Arturia Minifreak VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OnePingOnly

sQeetz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:07 pm
BazJacuzzi wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:23 am What does it take to get banned from KVR?
Not being BONES
?
Last edited by JS_SEA on Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Has this thread turned from a Minifreak
to a freak thread?

Uncle E wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:53 am
DCrown wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:35 am Pros and cons, cons ans pros, so many written words and I thought minifreak is a tool for music making.
It proves again that in music production eyes have become more important than ears, you read posts, don't you?
Wouldn't it be the best that the pros side made a nice song with Minifreak included to show its potential and beauty of sound?
And the Cons side could make a song showing how bad it sounds.
It's like with effects or a professional engineer's good piece of advice not to solo when mixing, apply eq to a track while listening to the complete mix, so I d prefer to hear minifreak within a song, not just solo, makes more sense to me to find out whether it can shine in a song or mix.
Not just the scientific way of Arturia to present a product, that kind of videos don't inspire me to even download and try.
A complete song with drums making boom boom, bass making damdamdadadam, maybe a voice making lalala and minifreak making oyoyoyong.
Sometimes it's good to use ears, when it's about music!
Challenge accepted! I threw this together, every instrument except drums is MicroFreak V:

https://soundcloud.com/jrrshop/sunset-f ... al_sharing
Nice audio example
What is the drum rhythm called?
It reminds me of cha cha cha, but it's not.
Last edited by DCrown on Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A nice range of sounds here. Lots of bottom end. The motion in the textures is what has me sold and I also like the plucks I can get out of it. Nicely done. That should reduce the word count on this thread a bit.

Challenge accepted! I threw this together, every instrument except drums is MicroFreak V:

Scotty wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:57 pm A nice range of sounds here. Lots of bottom end. The motion in the textures is what has me sold and I also like the plucks I can get out of it. Nicely done. That should reduce the word count on this thread a bit.

Hold my beer. :lol:

So, I’ve been ignoring this thread for the most part, as I thought Arturia hadn’t made MicroFreak V available to non hardware owners. For fun I was listening to the hardware synth demos, and I found them to sound really good. Likewise, I’m finding the plugin to sound similar. The same? Hard to tell, but I bet someone’s done an a/b on the internet, but I don’t care that much. Good if good.

Now, for $99, or $199, I’d tell people to buy VCV Rack Pro, and make your own ÜberBrute. Don’t like that the MiniBrute left off the wavetable oscillator? (Weird move) Put in your own. There are many fine modules to choose from! I think it would be easy to achieve similar quality. One of the things that got me to sell my MicroFreak was that I made a similar synth in Softube Modular that sounded as good and I hated the MicroFreak’s mod matrix implementation.

But that’s a lot of work. I find that kind of thing enjoyable sometimes, so to me it doesn’t really feel like work, and when you’re done, you have a unique bespoke instrument and you can make presets based on it until you’re carted away to the old age home.

Then I logged in and saw that my price wasn’t $99. It was $49. To me, that’s a no-brainer. I spend that on an entrée and cocktail at a decent restaurant, and that’s not including tip. It’s on par with buying a couple of preset packs. More importantly, if I think of my time in potential dollars per hour, it would be similar cost to me to build it as it would to buy it, and I wouldn’t end up with Arturia’s presets, which I always find to be good jumping off points for my own sounds. It would actually probably be worth $99 to me, though maybe not at this time.

So I’m going to buy it, just for the oscillator type sequencing, which I think is unique. I could probably make something that does wave sequencing, or even use a step sequencer to mute and unmute mixer tracks, but that sounds unwieldy compared to the way I could make it happen in MiniBrute. Maybe you don’t care about that sort of thing. Maybe you’ve been playing in industrial bands for so long that the mains have blown out your hearing and you can’t tell the difference between a good synth and some crap you threw together in Synthedit. That’s fine. You’ve saved yourself some money for dinner. I’ll eat at home tonight and get a new plugin instrument. :phones:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

@Uncle E
Your audio demo inspired me to download the demo and frankly I did not expect to
wanna buy an Arturia product in the near future, but I will definitely buy it.
That's the way things happen sometimes, didn't like Arturia 's flagship pigments at all, whereas I liked Minifreak after 3 minutes of testing.
Arturia's way to showcase a product isn't very appealing to me, so I didn't even planned to download the demo.
Arturia maybe should take into consideration to hire you as marketing boss :)
For whatever reason my price is €69,
That's ok

void main(dumb)

DCrown wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:57 pm @Uncle E
Your audio demo inspired me to download the demo and frankly I did not expect to
That's the way things happen sometimes, didn't like Arturia 's flagship pigments at all, whereas I liked Minifreak after 3 minutes of testing.
Arturia's way to showcase a product isn't very appealing to me, so I didn't even planned to download the demo.
That's ok
Great! I'm glad you liked it! I like the lead sounds a lot, they add a lot of ear candy to a mix.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:55 pm
DCrown wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:57 pm @Uncle E
That's ok
Great! I'm glad you liked it! I like the lead sounds a lot, they add a lot of ear candy to a mix.
Hey Uncle
IneedanothersynthlikeIneedaholeinmyhead
that's why
I bought it
after
listening to
your mix
and
installing
trial version

RugerioDelStereo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:27 amSo if you say that the Minifreak sounds thin, PROVE it. You keep stating your opinion as fact. PROVE the "fact". Otherwise shut the f*ck up and crawl back into your insecurity-bunker.
The proof is there for all to hear and those with a shred of objectivity, even those who like the synth overall, have admitted as much. If you go back to page 5 or 6 of this thread, when the VSTi first became available to everyone, and you'll see that most of the comments about the sound are negative. Then the fanbois got on board and tried to shout everyone down but that doesn't work on me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:18 pm
RugerioDelStereo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:27 amSo if you say that the Minifreak sounds thin, PROVE it. You keep stating your opinion as fact. PROVE the "fact". Otherwise shut the f*ck up and crawl back into your insecurity-bunker.
The proof is there for all to hear and those with a shred of objectivity, even those who like the synth overall, have admitted as much. If you go back to page 5 or 6 of this thread, when the VSTi first became available to everyone, and you'll see that most of the comments about the sound are negative. Then the fanbois got on board and tried to shout everyone down but that doesn't work on me.
It is not everyone's cup of tea. But that does not mean it isn't a great synth!

tony10000 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:38 pm
BONES wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:18 pm
It is not everyone's cup of tea. But that does not mean it isn't a great synth!
It is not a great synth unfortunately! Sonically it is Ok, but the interface is very good, however, after the wow factor disappeared, it is just an OK synth now for me! :hihi:

I know I was very impressed at the beginning, but spending more time with it and comparing it with other synths I have, hmmmm, it has a weak sound compared to my top considered synths like Massive X and PhasePlant. Is it bad? not at all, especially for $49, but if I waited more, I wouldn't buy it even for $49! The reason is that the more I spend time with it, the less connected I'm to it. Maybe it doesn't have a weak sound, but for me it just inspire me with nice noises that accompany the beat or as intro to a song. :shrug:

i give the thread 5 stars.

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”

― Charles Thickens Bass , A Tale of Two Minifreaks

vurt wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:14 am i give the thread 5 stars.
Last edited by Scotty on Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”