Icons: The Compressor Collection by SOFTUBE

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
CLA Classic Compressors

Tendou wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:31 pm
Digivolt wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:07 pm Same DSP code as the NI versions apparently so apart from new UI, probably not worth a buy unless you want them for Console 1, always going to be a hard sell in the ocean that already exists of the same compressors done to death
whats ur source on this?
a post on GS
"This is Oskar at the Softube Support. Thanks for reaching out!

The FET Compressor Mk2 is completely rebuilt, based on another hardware version, and modeled differently. There should be an upgrade path available for you on the website.

There is however no crossgrade from the NI versions. They are based on the same emulation, same code, but are new plug-ins. And they have different feature sets.

The VCA also has new gain staging. So they will behave differently."

plexuss wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:41 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:43 pm A personal comment:

Man, how many of these standard stuff do we need?
99% of the listeners will not hear any difference in a mix.
It amazes me that I have to point this out: not everyone working with these tools is a professional interested in only the resulting mix. For many, audio and music is a hobby and playing with new toys is part of that hobby. Did you lose your mind or are you actually unaware of this aspect of music which has been an aspect of it for decades/centuries and possibly millenia.
Even more to the point, for many people, it's all about having accurate models of studio staples, for the sake of really learning and understanding the original hardware. You want the same controls, the same sound, and the same behaviours, for better or for worse, so you could walk into any studio and already know the kit, know how to use it, and already know how to get the results you want. Or at least have a credible parallel experience at home. It's like a flight simulator for the studio.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Softube make great plugins. Premium stuff IMO. I look forward to demo.

Hmm the price for 3 plugins is insane.

I honestly think you can get by with Presswerk for all your analogue style compression needs.l for a much lower price.

Lbdunequest wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:36 am Hmm the price for 3 plugins is insane.
Especially because 2 of the three are simply recycled code of age old NI plugins.
Not a smart move from Softube.

martinjuenke wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:27 am
Lbdunequest wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:36 am Hmm the price for 3 plugins is insane.
Especially because 2 of the three are simply recycled code of age old NI plugins.
Sure because if it sounded right from the start, to begin with, then rehashing technology in them "simply" must be bad. Stupid logic.

You use an operating system that has been rehashed countless times and changed features are mostly what is new or about.

Dombaeb wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:37 pm These compressors will be included in the next Volume to add value to it and fill the holes for those who tends to stick Softube plugins. Softube needs to update Volume so they decided to rework some good old code. NI compressors made by Softube, actually, sounds amazingly good but hard to use in modern times because of the interface, so I’m totally okay with reworking them. In addition, I’m sure these compressors were optimized a bit..

That is why these compressors are so expensive. You should be thrilled to buy them as part of a bundle.
This.

The usual upgrade to their collection is somewhere around 280€ (from what I already have). With this and some more included on top of what's already there it'll be worth it.

(cca 280€ when it's on sale)

kmonkey wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:51 am
martinjuenke wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:27 am
Sure because if it sounded right from the start, to begin with, then rehashing technology in them "simply" must be bad. Stupid logic.

You use an operating system that has been rehashed countless times and changed features are mostly what is new or about.
Actually NI softube LA2A emulation sounds very very similar (almost the same) as UAD counterpart :)

It does?
not been my experience and I have had both for years..
rsp
sound sculptist

Some additional information from Softube about what's new/isn't:
Softube wrote:Hey everyone, Andreas from Softube here, Thank You for the great feedback on the compressors!

Here's some more information about them:

FET Mk II is completely new mathematical model of a different hardware unit than the FET Mk I.

OPTO is based on the same mathematical modeling of the gain reduction circuit, ie. the optical element, photo resistors, etc, as the previous version, but emphasis, HF make-up, time knob, drive etc is new. There are also other factors which increase the precision and/or optimization of the new models, such as increased oversampling, listening tests and iterations. All of this leads to a product with higher authenticity in sound. The same applies for VCA, we used the same mathematical modeling of the heart, but created a new implementation around it with new features, better precision and higher authenticity.

To sum things up, all three are new products. We have improved parts we felt needed improvement and added exciting features that we hope you all think is useful!

I might just upgrade to FETv2 for the 38 euros because that's all I can afford at the moment.

I will wait for the other compressors to be put on sale for a good price whenever that happens.

They make good products like Model 84 so I like to support Softube whenever I can.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I demoed, not impressed at all,
already have too many good compressors.
"better precision and higher authenticity"?
just words, that you will believe if you believe, just pure marketing, honey for your brain.
I would rather buy Waves RComp again just to be able to use two different serial numbers on two tracks than any Softube product at the moment.
Softube have good products, no doubt,
but their reputation is better than most of their products imo

zvenx wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:54 pm It does?
not been my experience and I have had both for years..
rsp
I have both UAD native and NI/Softube. It does sound close enough to not care about UAD being UAD :)

I just tried it again on electric guitar, acoustic guitar, male and female spoken and sung voices.
We clearly hear completely differently.

There is a (desired) saturation in the UAD versions that I hear that are not there in the NI versions.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Effects”