Am I the only one who doesnt like/has no use for Soothe2?!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I went with the less expensive DSEQ, instead, for the rare times I'd want/need such a tool.

i am happy with gullfoss although i do like how soothe can have sharper dips which could be handy. but i bought gullfoss on intro pricing which i think was like $100 off the asking price and i have no use for two of these types. i must say i was happy when they gave us a mastering version with finer increments for free. i do not use it for mastering per se but i do sometimes use it on the main/2bus after overall mixing to see if it improves what i have done. if it don't i don't use it lol if it does i leave it then dump for mastering

so no i don't dislike soothe... i just have no use for it at least for the price. if it were on sale cheap i would probably grab it just for the sharpen function.

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Yeah too cheap to pay for it, myself.

What
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I try so hard to hear what soothe does to resonances, but unless I exaggerate it I can't hear what it actually removes or suppresses. Is it the problem with my ears?

Fornicras wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:59 am I try so hard to hear what soothe does to resonances, but unless I exaggerate it I can't hear what it actually removes or suppresses. Is it the problem with my ears?
If you press the delta button soothe lets you hear what it suppresses. Or you think that is not accurate?

I love soothe. Use it a lot. Also use it to side-chain specific frequencies. And I always end up putting sooth on the master. I think I could get a better result if I put the effort into eq'ing. But soothe saves me a lot of time. So I am a soothe2 fan! :tu:

To be honest, I am impressed with Soothe....
But, at the same time, I agree with OP that ProQ 3 does a fantastic job in Dynamic mode. Fantastic.
And maybe I could save money not having Soothe.
Maybe not, sure...

I like it - it's the only plugin I've spent more than pocket money on for a long time. It's subtle, but I bought it because it was like a magic 'make it sound better' button when I trialled it. I'm often combining things recorded in very different acoustics and it's good at getting rid of the weird stuff that's hard to pin down with EQ or filters.

Tendou wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:10 pm
elxsound wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:54 pm I wouldn’t use it as a Q3 (or any EQ) replacement. I also wouldn’t use it as a replacement for something like Pro-DS.

Soothe 2 is there to tame ultra harsh resonances and it really should be transparent, unless it’s being pushed to extremes.

Also they do Black Friday sales, and I think maybe a summer sale?
Im faster and more on point removing the harsh frequencies with dynamic eq, thats what I meant.
I bought it on sale 💁‍♂️
@ploki someone who thinks exactly as I do 😬👍
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

jamcat wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:17 pm Literally none of the best albums ever recorded used any of that stuff. So I doubt it's suddenly needed now.
Literally most of the best albums ever recorded were made by experienced engineers/producers in environments designed to minimize unwanted artifacts and resonances... :D

I think that the need for such a tool is very much context dependent. As an electronic musician completely in control of the sound generation process perhaps it is not as valuable as in other contexts. I recently composed a project however where I could see the shifting resonances across many tracks via the pro-q spectrum and indeed soothe 2 was pretty usefull. But I ended up using the Bitwig loud split spectral device.

Winstontaneous wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:57 pm
jamcat wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:17 pm Literally none of the best albums ever recorded used any of that stuff. So I doubt it's suddenly needed now.
Literally most of the best albums ever recorded were made by experienced engineers/producers in environments designed to minimize unwanted artifacts and resonances... :D
You're probably overestimating that.

Resonances are part of any natural space, and just about anything made out of matter. Resonances has always been a part of the fabric of music, and they are the heart and soul of an acoustic instrument. A lot of albums that I listen to and love have excessive amounts of them. I don't think people even thought much about these things at the time. I mean, maybe Steely Dan and Rush did. But everyone else was just trying to get their album done in the 4 days they had some no-name studio on lockout.

And despite the questionable quality of the recordings, these are still the best albums ever made. Because it's really all about everything else that went into them.

I think when you start trying to artificially strip away the natural tone of a recording, you lose something essential, and you may just end up with something boring and lifeless.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Soothe is great for taming harsh frequencies especially with acoustic guitar !!

jamcat wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:16 pm
Winstontaneous wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:57 pm
You're probably overestimating that.

Resonances are part of any natural space, and just about anything made out of matter. Resonances has always been a part of the fabric of music, and they are the heart and soul of an acoustic instrument. A lot of albums that I listen to and love have excessive amounts of them. I don't think people even thought much about these things at the time. I mean, maybe Steely Dan and Rush did. But everyone else was just trying to get their album done in the 4 days they had some no-name studio on lockout.

And despite the questionable quality of the recordings, these are still the best albums ever made. Because it's really all about everything else that went into them.

I think when you start trying to artificially strip away the natural tone of a recording, you lose something essential, and you may just end up with something boring and lifeless.
It’s not that everyone or even anyone, needs Sooth2.

For harsh frequencies, Sooth2 is easy to use if you need to remove them quickly and transparently.

It’s not about stripping away sounds that make it sound boring and lifeless… it’s there to remove *quickly* those things that can change the focal point of a recording.

Yes, you can make do without it, but this is faster, easier and when used correctly it can be more transparent (depending on what tools you wish to compare it to).

In my opinion Soothe is for people who don’t know how to record properly. A lot of people who have a “studio” don’t treat the rooms acoustics or have an idea how to setup properly (using a mic for example) For a large part what’s causing this is the mediocre input, bad acoustics, even worse artists and like everything else these days, you don’t have to have any knowledge just fiddle some knobs (quote of someone “ i don’t know/hear what it does but the mix sounds better”) this is my point exactly. And even in the studio i worked at, a professional “studio” so to speak, Soothe was used in commercials, voice overs and even for total mixes. You know why this studio did this? (small intro) the owner was so proud of his vocal booth he made himself and they use some decent overpriced mics but still people could hear harshness and resonances, he thought it was the glass between the vocalbooth and cr. He bought a new mic (even more expensive) also altered it’s place but things got worse as the mic was more sensitive. After some inspection(it started with a few claps in the vocalbooth) resonating frequencies came up from almost everywhere. It was to much work or money to alter the acoustics so Soothe came in to play(it actually was used for every single recording).I have worked with it but in my opinion you don’t need Soothe when you have a more in depth knowledge of audio/sound/acoustics/mixing and not to forget the most important, RECORDING. Saying this Soothe is fast and easy so every person (who’s willing to pay that amount) can use it. It will save time so you can earn more money.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”