Your everyday VSTi

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Delay Lama OnePingOnly

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:53 am You make notes?
Yeah, a habit that kind of started accidentally. In 2016 I started a recording-per-week project, where I would post my track and write a little bit about it. So I took notes about what I was using so I'd have something to say.

It kind of turned into a way to track what gear was getting used and what wasn't... mostly useless trivia but occasionally insightful. I've sold stuff based on realizing how rarely I touched it, talked myself out of buying some gear based on figuring I'd drop it once the novelty wore off, and rediscovered a few things.

I mostly stopped a couple of years ago, because I figured I was giving the gear too much of the responsibility/credit/blame for my sound. But for a couple of projects (the no-input feedback thing from December, then Jamuary) I went ahead and took the notes. I probably won't stay in the habit though.

foosnark wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:45 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:57 pm Excellent. Such a novel idea. List your fav synths. In a list 🤦‍♂️
You know what's a completely original idea? Mocking people for starting list threads on KvR. I've never seen anyone doing that before.

Anyway, hardware synths dominate in my setup, so I don't have any everyday VSTis. I would have said Aalto is the closest I get... but then I went over my notes from Jamuary so far and... the winner is Kontakt, with 4 appearances in 29 recordings. All of those were in the same track though, with the gimmick of "use samples, which I almost never use." :hihi:

I've used Kult, Easel V, and Loquelic Vereor 3x during Jamuary and Aalto only once, so clearly I need to do an all-Aalto jam next.
and that little pearl of wisdom was so enlightening. Thanks soooo much 👍
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Everyday VSTi(s)?... Battery, Serum, Phaseplant.

Throw in Kontakt when I need a sample player and pretty much anything can be achieved with those 4.

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:53 am
foosnark wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:45 pm... but then I went over my notes...
You make notes? Wow! My bandmate is really good at getting things organised when he sends them to me, with a text file that tells me all the patches to use, which effects and settings, what BPM the song is at, etc. and I've said to him several times that I really appreciate the effort, but it's not something I would do for him. And I mean it, I just can't imagine mustering the effort to make notes. OTOH, ask me to make a list and I'm all over it.
Notes about which VSTis, bpm, fx, etc? How about sending you the DAW project? Sounds like you're using different DAWs? Just sayin... :hihi:

Most everyday VSTis here lately are SD3, Drumcomputer, Rapid, Hive and Cr8.

whassup wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:46 pmNotes about which VSTis, bpm, fx, etc? How about sending you the DAW project? Sounds like you're using different DAWs? Just sayin... :hihi:
Very perceptive of you. He works in Cubase, because he gets remix work through one of his side-projects and Cubase is easiest for that. I work in Studio One, because Cubase is shit for live work and I prefer Studio One anyway. With the info he sends me, it takes about two minutes to get a song up and running, albeit without a usable mix (everything is at the same level). He does send the Cubase project, as well as stems, but I don't have Cubase installed any more, so the project is not much help.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:42 am He works in Cubase, because […] Cubase is shit for live work and I prefer Studio One
Why not install one of your 5 Studio One authorizations on his computer, and have him put songs together in it for your work together? I'm sure he'd switch to Studio One full-time in no time.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I currently use NI Monark for prototyping my phrases / compositions for hardware (SoundStudio, Grandmother, Cre8Audio).

jamcat wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:06 amWhy not install one of your 5 Studio One authorizations on his computer, and have him put songs together in it for your work together? I'm sure he'd switch to Studio One full-time in no time.
He's got one (I think you only get 3), just as I have a Cubase license (and a dongle, of course). He likes to play around and I understand completely why he wouldn't want to shut down Cubase when he finishes working on a remix and open Studio One, just in case he comes up with something he wants to share.

It would actually make more sense for me to go back to Cubase for production but it is surprisingly not a hassle for us to be working in different hosts and I'd be happy enough if he just sent me the Cubase projects and made me do all the work. After all, it's not like we write a new album every week and he's not giving me finished pieces, just 2 or 3 minutes of noodling. It's my job to turn them into songs.

I've been using Studio One for more than two years now, I think, and two weeks ago was the first time he needed to bundle up anything for me to work on. For this album he'll probably have to bundle up 5 or 6 things, which is nothing compared to the 40 or so songs I've had to port from Cubase and Orion for our live sets. Best of all, he just did it one day, I didn't even have to ask.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

These days it is Massive X. It seems to have the best experience/sound for me in doing my own presets. It is a deep synth but worth all the investing in time and effort to learn it. I also use other great synths (PhasePlant, Icarus and Modwave especially), but my current project is to use Massive X only (so I can learn it well) with XO for drums.

https://youtu.be/BYzagFV0eLM

For me it's Shreddage 3 Hydra/Jupiter everyday.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:42 am Very perceptive of you.
Yeah, sorry dude. Was too obvious.

motif xs vst in cubendo

EnGee wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:50 am These days it is Massive X. It seems to have the best experience/sound for me in doing my own presets. It is a deep synth but worth all the investing in time and effort to learn it. I also use other great synths (PhasePlant, Icarus and Modwave especially), but my current project is to use Massive X only (so I can learn it well) with XO for drums.

NI rarely inspire me to buy their products,
the last time it was about 7 years ago?!
But your link - with the purpose to promote the product, I suppose - made me curious and I watched the video.
The look of this synth (saw and heard it for the first time now, because I have not subscribed to NI newsletter and didn't care about NI releases for some years) , well, I would expect such kind of gear maybe in a hospital,
as for making music not attractive to me, also soundwise not very convincing, there are better options imo (was not that easy to find a decent video with sound demos, obviously people prefer talking about this product) . But everyone likes different things, of course and my first NI experience again after quite a long time.
Last edited by DCrown on Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

DCrown wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:53 am
EnGee wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:50 am These days it is Massive X. It seems to have the best experience/sound for me in doing my own presets. It is a deep synth but worth all the investing in time and effort to learn it. I also use other great synths (PhasePlant, Icarus and Modwave especially), but my current project is to use Massive X only (so I can learn it well) with XO for drums.

NI rarely inspire me to buy their products,
the last time it was about 7 years ago?!
But your link made me curious and I watched the video.
The look of this synth, well, I would expect such kind of gear maybe in a hospital,
as for making music not attractive to me, also soundwise. But everyone likes different things, of course and my first NI experience again after quite a long time.
I think the look is elegant (hospital or prison themes! I don't care!). The sound is second to none of course.
The two major problems were/are: No midi learn and no enough visual feedback.

Anyway, NI solved some of the visual feedback (at least they fixed the envelopes redrawing) and with that was ok for me.
Midi learn is still a problem, but with macros it's bearable as Anyway, I won't need more than 2 or 3 automation.

All this doesn't matter as much as how usable it's for me. I tried to make a nice lush pad that is very smooth before yesterday in both PhasePlant and Massive X. In Massive X I could do it much faster and easier. That encourages me to make a whole track using only Massive X.

The video above is illustrating the workflow and features. You can't appreciate it unless you have already tried it and wanted to know it's inner working.

Return to “Instruments”