Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

Hi, did the developer fixed the "Pigments what?" CPU usage on Odin 2?
aliasing plugin owner
:?

No. Odin has a per-sample modulation matrix, which is the biggest CPU eater.

I stumbled upon this synth just 2 days ago (how's that possible?).

I downloaded some additional preset packs here on KVRAudio, but I noticed (under Linux) that I cannot add all of them together in my library (the whole folder directly).
I have to import each preset one by one. Is this normal or is this just happening on my setup? Maybe this could be fixed somehow!
Perhaps this already has been asked here?
Get In Touch^^ Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hello, I have a question about the Oscilators.
Why does a sine wave always resonate at very low octaves with sawtooth and square?

To mimic it is with a simple analog oscilator set to sawtooth, turn octave way down and press a key.
I know this so or so similar from samplers, can it be that the oscillators are sampled waveforms? or are the waveforms low resolution?

I compared this to the following synths:
Obxd, Bazille, Diva, Repro, Surge, Tal Synths, none of these synths have this feature.
But in the internet I found someone else with this question. here the reference.
https://github.com/TheWaveWarden/odin2/issues/409 (https://github.com/TheWaveWarden/odin2/issues/409)

Odin II is still one of my favorite synths. I do wish, however, that:
1. Its CPU load wasn't so high.
2. It could be scaled to 125%. 100% is kind of small and 150% is unusable as it overshoots the entire screen.

I was going to add that they should add a sample layer to the oscillators, but the variety already on offer is enough, not to mention a sample layer might increase CPU load especially if it has a granular function.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Boy Wonder wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:17 pm Odin II is still one of my favorite synths. I do wish, however, that:
1. Its CPU load wasn't so high.
2. It could be scaled to 125%. 100% is kind of small and 150% is unusable as it overshoots the entire screen.

I was going to add that they should add a sample layer to the oscillators, but the variety already on offer is enough, not to mention a sample layer might increase CPU load especially if it has a granular function.
It's a great synth!!! I believe that the dev mentioned that he is working on a new synth. Not sure Odin is going to get any more updates... it is what it is...
Windows 10 and too many plugins

For me personally, the scale is fine.

I previously worked with Synth1 and Hive, but since both don't work any longer on my Linux system, I had to find something else, so I stumbled upon Odin2.

I'm still a n00b with synths though... (my main instrument is guitar)
Previously I used the default factory presets and started tweaking here and there and adjust to get the sound I needed, perhaps as everyone else does it in the beginning.
Mostly because I didn't need complicated output from it, it was just used as background tracks to guide my guitar.
Over time I wanted to get more out of it... But I'm still at novice level.

My next approach is leave my guitar for a while and ony create a synth song without anything else (except drum/beat samples).
Learning to work with a synth the decent way is new to me. But I feel Odin has all I need onboard.
The routing is very clear. (unlike many other vst's where it's mostly unclear which way to follow)

The only thing that's misleading me every time is the ADSR envelopes. I see 4 types of envelopes and I mostly don't know if some settings overlap each other or not, I never hear the difference when I switch some faders of another envelope.
Maybe it could be handy to visualize it so you can drag lines to shape the sound, like in other synths?
The modulation settings work fine, but it's a bit too much for my brain to control these things right now, will get into that later on. It always seems the LFO's are not doing much when I change their settings. Probably it's my ears...

I know there is a recipe cookbook out there for synth settings for specific sounds. But I'm wondering if there's a good manual or overview online aswel, to know which type of oscillator or type of sine/saw/square wave to combine with which other wave to get a specific good tone for bass, lead, pads,...

More tutorials on YT are always welcome, I already watched a few (grateful for the people who make them).
And yes, add your preset patch to KVR so others can download the new sounds too!

Why doesn't Hive work on your Linux system?

BBFG# wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:40 pm Why doesn't Hive work on your Linux system?
That's the question indeed.
It previously worked excellent on my other computer.
But since I switched to my other computer, I had to download the Hive software again, but they have a new updated version. I once managed to install with my license.
It worked for some time, but after a while when firing up the VST, my DAW crashes and shuts down.

I recently reïnstalled my linux distro to an upgraded one... perhaps I'll give it a try to install Hive again.

We're getting a bit off-topic here, so possible you should start a new thread in the u-he forum, or contact U-he support directly. But first, try downloading an older version from the archive at https://u-he.com/downloads/release-archive/hive/ and see if that helps.

(I've found that Linux sometimes has issues with different distributions using different versions of the glibc library. But if it worked for a while and then stopped, there's probably something else going on.)

ahanysz wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:41 pm We're getting a bit off-topic here, so possible you should start a new thread in the u-he forum, or contact U-he support directly. But first, try downloading an older version from the archive at https://u-he.com/downloads/release-archive/hive/ and see if that helps.
It really helped. :o :tu:
I downloaded the older version from in the time I purchased Hive.
I deleted all U-He related files in my folders and did a fresh install.
Works perfect, ... + all my previously made presets work too, and almost 5000 presets I once downloaded somewhere. :party:

On the other hand, I now discovered Odin 2 (and some other VST's) and I started some song with it, ... won't put it into trash yet, will keep on building on that song first and prolly add Hive layers on top.

I have now a stable new Linux Mint install, with a stable latest release of Reaper DAW, and a stable working pair of VST's.
I made a back-up from all this and disconnected that recording computer from the internet to prevent that it gets infected.
Thanks a lot :tu:

I've uploaded 15 presets for Odin 2. Love the bass on this. Get them here:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/odin-2 ... /downloads

osiris wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:34 pm I've uploaded 15 presets for Odin 2. Love the bass on this. Get them here:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/odin-2 ... /downloads
Nice ^^
Will download it and test them when I have a bit more time :)

I used Odin2 for my latest track, specifically for some arpeggio and bass stuff.
The result can be heard here:
viewtopic.php?p=8674810#p8674810

Thanks. I hope some are useable. Odin2 can chew CPU so it will be interesting to see how they react in use. I tried to be as light on voices as possible unless the sound really needed it.

I'm unable to find an answer to this question, but is it possible to load single-cycle waveforms into one of the oscillators? I have a ton of them I rescued from Z3ta+ since it will never be updated for Apple Silicon. I want to avoid having to make full wavetsbles out of them.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Return to “Instruments”