmr wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:58 am
Atlatnesiti wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:46 am
Stuck in the nineties? :lol:

Now speaking seriouly, it's annoying to alway see Mac users claiming this and that doesn't work, when it's clearly Apple's fault, as if developer hours are for free, and time is not a finite resource.

Every day developers spend correcting issues in macOS is a day wasted in correcting problems that affect ALL users, and a day wasted in developing NEW FEATURES and creating NEW PRODUCTS. As a Windows user, I wish there were two developer teams, one just for Windows and another for Mac. I am convinced that, in a few years, Windows products would be miles ahead, since developers could concentrate in effectively developing them and creating new ones, instead of being stuck correcting Apples' issues and mistakes over and over.
More and more developers should stop updating each osx requirements and forward the users to win compatibility- otherwise Apple is doing what they want.

Personally I love the Roland sound, and Play 4 Life deal is IMHO a great value - one whole year to demo everything and then pick the “legendary” instruments. Bit of a shame about the aliasing on the SH2.

Yeah, but no.

They need to get their act together and run the compiler to make it compatible. Many 1 man operated developers do it in a single day. Some take years (hello NI). It is not like the whole plugin needs reprogramming or so.

In other words, they (developers) just dont give a shit.

One man developers using frameworks like JUCE can recompile their plugins in a day when the framework is ready for Apple’s latest whim OS change, but that’s not everyone and there are arguments for not using certain frameworks whether licensing or not having total control over plugin performance.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Septic Underground wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:50 pm

Yeah, but no.

They need to get their act together and run the compiler to make it compatible. Many 1 man operated developers do it in a single day. Some take years (hello NI). It is not like the whole plugin needs reprogramming or so.

In other words, they (developers) just dont give a shit.
I'm not a programmer, but from the feedback I occasionaly have from programmers, it's far from "run the compiler to make it compatible". Apple usually breaks compatibility on a lot of stuff, abandoning long time supported platforms, breaking compatibility for whatever obscure reasons related to their inner OS workings, etc. One recent example was the abandoning of OpenGL platform, which forced several developers to completely reprogram their plug-ins in what concerns the GUI (and those who do it report it's no easy task to achieve). Besides, the newly supported graphics platform (Metal) is not even cross-platform (contrary to what happened with OpenGL), which implies having two different codes, one for Mac and another for Windows.

Nothing of this adds anything to the user experience or to the audio performance of the virtual instruments and processing plug-ins, yet they mean a heavy burden on developers. My experience is that developers DO GIVE A SHIT, yet it's hard to get back to zero every year, and not even being able to charge for the work. Anyone with better insights on programming feel free to correct me.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:51 pm I'm not a programmer, but from the feedback I occasionaly have from programmers, it's far from "run the compiler to make it compatible". Apple usually breaks compatibility on a lot of stuff, abandoning long time supported platforms, breaking compatibility for whatever obscure reasons related to their inner OS workings, etc. One recent example was the abandoning of OpenGL platform, which forced several developers to completely reprogram their plug-ins in what concerns the GUI (and those who do it report it's no easy task to achieve). Besides, the newly supported graphics platform (Metal) is not even cross-platform (contrary to what happened with OpenGL), which implies having two different codes, one for Mac and another for Windows.

Nothing of this adds anything to the user experience or to the audio performance of the virtual instruments and processing plug-ins, yet they mean a heavy burden on developers. My experience is that developers DO GIVE A SHIT, yet it's hard to get back to zero every year, and not even being able to charge for the work. Anyone with better insights on programming feel free to correct me.
Every year? Metal has been around for 8 years now and developers have had YEARS to update. There are options on macOS like MoltenGL (OpenGL API written on top of Metal) or MoltenVK (Vulkan API written on top of Metal) to make these tasks easier. Metal/Vulkan/D3D12 are all modern graphics frameworks that are built for modern GPU design. OpenGL came out in 1992 and had its last major revision in 2017. It is no longer in active development.

And OpenGL is still in macOS Ventura, even on M1. Hasn't been updated in years but its still there.

There are a handful (even a handful? I know of one or two) that complain about this stuff. The others seem to somehow keep up with it all and keep releasing updates to their products. Odd isn't it? Even NI is managing it and they've got years and years and years of tech debt to overcome. Arturia? Smart devs who apparently did something right because they've got a huge catalog they've kept up with.

Should I complain that AudioThing just updated Wires to support Windows 11? Or that he's spending time working on Linux version?

You may know too much.

[deleted]

Brian.McClelland wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:58 pm V-Synth is definitely one of the more requested instruments. We are also looking into more Fantom style scenes and setups between hardware and software. This is on our radar for feature requests for sure.
Brian, this sounds just great. A fully fledged V-Synth VST could be a game changer. I still enjoy my V-Synth XT immensely.

How about something in the vein of the technological marvel that is your Jupiter 80? The layered sounds there are so impressive. Maybe some of that could be ported into Zenology or something?

I do understand why Roland still doesn't give us Integra 7 SuperNatural acoustic sounds, as these are still being sold as hardware and a huge company may not want to blur the lines too much between current HW and SW. However if you look at Korg - their current offerings are also native. The Modwave and the Wavestate both are 1:1 software recreations.
So it would be super cool to use your current offerings natively in the box.

Return to “Instruments”