Sampler, Layer, randomness...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm looking for a sampler that could play randomly a sample. For exemple, I could have many layer of a snare that sounds slightly different and each time a C3 is played, one snare would be triggered randomly.

I know I can do that with velocity but I wonder if there is a sampler that directly do that. ...Kontakt ???!

Thanx

Wouldnt that just be Round-Robin?
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

El°HYM wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:10 pm Wouldnt that just be Round-Robin?
Yes...

The group editor in Kontakt allows you to do it;

https://www.native-instruments.com/ni-t ... oup-editor

If you scroll down to 'group start options' it explains it.

Here's how to do that using HALion:
https://steinberg.help/halion/v6/en/hal ... ion_r.html

Thanx ! It seams most multi sampler can do it... "round robin" was the key word I was missing to find that out....

Round Robin will cycle through various layers, which will work, but I guess there will always be that cyclic element to it. From what I think you're trying to achieve, you may want to check out Nuance by New Sonic Arts. It's criminally under appreciated, and I'm pretty sure it either has a triggering option like that, or you can assign something to do something approximate. Try the demo, see if it suits you. I used it for a while before moving to FXpansions Geist, which can do what you're looking for (and much more), but it's sadly discontinued.
Echo Season
Musician | Sound Designer
www.echoseason.com

Kontakt can cycle through random groups, and I'm sure most other samplers will be able to as well.

Very true, however if the OP is concerned with cost, Nuance presents a less expensive alternative with a fairly robust feature set, as well as a clear (and resizable) interface. Although the world is not lacking in samplers for sure.
Echo Season
www.echoseason.com

echoseason wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:47 pm Round Robin will cycle through various layers, which will work, but I guess there will always be that cyclic element to it.
I was a bit worried about that but for now I created a lead synth with Logic Pro Multi-Sampler and Kontakt (which I already owned) and in that case I can't tell there is a cycle.

Probably with a snare roll that could be annoying. Kontakt can trigger randomly but you have to have a lot of group if you don't want the same sample triggered 2-3 time in row. There should be an option to trigger randomly without triggering the same sample twice in row... maybe there is one but didn't found out...

Logic Pro Multi-Sampler doesn't seams to offer a random cycle...

Nuance seams to have a nice UI. Can we create our own tag in the browser ?

...but for now i will do with what I already have...

Yeah since you have Kontakt already stick with that. Regarding tagging in Nuance- yes it has fully customizable tagging.
Echo Season
www.echoseason.com

Jolaff wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:10 pm
echoseason wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:47 pm Round Robin will cycle through various layers, which will work, but I guess there will always be that cyclic element to it.
I was a bit worried about that but for now I created a lead synth with Logic Pro Multi-Sampler and Kontakt (which I already owned) and in that case I can't tell there is a cycle.

Probably with a snare roll that could be annoying. Kontakt can trigger randomly but you have to have a lot of group if you don't want the same sample triggered 2-3 time in row. There should be an option to trigger randomly without triggering the same sample twice in row... maybe there is one but didn't found out...

Logic Pro Multi-Sampler doesn't seams to offer a random cycle...

Nuance seams to have a nice UI. Can we create our own tag in the browser ?

...but for now i will do with what I already have...
There's a script here that I've used before;

https://normalsounds.com/blog/random-ro ... scripting/

All you need to do before applying is change the number of groups from 7 to however many you have. I've only used it for melodic stuff (guitars) so not sure how it would work with drumkits mapping, but worth a go.

ah, and by the way I just tried with Battery 4 and the random cycle never trigger twice the same sample :-D

Return to “Instruments”