FL Studio 21 officially released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trancit wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:12 pm
apoclypse wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:19 pm That’s not a double standard. Theming is feature. What people are suggesting here is to fundamentally change how the application works and has worked since it was created. That’s like buying S1 and complaining that it isn’t Ableton. Well it isn’t meant to be Ableton. It has a different focus.

Sorry but that´s nonsense...
Changing the looks because you don´t like the GUI is not different than having optional partly a different workflow because you have something better to do with your time than menu diving to make 10000 bits unique and this hasn´t to do anything about making it work like a different DAW... it´s just about simplifying and getting rid of tons of actually unnecessary clicks...

I cannot count the endless times when I forgot to make this f*cking clip unique (no matter if Pattern/Automation or Audio) before changing it...having to undo every change after noticing, making unique and doing the whole work again!
And I cannot even imagine how many users this happens on a daily base...
Very appealing workflow... the more often you do something...the more it trains your skills! :tu:

FL Studio´s essence is not in having to make something unique all day long... and the change could be quite easy but get´s refused since the beginning...

Every DAW which has a shared/linked copy feature has a modifier key to do so on the fly...
...i.e. in a normal DAW CTRL+ left drag to make a unique copy...CTRL+ALT drag to make a shared/linked copy... easy peasy...

Why isn´t that possible in FLS???
Shift+ left drag for a shared/linked copy ... CTRL+Shift left drag to make a unique copy...
Or at least a shortcut for making something unique...
Even as they implemented the new make unique command into the playlist menu... no shortcut!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Trancit, I have read this forum posting and every single comment and reply on it very thoroughly before taking the time to express my thoughts. It is EMBARRASSING to admit that some of these people wrongly attacked you. I really believe they have no clue how cumbersome the current Pattern/Make Unique workflow truly is. It's a nightmare. They claim it "inspires creativity" or allows for "creative freedom" Wrong.

The program gets nearly everything right EXCEPT the Patterns/Making Unique/Playlist handling of MIDI. To say it sucks would be an understatement. The fact that IL refuses to do anything about this is outrageous given how easy it would be to implement, yet they prioritize things like Themes, or new Generators to keep the user community happy. I am displeased. It would be a miracle if IL finally did something about this, but sadly with every new release I am once again like you... disappointed.

The FL Studio user community rarely ever talk about the Pattern workflow mess on the IL forums, or how much work extra work it creates for the user. Given that it is such a niche and specific request, the devs refuse to address it as "It would only benefit a few people" This is not true.

As you've already stated, the devs continue to make the the following arguments as well...

1. Being able to copy/drop MIDI directly into the playlist (without needing to go in to the channel rack, or other existing patterns and "CTRL + C+ to copy the MIDI data, then open a new pattern and paste it)

"No this isn´t possible because FL Studio wouldn´t know to which generator the notes shall go to..."

2. Copying/moving a clip from one instrument track to another automatically assigns the midi to the other generator linked to this other instrument track...

Answer: "No, we can´t do that... what if that clip contains data for multiple generators ... how shall FLS react then..."

Like you've said, with Instrument Tracks, this "excuse" of theirs is nonsense! These arguments are poor and I refuse to buy in to them. This excuse of theirs is dated and old. Try again devs!

I really doubt implementing these two Playlist features would require re-coding the software from the ground up from scratch. It would make the workflow so much easier and straightforward yet here we are... Nothing gets changed. Same cumbersome Pattern based workflow with the added burden of creating extra work for the user to stay organized. I always find myself having to go elbow-to-elbow with the software for something as seemingly trivial as staying organized. It is a REAL CHORE to stay organized within FL Studio. From what I've seen, many users seem to not give a rip about it, but I think they're shooting themselves in the foot by neglecting it. Organization has done nothing short of helping me stay in control and knowing where anything is at any given moment.

Why must the user constantly have to fight AGAINST the software just to get it to do basic things that other DAW users don't ever have to think TWICE about? The whole "Make Unique" thing is goofy and it clutters your Picker Panel (which already sucks enough as it is) quite heavily. (We'll get to that in a moment further down!)

On the topic of organization, other DAW users have no clue how easy they have it, and FL users have no clue how much EXTRA work they're having to do. It's funny. I've used the program for 9 years, I used to use the Channel Rack and traditional Pattern workflow that the very program was built upon like so many users still do, but I'm now very familiar with how other DAWs handle tracks within a Playlist and it is absurd at what all the user must do in FL Studio.

Many former FL Studio users who decided to make the switch to Ableton or other DAWs commonly state how much easier it is for them to stay organized, and that they do not miss the Pattern based workflow. You'll see this iterated everywhere.

People here are making you seem like the devil for merely suggesting these workflow/playlist ideas and improvements. "How dare you change the very nature of FL Studio and how it behaves!" (Like a bunch of angry men with pitchforks IMHO) It's silly.

It isn't like you're suggesting to outright REPLACE the traditional way of using the software (Patterns/Channel Rack) you're suggesting it be an OPTION (just like Instrument/Audio Tracks is an OPTION). For those users who prefer the traditional workflow, they can CONTINUE to use it. It would be entirely optional.

In my own experiences, if you so much as make constructive criticisms towards the software and give comments for how it can be improved, many FL users will take this personally and attack you for it, making you out to be some kind of evil villain. They misconstrue what you're trying to convey and come after you.

"FL is fine how it is!" "If you don't like it, then why whine about it?" "Go use another DAW loser" "Maybe FL Studio doesn't like YOU" (Cringe, I know) It really looks bad on their part, and shows just how delusional they are in thinking that their current Pattern based workflow is "Fine as it is!" "Works for me!" "Inspires creativity!" "Allows for creative freedom" Yeah, you can keep telling yourself that, but I know better, and I know how easier linear DAWs make it. Try another DAW, then come back with your same silly little argument about how it "inspires your creativity" You're having to do more work than necessary and you don't even know it (likely because you're not familiar with how easy other DAWs make this)

Because of these peoples lack of familiarity with how other DAWs handle things, they're looking at these criticisms/suggestions through a very narrow and defensive lens. It never hurt anybody to have an open mind. To this day, so many people are STILL not aware that the Instrument/Audio Tracks workflow is a thing. They think you NEED to use the Channel Rack. This just shows how many FL users are out of the know. Their mind is blown when I tell them there is no need to use the Channel Rack.

With other DAWs, want to copy MIDI in the playlist? CTRL + Drag down. Boom. MIDI copied on to the track/instrument you desire. You know what you have to do in FL Studio? A BUNCH OF GYMNASTICS/ACROBATICS TO DO THE SAME THING. TAKES TWICE AS AS LONG. This is such a basic request that has been neglected for years. It wouldn't take the devs all but a few minutes to get this coded.

- SOME PERSONAL PLAYLIST GRIPES - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1. There is no way to view Ghost Notes from other Tracks/Patterns within the Playlist.

(You must first group the Patterns in to a single Pattern to be able to view the Ghost Notes) This is silly...

2. There is no way to select the color of Ghost Notes.

It's all a single color (grey/white) which means if you're viewing the MIDI information of several sounds, you'll have to try and figure out which one is which.

3. There is no way to edit multiple instruments MIDI data within a single Piano Roll. (Unless of course you use the VFX keyboard splitter, VFX color mapper, or Layer)

Not all of us want to use Patcher to house our instruments in order to edit multiple Generators from within a single Piano Roll. It's more work than necessary, and cumbersome for most to set up.

4. The Picker Panel filter groups are very poorly designed when compared to Channel Rack filter groups

There is not even a way to delete groups currently! Yes, you read that correctly. NO WAY TO DELETE FILTER GROUPS WTIHIN THE PICKER PANEL. You can add a group... deleting it? GOOD LUCK.

Look at this post from 2018... (5 freaking years ago!!!)
https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=195353

So this isn't a "new" problem by any means.. For 5 freaking years IL have done nothing about this. The Picker Panel is garbage. Period. It's been neglected and ignored while other things get priority within updates.

The Channel Rack *mostly* nails the filter concept which allows you to place certain Channels within different filter categories for ease of access and organization. The Picker Panel should be completely identical with the ability to Add, Rename, and Delete filters just as it is done within the Channel Rack.

It has to be said... I don't pretend to be a self proclaimed FL Studio expert, but I feel competent in saying that 9 years of experience within the software has been PLENTY of time for me to evaluate and familiarize myself with the various types of workflows that can be achieved with it. I'm not just some guy who picked up FL Studio last night, and is grumpy and upset because "Wahhhh!! It doesn't perform like Ableton!" I have tried MANY workflows, many window management systems, and used to use the Channel Rack for everything before switching to Instrument Tracks. I have spent many many thousands of hours in the software, and I'd like to believe I know a thing or two. Ultimately, I feel that my complaints/suggestions for improvement are 100% valid. (NOT trying to toot my own horn or sound like an elitist or pompous audiophile prick with their head up their arse)

I too, was once a Channel Rack apologist who used it, swore by it, and with my very limited knowledge at the time, thought other DAWs were silly and dumb for the way they did things. (Oh how clueless I was...)

I am uploading two .mp4 videos for you to see just SOME of my annoyances with the Picker Panel. (Don't worry the videos are quite short)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zlgpzdj3 ... S.mp4/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ln756dcf ... e.mp4/file

- CONCLUSION - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I could go on forever, but I think I've made it quite clear that the devs continued efforts in neglecting the Pattern/Make Unique/Playlist Handling of MIDI/Ghost Notes in Playlist/Picker Panel, in return makes users have to do a bunch of digital acrobatics/window navigation/manual deletion of Unique Patterns etc just to keep organized. Other DAW users have these things readily available with ease. I hope and pray one day they will do something about this mess... I love this software, it is very powerful, but it is beyond time the devs do something about this.

This post may come off as me being angry, some of you reading may think to yourselves "Who pissed in this guys cereal this morning?" and you'd be right. I am upset. I'm passionately upset because I want to see the devs make improvements on these concepts, yet they always make an excuse not to. I'm upset at the incompetence and lazy efforts of IL.

(The example I provided where a user was complaining about the Inability to delete Filters within the Picker Panel *5 years ago* should make their incompetency and laziness apparent) (Don't even get me started on the fact that we JUST NOW received fades on Audio Clips within the playlist... This wasn't a user request that just popped up within the last few years, people were requesting this for probably over a decade and I'm not exaggerating!!!)

These are very basic editing features other DAWs have. These are not ridiculous requests, and they would 100%make the lives of so many users easier, with the added bonus of course being, *dun duh duh duhhh!!!!* THEY ARE OPTIONAL. Everybody can be happy. Don't like it? Don't use it. Like it? Use it.

I think if you try and read my statements without any biases or preconceived notions towards myself, or how YOU currently use the software, you will hopefully be able to sympathize with my gripes, and understand they are 100% warranted. I am passionate about the software and want to see these things implemented. A few of us have tried so hard to get this across the devs thick skulls, and we're always served a robotic and generic response from IL about how it "Just isn't worth the effort or "It would only benefit a very select few group of individuals"

Final Comment: Matthias, thank you for your ongoing efforts in uploading to your Youtube channel and shining light on the various and POWERFUL features FL Studio is capable of/gets RIGHT.
I've learned many things from you. Your channel is like a breath of fresh air in a sea of wishy washy click-baity FL Studio videos that teach you literally nothing and rehash the same dull information over and over again. You cover various concepts with a level of maturity that few other content creators are willing to imitate. I know myself and many other users alike have gained powerful insight in to what kind of wizardry this software is capable of due to the way you teach things. Keep it up!
Last edited by ImmutableTrepidation on Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:16 am, edited 8 times in total.

^^^
I just wondering if Loomer Architect
https://www.loomer.co.uk/architect.html
viewtopic.php?t=517104&start=285
can somehow help resolve your midi issues.
FLS can host Architect or Architect can host FLS.
The developer Colin if fantastic. He listens to all suggestions.

Or Mulab plugin with Mux?

ImmutableTrepidation wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:49 pm [...] I hope and pray one day they will do something about this mess [...]
Why would they? FL Studio - as it is - seems to sell well enough in its target segment. It's good business for IL, apparently hundreds of thousands of people are happy using the app.

Perhaps you - and anyone else who doth complain so much - simply don't matter to IL from business perspective. The company is not an all-powerful deity, just a bunch of people making a living by selling their products (whatever those may be at any given time).

Hopes and prayers are better directed at imaginary entities - at least that way you know from the start that it's self-deception.

Meanwhile, have you heard of REAPER? It's the #1 destination for switching away from FL Studio - and pretty much any other DAW!

If you were lucky to buy IL VST licenses when they were available, you may get the best of both worlds, and never have to bother making patterns unique again :)

(I have a vague suspicion that someone at IL just won a bet)

I'll restate myself again, by saying that FL Studio can do most of what I desire. ILs own little motto "FL Studio, The fastest way from your brain to your speakers" holds some weight behind it. It is an incredible piece of software that does 99% of things "right" in my own assessment. In totality, I have very few major gripes about its behavior.

For me personally, there is no need to switch to another DAW entirely. I'll just find something about Reaper to bitch about, or Cubase, or Studio One (you get the idea) FL Studio is my home, comfort zone, and own personal canvas for musical creation.

These seemingly niche requests of mine could be so easily implemented. They could enhance the efficiency and workflow of various other users, and could also potentially help soften the transition for those coming from other linear DAWs. This *could* potentially increase revenue and profits for IL.

I've heard many DAW users issue statements about refusing to use FL Studio because of the whole Pattern/Channel Rack/Playlist MIDI functionality/Make Unique nightmare. Some of them have more or less uttered, "If FL Studio behaved like other DAWs, I would jump on it like a frog on hot pavement"

These requests are not so outlandish and ridiculous that they only cater to my own specific needs, therefore I do not deem them to be insignificant or frivolous. IL have stated that some user requests are so specific, that it isn't worth their time to pursue as the feature(s) wouldn't benefit other users. These requests of mine do NOT fall in to that category. They would 100% benefit MANY users. Of course, it would be entirely optional just as Instrument Tracks/Audio Tracks are optional.

Let me illustrate a point here...

I'm sure you and many other users in here are familiar with audio fades on the beginning/ending of audio clips within playlists in other DAWs. FL Studio has NOT had this feature. This JUST NOW got introduced in FL Studio 21 despite many MANY years of users bitching about it.

IL devs were 100% aware of these requests regarding fades on audio clips (for probably more than a decade, I shit you not) yet never acted upon it. That to me is astounding... It took us THIS long to get such a seemingly FOUNDATIONAL and BASIC feature that other DAWs have natively...

One word. Embarrassing. We have it now by golly, and it only took a decade + to do it! Woohoo.... (I hope my sarcasm is radiating through)

With the aforementioned illustration, it should become evident that my requests aren't so ridiculous after all...

You're 100% correct though, IL is a fairly small company from what I can gather, and my niche requests and dreadfully long posts on here and other forums aren't going to amount to anything in the grand scheme of things. Their software their choice.

At very best, I just want others to at least become aware of these issues, so that they can assess whether or not it is a hindrance to their own personal workflows. It is good to remain mindful of what can/can't be done in ANY software. Many users will NEVER encounter the type of problems I specified with the Playlist, but Realizing what CAN'T be done within a software, can often yield ideas and proposals from out-of-the-box thinkers that can entirely revolutionize the software. (Look at what some of these hobbyist coders who have NOTHING to do with IL have been able to achieve with things like AutoHotKey)

There is certainly no "right" or "wrong" way to use the software, but if they (IL) can implement audio fade ins/outs on clips within the playlist (after 10 + f**king years of incessant user requests), then they too can implement the features I've listed above, and it wouldn't cost them a million resources to do so.

ImmutableTrepidation wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:14 am These seemingly niche requests of mine could be so easily implemented.
What's your experience in programming?

If you can actually implement all that, offering your services to IL might be an interesting experiment.

N__K wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:15 am What's your experience in programming?
Can't be much, or he'd know better than make such a statement without knowing any context. Or maybe he's only ever worked on greenfield projects and never seen a codebase that's been worked on over decades.

He could've saved his wall of text anyway, as the issues he's raising are well-known, obviously not easy to fix, and yet known to be in the area of the program that IL is actively working on improving.

ImmutableTrepidation, all of your points are valid, don't pay attention to those here who are terrified of IMPROVING a piece of software. Honestly, for so many people here, the DAW they use seems to be some kind of religion. They can't accept any criticism of it, and they see any suggestions for merely IMPROVING the way things are done in their DAW as 'heresy'. Just ridiculous.
Personally, I really, really appreciate the fact that themes have finally come (back) to FL Studio, simply being able to make things more clear (to me) is worth its weight in gold, whatever software I am using. How I LOLed too when they locked my other thread, where I dared to cogently argue my position... Presumably like they deleted the thread(s) from 20 years ago, when people were complaining about having to pay for the ability to record audio in FL Studio, when they had been offered lifetime free updates.
You have explained your ideas and your reasoning very clearly, they should be easy to implement, IF the FL Studio codebase was done properly from the beginning... As for "He could've saved his wall of text anyway" means "shut up and stop discussing this." What a ridiculous attitude to have. We have so much dreadful software nowadays (just look at Windows 10 and Windows 11's interfaces, for example, so many terrible decisions made by a handful of people, who never have to answer for their mistakes...) Some here take any suggestions to change things as an 'attack' on 'their' software. I don't. I want to see FL Studio improved. My way of using it may not be the same as yours, and you may benefit from a simple change to something I had never seen as a problem before. You are quite right to bring your suggestions to the forum, and for others to discuss them.

n___k is suggesting that adding a KEYBOARD SHORTCUT to run a command, to save lots of mouse use, is difficult to program...

BenfordLaw wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:48 pm ImmutableTrepidation, all of your points are valid, don't pay attention to those here who are terrified of IMPROVING a piece of software. Honestly, for so many people here, the DAW they use seems to be some kind of religion. They can't accept any criticism of it, and they see any suggestions for merely IMPROVING the way things are done in their DAW as 'heresy'. Just ridiculous.
Personally, I really, really appreciate the fact that themes have finally come (back) to FL Studio, simply being able to make things more clear (to me) is worth its weight in gold, whatever software I am using. How I LOLed too when they locked my other thread, where I dared to cogently argue my position... Presumably like they deleted the thread(s) from 20 years ago, when people were complaining about having to pay for the ability to record audio in FL Studio, when they had been offered lifetime free updates.
You have explained your ideas and your reasoning very clearly, they should be easy to implement, IF the FL Studio codebase was done properly from the beginning... As for "He could've saved his wall of text anyway" means "shut up and stop discussing this." What a ridiculous attitude to have. We have so much dreadful software nowadays (just look at Windows 10 and Windows 11's interfaces, for example, so many terrible decisions made by a handful of people, who never have to answer for their mistakes...) Some here take any suggestions to change things as an 'attack' on 'their' software. I don't. I want to see FL Studio improved. My way of using it may not be the same as yours, and you may benefit from a simple change to something I had never seen as a problem before. You are quite right to bring your suggestions to the forum, and for others to discuss them.

n___k is suggesting that adding a KEYBOARD SHORTCUT to run a command, to save lots of mouse use, is difficult to program...

Yes, Themes definitely have their place for many users and there is 100% an argument to be made about it inspiring new ideas and giving users a different lens and perspective through which they can view the program, which subsequently can help them make creative choices and decisions informed by these various combinations of colors. It is liberating for many users to be able to have control over this. (I have not experienced this personally, and I actually do not mind the color scheme of FL Studio by default, but perhaps I am a one off rare case) I am glad it can help other users!

(My eyes are certainly enjoying this recent Dark Theme on KVR) Different hues and colors can be easier on individuals eyes so that too is a benefit. I've seen a few peoples screen captures where they have their FL Studio so dark I can barely read the menus or texts within them. That to me is blasphemy but to each their own!
You have explained your ideas and your reasoning very clearly, they should be easy to implement, IF the FL Studio codebase was done properly from the beginning...
AFAIK this rings true based on what I've heard from other users. Given that it wasn't originally really built to be a full featured DAW with all the bells and whistles of other workstations, it has become a challenge to try and get it to operate as one. (This is what I'm told at least) Slowly but surely, it is morphing in to an incredible piece of software and every new update at least does a handful of things right. Maybe one day I will see the things I desire to see implemented, but honestly I'm not willing to get my hopes up or put much thought in to the devs given their past history.
As for "He could've saved his wall of text anyway" means "shut up and stop discussing this." What a ridiculous attitude to have
It is difficult to discern the tone of which another user wishes to convey themselves through text, as fluctuations in pitch of the voice (intonation) are exempt here. In my own interpretation, it reads as dismissive and snooty, but I'm not going to look in to it much further than that. Whatever. It was a low effort comment, and frankly didn't contribute much. (My take)

I wouldn't have spent the hours I did documenting my points and pledges if I were not passionate about the software and issues I currently observe with it. I too want to see it transform for the better.
Honestly, for so many people here, the DAW they use seems to be some kind of religion. They can't accept any criticism of it, and they see any suggestions for merely IMPROVING the way things are done in their DAW as 'heresy'.
This is definitely quite common and truthfully, I was expecting some form of it after I said what I did. I'm not sure why other people feel the need to try and shut down criticisms but I'd probably attribute it to be some form of superiority complex they have, or perhaps they're afraid and unwelcoming of change. Change is scary, familiarity is comfortable.

The idea of mob mentality is VERY real within forums of any sort, regardless of the topic. I have absolutely experienced it. I've seen users dismiss logic and reason entirely, (I SWEAR NO PUN INTENDED!) and comment from pure emotion and turn things in to a smear campaign of sorts just to feel good about themselves. Attacking someone for pledging something differently shows how narrow minded and self absorbed some of these individuals can be. This kind is behavior is exhibited usually by elitists of forums. (Not always)

I far too often will read comments from people who seem to feel some sort of personal obligation to white knight and defend the software against any and all forms of criticism as if they're doing IL some form of service. A lot of valid feedback is unwelcome and outright frowned upon. Things can turn ugly quickly and you better be prepared to deal with a swarm of raging bees who are doing anything any everything to keep you away from their nest.

Another thing I've observed is...

<Put minimal effort in to a post that demonstrates GOOD things about the software and get rewarded with an abundance of upvotes/likes

<Put significant effort in to a post that actually highlights what the software could improve upon... (Uhh oh, good luck dealing with the influx of haters who will tell you exactly why you're WRONG instead of having an open mind and being receptive!)

BenfordLaw wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:48 pm IAs for "He could've saved his wall of text anyway" means "shut up and stop discussing this." What a ridiculous attitude to have.
It was meant more along the lines of "you're preaching to the choir". It's not like he's proposing groundbreaking new ideas, most of the stuff was acknowledged by IL staff as being something they want to improve or are actively working on.

Then he goes on acting like implementing these features would actually be easy, though. You don't have to be a programmer to call such a statement out for being ignorant. These features are a massive challenge both conceptually (fitting them into a base program built on an entirely different paradigm) and technically (changing a codebase that was started when completely different limitations needed to be taken into account).
ImmutableTrepidation wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:30 am Put significant effort in to a post that actually highlights what the software could improve upon... (Uhh oh, good luck dealing with the influx of haters who will tell you exactly why you're WRONG instead of having an open mind and being receptive!)
See the "I am unhappy" thread in IL's Looptalk forum for a perfect example of the opposite thing happening.

Of course it also devolved and was locked after a few pages, but not due to the original poster's criticism, which was generally received positively.

Dionysos wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:16 am See the "I am unhappy" thread in IL's Looptalk forum for a perfect example of the opposite thing happening.

Of course it also devolved and was locked after a few pages, but not due to the original poster's criticism, which was generally received positively.
But there was nothing really harmful in this thread apart of negative critics for FL Studio... so it smells more of a "marketing decision" than actually stopping something violating the rules...

It was at times a bit OT, sure... but I couldn´t alone count all the threads including the same amount of OT without got locked and there are anyway easier ways of getting rid of OT stuff like cutting out these posts and putting them into a seperate OT thread...

Anyway, they got of course the right to "regulate" negative stuff for their products as it´s their own forum but then please have the balls to stand up for it and don´t try to talk it up...

PS: Mod changing the title from the original (don´t remember exactly) " I am leaving FL Studio" to a more neutral "I am unhappy" says it all already ... 8)

BenfordLaw wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:48 pm ImmutableTrepidation, all of your points are valid, [...]
I think so, too.

I also think that windmills are not worth fighting - although, admittedly, nailing some theses to their doors may be cathartic. In that regard, I'm handy with a nailgun myself :)

BenfordLaw wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:48 pm n___k is suggesting that adding a KEYBOARD SHORTCUT to run a command, to save lots of mouse use, is difficult to program...
Nope. If you can still access IL forum, check what the handle "N_K" has written there, before painting me as a fanboy.

I actually think that if ImmutableTrepidation has the skills to implement what they (sorry if pronoun is wrong, I default to "they" unless I know otherwise) write about, then it's worth trying to offer that service to IL.

ImmutableTrepidation wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:30 am [...] Given that it wasn't originally really built to be a full featured DAW with all the bells and whistles of other workstations, it has become a challenge to try and get it to operate as one. (This is what I'm told at least)
Don't settle for being told. Check for yourself!

The entire history of FruityLoops and FL Studio is easy to find, including installers down to v1.x on official IL forums and elsewhere.

ImmutableTrepidation wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:30 am Slowly but surely, it is morphing in to an incredible piece of software and every new update at least does a handful of things right. Maybe one day I will see the things I desire to see implemented, but honestly I'm not willing to get my hopes up or put much thought in to the devs given their past history.
The devs - at least, many individuals at IL - are still cool. On the other hand, their job as part of the IL team seems to be increasingly less so.

From what I've gathered, they're effectively rewriting the app while trying to maintain the user experience for existing userbase. Check the changes in contents of FL Studio install directories over the years, and the scale of it may become clearer.

They also have to make a living, with all the implications.

ImmutableTrepidation wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:30 am The idea of mob mentality is VERY real within forums of any sort, regardless of the topic. I have absolutely experienced it.
Welcome to Earth? :)

It's not just forums, it's a fact of life everywhere; our brains are still those of tribal beings. From that comes a lot of trouble, up to and including wars of all scales. Got to live with it.

Another fact of life is that one will have better success at changing things they can control, instead of trying to change things they cannot.

For example, if you could admit to yourself that you've "outgrown" FL Studio, and put similar effort [as you do into posting wishes to IL] into - say, customizing REAPER for your needs - you'd probably care less ;)
Last edited by N__K on Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trancit wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:32 am PS: Mod changing the title from the original (don´t remember exactly) " I am leaving FL Studio" to a more neutral "I am unhappy" says it all already ... 8)
It does say a lot indeed - that someone at IL is noble enough (do read into that, two degrees of abstraction) to put words into people's mouths, simply because they have the technical power to do so.

Not everyone on the IL team is like that, thankfully...

Jeez.. I swear I thought they were adding an easier way to make clips unique.. I thought there was a way to make multiple clips unique at once now? Maybe it was a dream..

It honestly feels like a pretty egregious omission IMO. Do they just want everyone to make terribly boring, loopy music? :cry:

EDIT: Ok I see that you can do this now! Great.. Still I would really like a "unique mode" in which everything is automatically unique. Or at least a keyboard shortcut.

(deleted)
"Like toilet paper, we're on a roll."

I wish Ableton had pattern clips as much as you wish FL Studio had a unique mode.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”