Use MIDI CC As keyswitch in TACT / Shreddage 3

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, this is my first post here so forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask. I'm a long time Shreddage user, and I usually use it for live performances.

On my MIDI controller, I have a few programmable pads and faders that I have all set up to use MIDI CC signals. One thing I'd love to be able to do, is use a fader to switch between two modes in Shreddage. For example, if my first fader was all the way down (MIDI CC# 28, value 0) then it would be the equivalent of having pressed C1 to latch the "Sustain" mode. If I push the fader all the way up (MIDI CC# 28, value 127) then it would be the equivalent of having pressed C#1 to latch the "Power Chord Sustain" mode. I've tried all manner of things from within TACT, and I can't seem to
figure it out.

In my mind, the following setup should work, but it does not:
Screenshot 2023-01-30 151310.png
I have tried removing the "Key" rule, disabling latching on it, and removing the "Velocity" rule. I also seem to have trouble using the CC signals from my MIDI pads on the same controller.

Am I misunderstanding how MIDI CC signals are supposed to be used here? I've been trying to figure it out for a few hours now, and I've had no luck with any combination of things I've tried. I figured it was time to ask here, so thanks ahead of time!

Editing to add a new piece of information. When I move my sliders, in the "Host Automation" section of Kontakt, I see the little red light go on next to some built-in automations. So the signals are being received, but I want to override these (i.e., remove existing automations) and only use those signals in TACT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You would indeed only need to use the CC rule if all you want to do is change from sustains to power chord sustains. If you use all three rules, they all HAVE to be fulfilled in order to activate the articulation.

I thought that might be the case, but I'd also like to retain the velocity rule so that I can still be expressive with my playing, such that muted notes are still triggered by lower velocity hits. Is there no way to have both?

OK so I need to apologize, I shared incorrect information.

If you have some artics responding to KS, those that you want to CC between also need to be on a KS. In your case, all articulations that you want to CC between need to share the same KS, so in the screenshot you posted if you change KS of Power Chord Sus to C-1, it should do what you want, and you also want Power Chord Mute to be on C-1 as well, to retain the velocity split.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”