Best of the best colored/character compressors

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TDR Molot GE

DMG Trackcomp 2
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

Mathematics wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:51 am
_leras wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:54 am This thread has a big problem in that people don't really get into the detail of what type of material they are trying to compress.
For this reason...I'm out.
Yeah that is a very good point. Everything is subjective and depends alot on context.

Kush!

Still would like to know the context, there is no such thing as “best” without one.

_leras wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:54 am This thread has a big problem in that people don't really get into the detail of what type of material they are trying to compress.

For electronic music I really think that on individual tracks compressors make a lot less difference than they do for vocals, or other real/acoustic instrumentation.

I still think at bus and master level good compressors can really bring something. I have different compressors I think are good for drums, other buses, vocals and main mix bus. I think this thread misses the nuance without this.
Every compressor fits if you know how to turn its knobs

TDR Molot

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:17 am Every compressor fits if you know how to turn its knobs
:tu:

Modern Deathcore inspired by Distressor.
This comp is a color beast!

I stay with my Compressor set in Logic Pro.

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:17 am Every compressor fits if you know how to turn its knobs
Sure, But not all have attack and release even.

There's a huge difference between a simple LA-2A and something like the very technical Elysia Alpha.

_leras wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:51 pm

There's a huge difference between a simple LA-2A and something like the very technical Elysia Alpha.
The point is it’s all very source dependent, and what target sound you’re after.
I dont get “bus compressors”. A bus can have many different sources.
I compress the my vocal with proc2 usually. And not on “bus” setting.

_leras wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:51 pm

That's actually part of what makes opto-compressors so great (musical, adaptive & easy to adjust).

I can't think of any source that wouldn't benefit from a good opto-comp. If I could take one single compressor-plugin with me on the proverbial island, it wouldn't be a super-flexible monster like DC8C 3, but rather the IKMM White 2a.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

revvy wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:11 am-:-
+1 :P

PSP VintageWarmer2;
PSP Impressor.

I'm partial to Klanghelm MJUC & DC8C3

Return to “Effects”