DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Hi Jürgen!

I am having an issue with creating new fixed length clips when launch quantization is turned on. I am on macOS 13.1, Bitwig 4.4.6, DrivenByMoss 19, Novation Launchpad X.

Steps to reproduce:
In Bitwig under PLAY set default launch quantization to e.g. 2 Bars.
Add a track with an instrument.
On Launchpad X, press Capture MIDI and use bottom row to select e.g. 2 Bars fixed length.
With transport running (or without), press the 'New Clip' button and start playing notes.

The played notes are inserted approximately a bar ahead of the playhead instead of at the playhead.

Is there something I'm missing or is this a bug?

Liebe Grüsse aus der Schweiz und herzlichen Dank für Deine tolle Arbeit!

Hallo,
Great work! I just watched your video about the Electra one Controller, which looks awesome. I m new to Bitwig, its scripts, and this controller, and i m focused on creating music live, thinking about switching from Ableton to Bitwig, so sorry that i m curious and have a few questions:

1. How customizable is the Electra One interface? Could i create my own Controller-pages in some sort of editor, with knobs/faders/buttons? i m asking because for example on the mixer page i would delete the "Pan" section, and squeeze the rec-mute-solo-select buttons together vertically, creating more space than just 6x6, for including 3 Sends. Resulting in a better overview and LIVE performance efficiancy on one page, basically resembling a customized Novation Launchkontrol XL with 3 Send-rows ;)

2. Will it be possible to have a clip-view-page like a Launchpad, while making use of the touchscreen advantages? I mean: Showing a grid of 8x8 clips, in their Bitwig-Coloring, with their Bitwig-Names, and ideally also with the Bitwig-Playhead! That would be incredible, cause it would be the first time the user could see the coloring, the NAME, and even the play-head-progression directly in each clip, in a Launchpad!!! :)

3. Would it be possible to also have a "Automation" Page, which opens automatically with the shortcut "Toggle Existing Automation shown for selected track" - enabling the user to see up to 6 Automation Lanes of a currently selected loop, which can be edited via the touchscreen (finger-movement-drawing of the automation-lines)? Would be awesome!

--------------------------------
General Bitwig script-questions:

4. i couldn't find an answer to: Is there a way to emulate a simple Loopstation like the RC505 in Bitwig? How to do audio-overdub? There's no audio-overdub in Bitwig-Clips, and no Looper Plugin. It would have to be a Looperplugin which really emulates a good Loopstation like the RC505 (or Loopy Pro!), showing all Loopers and their status visually at once, not like the Ableton Looper which only shows ONE looper at once, haha :) Is there a way to achieve this, or do i have to pray for Bitwig-developers to someday implement audio-overdub in clips or a good Looperplugin?

5. I can't find an assignable shortcut-list for any of the functions of the lower part of the Bitwig “PLAY” Menu. E.g.: How to pre-determine clip-length bar-amount without having to click "play-post recording action - entering value...." within Bitwig?
It appears that pre-determined clip-length is possible with your script, but only with the Launchpad Pro Mk3, and therefore limited to its specific amount of bar-settings - besides, i d prefer not to buy a new controller just for that. I love my tiny Launchpad Mini MK3 :)
I remember a m4l device called “clip length recorder” as a workaround of this issue within Ableton,, is there some workaround like this for Bitwig too?

I feel a bit bad for the amount of text, but that’s being begeistert by hard+software!

Beste Grüße aus Bayern, Phil
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

lindwyrm wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:01 am Hi Jürgen!

I am having an issue with creating new fixed length clips when launch quantization is turned on. I am on macOS 13.1, Bitwig 4.4.6, DrivenByMoss 19, Novation Launchpad X.

Steps to reproduce:
On Launchpad X, press Capture MIDI and use bottom row to select e.g. 2 Bars fixed length.
With transport running (or without), press the 'New Clip' button and start playing notes.

The played notes are inserted approximately a bar ahead of the playhead instead of at the playhead.

I'm not sure if this is the expected behaviour and I cannot change it. Please get in touch with Bitwig support.

There is a quite lively German-speaking Bitwig community at the sequencer forum, if you want to take a look: https://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/th ... rn.151443/

nowiamone wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:17 pm 1. How customizable is the Electra One interface? Could i create my own Controller-pages in some sort of editor, with knobs/faders/buttons? i m asking because for example on the mixer page i would delete the "Pan" section, and squeeze the rec-mute-solo-select buttons together vertically, creating more space than just 6x6, for including 3 Sends. Resulting in a better overview and LIVE performance efficiancy on one page, basically resembling a customized Novation Launchkontrol XL with 3 Send-rows ;)
It is how it is. Furthermore, the 6x6 matrix on the screen is fixed and cannot be changed.
nowiamone wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:17 pm 2. Will it be possible to have a clip-view-page like a Launchpad, while making use of the touchscreen advantages? I mean: Showing a grid of 8x8 clips, in their Bitwig-Coloring, with their Bitwig-Names, and ideally also with the Bitwig-Playhead! That would be incredible, cause it would be the first time the user could see the coloring, the NAME, and even the play-head-progression directly in each clip, in a Launchpad!!! :)
Session view is on my todo list. However, as said above 8x8 won't be possible. Clip playheads are sadly not yet available in the Bitwig API.
nowiamone wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:17 pm 3. Would it be possible to also have a "Automation" Page, which opens automatically with the shortcut "Toggle Existing Automation shown for selected track" - enabling the user to see up to 6 Automation Lanes of a currently selected loop, which can be edited via the touchscreen (finger-movement-drawing of the automation-lines)? Would be awesome!
Sadly, also not possible. Always send such wishes to the Bitwig support as well!
nowiamone wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:17 pm General Bitwig script-questions:
Please post them in the top-level Bitwig forum, where you will get more answers.

DrivenByMoss 19.1.0 is online!

Get it from https://mossgrabers.de
  • Fire
    • New: Device and parameter page names are shown now in two lines instead of one.
  • Launchpad
    • New: Added clip length (loop area) mode. Press User/Custom on the Pro models. On the other models use the mode selection.
    • New: User parameter mode is now available on all models.
    • New: Pressing Device button twice switches to User parameter mode.
    • New: Rearranged the functions of the Scene buttons in Device mode. Last button opens now the browser.
    • New: Improved harmonization of mode colors.
    • Fixed: Pro Mk3: Tracks could not not be selected.
  • Maschine
    • Fixed: Erase+Master Knob did not work to reset parameters.
  • Push
    • New: The 'Clip' mode was renamed to 'Clip Length'. The length (actually the loop) is now colored in the clips' color.
Enjoy!

moss wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:27 pm
lindwyrm wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:01 am Hi Jürgen!

Steps to reproduce:

I'm not sure if this is the expected behaviour and I cannot change it. Please get in touch with Bitwig support.

There is a quite lively German-speaking Bitwig community at the sequencer forum, if you want to take a look: https://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/th ... rn.151443/
Thanks a lot - just downloaded 19.1.0 and now the issue appears to be gone :)

EDIT: wait, no it didn't - initially it was and now it's back. will contact them - thanks!

EDIT 2: found the bug, documenting if someone else looks for it: if Loop + default launch quantization are on, the played notes are inserted a loop length ahead. if loop is turned off, the notes are inserted in the right place

moss wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:29 pm DrivenByMoss 19.1.0 is online!

Get it from https://mossgrabers.de
  • Fire
    • New: Device and parameter page names are shown now in two lines instead of one.
  • Launchpad
    • New: Added clip length (loop area) mode. Press User/Custom on the Pro models. On the other models use the mode selection.
    • New: User parameter mode is now available on all models.
    • New: Pressing Device button twice switches to User parameter mode.
    • New: Rearranged the functions of the Scene buttons in Device mode. Last button opens now the browser.
    • New: Improved harmonization of mode colors.
    • Fixed: Pro Mk3: Tracks could not not be selected.
  • Maschine
    • Fixed: Erase+Master Knob did not work to reset parameters.
  • Push
    • New: The 'Clip' mode was renamed to 'Clip Length'. The length (actually the loop) is now colored in the clips' color.
Enjoy!
Here are the new Launchpad features:
https://youtu.be/12Xd50Ohe1c

Thanks Jürgen!

I installed 19.1 and checked out the new clip length stuff now under the Custom button on LP Pro Mk3. Then I went on doing other things, but when I later pressed the Custom button, nothing happened. I have tried pressing it under various conditions (with a clip selected) but nothing happens.

LarsDaniel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:45 pm Thanks Jürgen!

I installed 19.1 and checked out the new clip length stuff now under the Custom button on LP Pro Mk3. Then I went on doing other things, but when I later pressed the Custom button, nothing happened. I have tried pressing it under various conditions (with a clip selected) but nothing happens.
Would be great if you can find some repeatable steps.

moss wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:54 pm

Well, it is very repeatable in the way that when I press Custom, nothing happens. 😊
Not sure what I can do as it has been consistant except right after the install. With some luck somebody else will run into this and perhaps we will then gain some insight. But anyway, it is no biggie.

Hello Jürgen,

Love the new update DbM v19.1 for the Launchpad Pro Mk3! The button change took just a bit of time to get used to; it is more efficient as my fingers do not have to dance as much. (thank you for this!)

Noticed a minor issue when adding a new instrument track and trying to open the browser to add a device/vst - it doesn't open. Note that if there is already a device in the Instrument track, then the browser opens and behaves as expected.

Steps to reproduce (white buttons as matrix; columns are letters and rows are numbers):
1. Shift + A6 --> Adds new instrument track
2. Press "Device" button --> Enters into device mode
3. "> Print to clip" button --> should open browser, yet nothing happens.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong (I followed the manual). Thank you!

LarsDaniel wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:47 pm
moss wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:54 pm

Well, it is very repeatable in the way that when I press Custom, nothing happens. 😊
Not sure what I can do as it has been consistant except right after the install. With some luck somebody else will run into this and perhaps we will then gain some insight. But anyway, it is no biggie.
I cannot reproduce it but could be that this was a side effect from another bug I fixed. Can you please check if there is an exception shown in the Control Script Console?

dnalord77 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:55 pm Hello Jürgen,

Love the new update DbM v19.1 for the Launchpad Pro Mk3! The button change took just a bit of time to get used to; it is more efficient as my fingers do not have to dance as much. (thank you for this!)

Noticed a minor issue when adding a new instrument track and trying to open the browser to add a device/vst - it doesn't open. Note that if there is already a device in the Instrument track, then the browser opens and behaves as expected.

Steps to reproduce (white buttons as matrix; columns are letters and rows are numbers):
1. Shift + A6 --> Adds new instrument track
2. Press "Device" button --> Enters into device mode
3. "> Print to clip" button --> should open browser, yet nothing happens.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong (I followed the manual). Thank you!
Argh, stupid bug. Will be fixed in the next update!

Launchpad X user here: the ability to set the clip loop length is a godsend! Thanks!
Little bug I discovered:
In the Shift Menu (Capture MIDI button on the X) pressing the button for "Overdub Clip On/Off" activates arrange record, ie. exactly the same function as the button to the left of it.

Oraclexl wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:38 pm Launchpad X user here: the ability to set the clip loop length is a godsend! Thanks!
Little bug I discovered:
In the Shift Menu (Capture MIDI button on the X) pressing the button for "Overdub Clip On/Off" activates arrange record, ie. exactly the same function as the button to the left of it.
Check the new record settings which were introduced in the previous update. In the first release I had both set to the same option, which did not make too much sense.

Return to “Controller Scripting”