Bought mulab - how to record audio on Linux?

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought mulab.

How would one record audio to mulab 9 under Linux using a focusrite scarlett solo audio device interface? I have wineasio installed and registered with regsvr for both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions and wineasio shows but doesn't seem to work.

I can't seem to get it working with qjackctl and am totally lost. Would really appreciate if some of you Linux users could advise. I'm not too tech savvy but am almost at the point I could ditch windows now and go open source.

I'm running Ubuntu 22.10.

If there is another way to record audio please let me know. The audio interface works fine in Linux Waveform (Tracktion) so it's picked up native just not under mulab under wine 8.

Many thanks to any kind soul that could give a not too technical guide on what to do.

Rick

Take a look at viewtopic.php?t=583311

I've read that before but thanks. I'm not sure how to get the audio interface to work with jack for mulab. The wineasio is installed and registered but doesn't seem to pick up the audio interface.

Hi Oldcastle I saw your reply: -

Thanks for lmv sharing your experience.

I used to use JACK2 (due to Qtractor), but I switched to Pipewire and haven't looked back. Piperewire offers pipewire-jack and pipewire-pulse warps, which are essentially drop-in replacements for those who use Pulse or JACK2. I don't need to change any settings from the default Pipewire installation on my system (Arch Linux). As long as you have a "real-time friendly" system, as explained in the guide, everything works out of the box; at least for me.

On the thread you gave me. As far as I am aware Ubuntu 22.10 has pipewire. I have installed Wineasio from KXstudio repos and also registered both the 32 bit and 64 bit version but like the other user in the thread says cant get wineasio to find inputs on the focusrite solo interface I have.

How do you go about recording audio using pipewire or wineasio? Apologies if the questions are simple as I am not too technically orientated / aware with linux and am still new to the OS.

Thanks

I also use Arch with pipewire. I don't use wineasio. Robbert from yabrigde has some nice pipewire config files at https://github.com/robbert-vdh/dotfiles#pipewire you could try them out. I don't do any recording with ML, so I may not be too helpful.

Ps: can you record your voice from your laptop/pc microphone in ML?

I just tried the Focusrite audio interface through Jack (Qjackctl) on Tracktion Waveform Linux Native version and it records fine. First time through Jack as I used ALSA before.

Mulab can load wineasio but cant find the input or output channels on the audio interface.

It also says the audio engine cant start with wineasio.

Not exactly sure what to do.

And no unfortunately I cannot record from my laptop mic. :(

I've not played with this at all but I'll just suggest checking MuLab's sample rate is set to JACK's sample rate before trying to open WineASIO (if not already checked, of course).

Thanks for the reply pljones. I will try that and check that. Been reading a lot of threads on wineasio and downloaded the flstudio wineasio driver as well but that doesn't seem to work either. If it doesn't work I'm gonna try asking on the kxstudio / linuxmusicians forums as it seems from all the threads I've read that 64 bit wineasio is very temperamental so it's a shame. I guess I'll have to bounce out to wav and record vocals in waveform and reimport back in to mulab which is a pain but it's a workaround.

Or buy mulab plugin and use that as a synth or effect inside waveform for Linux.

I tested ML9 on a Windows 10 guest in VirtualBox and still cannot record my voice via microphone. The microphone is working, and other programmes can record it, but not MuLab. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Can other apps running under wine record the microphone or are they Linux native apps? Thanks for testing that Oldcastle. I have no idea what's going on its probably a set up issue. Are you running wineasio? It's a shame to not be able to record with wineasio but it seems to be a wineasio issue. Really don't want to go back to Windows, prefer Linux for the freedom and customisation.

Hi Oldcastle which version of the Wineasio driver are you using - by version I mean where did you source it from? Is it from the Arch Linux repos? I got mine from KXstudio repos for Ubuntu so I am assuming that that driver is working otherwise everyone would be saying so. Im not sure whats going on - some people are saying its a bug in wine yet ive seen a video of it being used in Flstudio via linux and wine today which was taken in the last two weeks on youtube.

Its all this hassle with configurations and stuff that makes Linux so depressing.

I'm not using Wineasio, because I don't do any recording. But yeah.. I saw videos and read posts of people using wineasio with FL and Ableton. Which Wine version do you have?

I am using wine 8 stable

I am going to try Wine Staging I've seen a thread on another forum from arkforest the Linux YouTube saying he needed wine staging. Wineasio doesn't even show in flstudio demo so there must be something wrong with wineasio.

Digging mulab though. Great daw and I think it has the energyxt and reaper vibe to stick it on a USB dongle.

Return to “MUTOOLS”