ValhallaVintageVerb 3.0 Update - New Palace (Room) Mode Added

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Valhalla (plus Fog Convolver 2) covers all my reverb needs... incredible value and that keeps on improving!

Thanks Sean! :tu:

I haven't done a direct A/B or anything, just loaded it up playing electric guitar, but I think I'll end up using this much more than the other QRS plugin. While that one may be a slavish copy of the original hardware, I think the Valhalla interface and control set just jive with me a lot more. You can do some really cool stuff on this that you can't do on the QRS. Very good stuff!

Ooooh Nice. Just so happens I have 3 days off from tomorrow, so I'll have to go down to the studio and try out some lush palatial reverbs. VVV just gets better and betterer. Between that and Massive, I just don't need or want other reverbs, though I still occasionally use some convolution verb, but pretty well only ever the Bricasti & Quantec ones. If this is based on Quantecs then I have no doubt I'll be using VVV instead of the convolution. So all Sean needs to do now is come up with a Bricasti mode... nudge, nudge, :wink: :wink: :pray:

kritikon wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:17 amSo all Sean needs to do now is come up with a Bricasti mode... nudge, nudge, :wink: :wink: :pray:
How do you define a "Bricasti mode" ?

yep in possesssion since dec 2012 already :)
Thank you Sean for this continuous support.

kritikon wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:17 am So all Sean needs to do now is come up with a Bricasti mode...
According to Sean it can't be done on a conventional computer... (due to the way a Bricasti makes use of memory)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:40 pm
kritikon wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:17 am So all Sean needs to do now is come up with a Bricasti mode...
According to Sean it can't be done on a conventional computer... (due to the way a Bricasti makes use of memory)
I know that a decade ago he was concurring with Bricasti designer that it probably couldnt be done on a current Intel processor, but I dont know where he stands now. Do you know of a more up to date set of thoughts that might relate to more current offerings?
Im wondering because eg ARM CPUs seems to have a bit of a toehold in that previously DSP-only hardware space.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Vintage Verb continues to be the best plugin purchase I ever made.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:51 pm
jens wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:40 pm
I know that a decade ago he was concurring with Bricasti designer that it probably couldnt be done on a current Intel processor
Exactly - I was just about to correct myself - I digged up the old thread and compared CPUs - one of the fastest back then was the 4930K and a (rather conventional modern) 12700H mobile CPU has a singlecore Cinebench R23 score that's more than twice that of the 4930K, plus the latter had 12MB L3 Cache and no L2, while the 12700H has 11.5 L2 plus 24 L3, so yeah, I'd guess it can be done on better machines with relatively newish CPUs.

viewtopic.php?t=393688

I programmed Blackfins for audio for several years at Analog Devices, including several reverb algorithms.
My back of the envelope estimate is that the M7 is somewhat more powerful than a single core of any existing Intel processor. If the algorithm can't be divided into parallel threads (and many reverb algorithms can't), then it would be impossible to run this as a native plugin. Even if the algorithm could *barely* fit on a core, running that close to the max CPU of that core would result in stuttering in any real world situation.

The memory access speed of the M7 would also be difficult/impossible to reproduce on current Intel CPUs. Algorithms such as the Lexicon topologies tend to use around 1 to 2 seconds of delay memory, max. This will allow the memory to stay in the cache of modern CPUs. Casey has mentioned that the algorithm uses over 30 seconds of delay memory. This won't fit in the cache of modern CPUs, and would require a lot of swapping with the main memory, which is MUCH slower.

Blackfins also have hardware support for circular buffers, which is how delay lines are built. You can get faster delay lines on software reverbs w/o hardware circular buffer support by using bitwise tricks, but those hardware circular buffers allow for a HUGE number of delay taps to be calculated without breaking a sweat.

Over at Gearslutz, Casey has mentioned that he uses 32x16 bit multiplications where appropriate, as opposed to the 32x32 multiplications that are commonly used for audio. This suggests to me that the 32x16 bit multiplications are being used for delay taps, where a 16 bit coefficient would make no audible difference. It also suggests that Casey is working pretty close to the metal, as opposed to just running generic C code and letting the high power processors deal with the overhead.
Last edited by jens on Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

But anyway: let's a) not be unreasonably greedy (as if there ever was reasonable greed - :roll: @ myself) and b) not completely divert the thread's course from this lovely and extremely generous new addition to V³. :-D

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:57 pm
morelia wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:47 pm :eek: W T F? 10 years?
Right? It's still one of my go-to reverbs. Cytomic's The Glue is another one that's been out forever and still gets use. I think that one was released in 2009. Makes me feel every bit the middle-aged man that I am.
Same here. The Glue on the main bus, VVV as the main reverb.

really like the sound of this mode, it sounds quite deep and complex. I'm not sure I understand how the QRS works, I heard its different from most reverbs as it focuses on having a high density of frequency resonances. Increasing the 'size' knob seems to filter the reverb slightly and it adds a bit of distance. In a bigger room, the late reflections would be more filtered by the air than in a small room as they have travelled further.

This algorithm sounds more realistic than their other verbs imo, hopefully valhalla release a physically modelled reverb plugin. Or just a larger reverb plugin like stratus or 2c b2 with lots of customisation options would be cool, or soundstage placement like 2c precedence.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:49 am I haven't done a direct A/B or anything, just loaded it up playing electric guitar, but I think I'll end up using this much more than the other QRS plugin.
Right? It's amazing. I allowed myself to get carried away by my excitement when Quantum Evolution came out and so I purchased it right away without even demoing it - but then it turned out that I have a really hard time actually using it in a mix in a way that doesn't suck (or better: that I don't hate)...
and while this is just my initial impression of Palace I can't imagine at all a similiar situation here...
the modulation sounds so lovely on it - not there in the original - and turning up both the Early and Late Diffusion (past 40 /0 %) is really helpful too.
My favourite Color is still 1970s even with this one, and to be able to use that sort of vintage rendering with a more realistic algo like this is a wonderful option.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:54 pm The version number definitely made me go "hmm..." myself.
It's Valhalla-style understatement. This should be called VintageVerb X.

Imo it's an effing huge deal. It catapults the plugin to a whole new level.

Sean took the Quantec architecture and turned it into something vastly more versatile and I think also beautyful.

Edit: I wrote "Quantum" insetad of Quantec :dog:
Last edited by jens on Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This is exciting - look forwards to trying it out.

I just went to see if there was something to listen to on youtube... very sadly the most recent posts for VVV are just pages of spammed links to cracks. It's outrageous that Youtube allows that type of nonsense..

Return to “Effects”