Sonarworks SoundID Reference

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reference ID (system wide) keeps crashing every few minutes when my M1 machine is under load .. really annoying but since their architecture isn't fully ported to AS for now there's still hope

Do people use SoundID Reference for plain old listening to music, or just for mixing/mastering?

brd wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:59 am Do people use SoundID Reference for plain old listening to music, or just for mixing/mastering?
I use it for both. My personal stereo is also my audio monitoring system. When I play digital audio it goes through the same system as when I am working on music and audio. I have Reference on the main digital out of the computer so all audio goes through it.

Does anyone have any experience requesting a new headphone calibration profile? I'm using AKG K553 MKII but there is only a profile for AKG K553 PRO. I've reached out to AKG to try to find out if there is any difference other than the detachable cord, but I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with getting a requested profile added in.

Hi, I am installing SoundID Reference on my W10 PC and have a 1st Gen Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 as my audio interface. My PC is a multi-use machine, so I use it for general music listening, YouTube, gaming and making music so I like the idea of the systemwide app and have everything go through it.

I am a little confused about what's the best driver to use, should I choose WASAPI or ASIO as my device type? Presumably ASIO is better but I think the Scarlett is capable of doing both. And within that, if I do choose ASIO for device type, is Virtual Windows Audio to ASIO or Virtual ASIO to ASIO driver better?

My two main DAW's are Reaper and Mixcraft (I am migrating over to Reaper as Mixcraft has a lot of high CPU usage issues with VST's and Reaper seems to run them fine on my Intel i7 9700K). I know I can use a SoundID plugin with my DAW's but would it be better to bypass that and have a virtual ASIO SoundID selected as my audio output in a DAW so it just goes straight to the systemwide app?

Thanks for any help.

brd wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:59 am Do people use SoundID Reference for plain old listening to music, or just for mixing/mastering?
This is where Reference 'Systemwide' (before they changed the name to SoundID) really fell down for me. If I opened Youtube, Systemwide would pop up and want to assign a profile. Then I'd open Spotify and Systemwide would error, because Youtube was still open. So I'd close Youtube, and then Systemwide would freak out and want to apply a profile to Spotify - and it would do the same for literally everything, every browser window, Windows Media Player, etc.

I couldn't have my DAW open and watch Youtube at the same time... Systemwide and Windows would just be in constant conflict.

Since uninstalling Systemwide everything is good again. I decided I don't need correction just for general purpose music enjoyment.

I use the Headphones plugin religiously for mixing though.

BrianCarchase wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:23 pm ... so I like the idea of the systemwide app and have everything go through it.

I am a little confused about what's the best driver to use, should I choose WASAPI or ASIO as my device type? Presumably ASIO is better but I think the Scarlett is capable of doing both. And within that, if I do choose ASIO for device type, is Virtual Windows Audio to ASIO or Virtual ASIO to ASIO driver better?

... I know I can use a SoundID plugin with my DAW's but would it be better to bypass that and have a virtual ASIO SoundID selected as my audio output in a DAW so it just goes straight to the systemwide app?
Going by driver types described here :

https://www.sonarworks.com/support/soun ... 0020131919

Virtual Windows Audio to ASIO will give you systemwide calibration, but you need to use wasapi as the output format in your DAW & select the SoundID Reference audio device ( I do here on Win10 - been demoing SoundID for the past few days to compare it to a REW + Peace EQ + Voicemeter Banana setup )

The Virtual ASIO to ASIO driver won't give you systemwide calibration, but it doesn't require the SoundID DAW plugin on the master / monitor channel.
Just set the DAWs' output to the virtual asio device SoundID creates.

At least that's how I read it anyway.

I personally prefer systemwide calibration, so that you hear everything with the same 'eq'.

I have noticed the odd crackle when using wasapi mode in my DAW though.
Haven't spent too much time trouble shooting it so far, but no crackles when using the virtual asio driver.

Thanks MoodyB. I have used Virtual Windows Audio to ASIO driver and will use the SoundID plugin within my DAW as like you, I prefer the Systemwide app to be running on all my computer audio.

I was also having a few problems with crackles and pops and got in touch with both Focusrite (great support, love being able to talk to them over the phone) and Sonarworks and it may be a buffer size issue. Unfortunately as I use my computer for lots of different things such as gaming and have a mic plugged into it for voice chat in Discord, Focusrite said you need to set the sample rate to 48 and have the buffer set to 192 for it to work properly. This is fine for low latency but can cause issues when playing back audio. I did try higher buffer sizes but found the higher I went, the more crackles etc I would get. I think around 256 seemed to be a good compromise so I may set it to that for use in a DAW and then back to 192 when using Discord.

BrianCarchase wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:47 am Thanks MoodyB. I have used Virtual Windows Audio to ASIO driver and will use the SoundID plugin within my DAW as like you, I prefer the Systemwide app to be running on all my computer audio.
When using the Virtial Windows to ASIO driver you don't need the SoundID plugin running in your DAW, as the app is running systemwide so it will take any audio & correct it before it goes to the output device set in the SoundID application.

So select 'WASAPI' as the output format in your DAW, and select 'SoundID Reference Virtual Audio' as the output device.

If you run your DAW with the output format set to ASIO and the output device is your Focusrite soundcard, you are bypassing the SoundID application & systemwide correction, so that is when you would use the plugin to correct the audio.

Thanks MoodyB, that makes sense. The only trouble with selecting WASAPI as the input and SoundID as the output, this then only lets me use the first two inputs on the Scarlett and any other inputs aren't available.

That is why I had been using the ASIO in the DAW so I get access to all of the Scarlett's inputs (I use a few of the line inputs in particular) and can then stick the SoundID plugin on the master (then just disable it when I want to mix the tracks down to a WAV etc).

Would I better off disabling the systemwide app when I am in the DAW and using ASIO drivers, I know that the DAW bypasses systemwide altogether but if it's still running in the background on my computer, then it may still be using system resources?

BrianCarchase wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:11 pm Would I better off disabling the systemwide app when I am in the DAW and using ASIO drivers, I know that the DAW bypasses systemwide altogether but if it's still running in the background on my computer, then it may still be using system resources?
Worth a try at least? You might get better/lower latency in your DAW with it disabled.

I don't own a Focusrite interface, so I'm not sure how well it would handle 2 different types of audio streams at the same time - your daws' ASIO & Windows WASAPI if you were playing a youtube vid / audio file as reference for example.

brd wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:37 pm Does anyone have any experience requesting a new headphone calibration profile? I'm using AKG K553 MKII but there is only a profile for AKG K553 PRO. I've reached out to AKG to try to find out if there is any difference other than the detachable cord, but I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with getting a requested profile added in.
Did you have any luck with AKG support on this? I'm in the same boat - I have the K553 MKII and am not sure if either of the built-in profiles apply to this model.

dkmooers wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:58 pm Did you have any luck with AKG support on this? I'm in the same boat - I have the K553 MKII and am not sure if either of the built-in profiles apply to this model.
I contacted AKG support about this and they told me the K553 MKII and the K553 PRO models have different drivers so the profiles will not be interchangeable. I raised a request with Sonarworks for the K553 MKII to be supported, but that hasn't happened yet.

Okay great, maybe I will ping them as well with a +1.

Still NO Discount or Sale on Virtual Monitoring Add on for Existing Customers of Sonarworks SoundID Reference.

There has been about 3 to 4 Sales since Virtual Monitoring has been Released.
Currently they are running a SALE
and for the New Customers, They are getting Sound ID Software with Virtual Monitoring Add on Combo at a good Discount.

but still the same $49 for Existing Customers.
Shouldn't the Add Ons / New Features inside the Sound ID software should be Free as we're spending on Upgrades say from V3 to V4.
B Ray - Embrays - RAY
Valhalla Delay - 120 Presets, D16 Repeater - 80 Presets, Soundtoys Effectrack 150+ Presets, PA Unfiltered Audio BYOME - 100 Presets, Venomode Phrasebox - 100 Presets - https://gumroad.com/embrays

Return to “Effects”