Kilohearts Updates the Entire Kilohearts Ecosystem to v2 - Including Phase Plant

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Trancit wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:42 pm
liquidsound wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:22 pm ...
So after 2 years I get PP for… $39.76? :love:

Is that right?
If you just count what you really "lost"... yes...
I got confused actually.
I was reading at 4am last nigh :zzz:
I went back…
I can’t use the coupon if it’s on sell (it make sense…) and, after two years, I’m still paying full price, and some, for PP but with the advantage of using, in that period, the whole KH system which I don’t really need.

I own multi pass and snapheap and that’s plenty.

So, since I’m only considering PP, the $99 deal is preferable.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Boy Wonder wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:30 am A granular sampler and full-featured arp/sequencer. Shoot! My loins are on fire!
An arp/sequencer would open up PhasePlant so much more than the granular stuff IMO.

Personally I'm not very excited about the granular generator. I wish KHs would focus on more innovative and/or useful features. Stuff like new timestreching algos, multisamples, an audio editor to chop up samples like Renoise Redux does, more filter algos in the voice structure, feedback paths, better algo reverb, etc.

Even something as simple as adding a key range to the generators so that PhasePlant could become a modular drum machine.

How do you timestretch/pitchshift in Phase Plant?

liquidsound wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:04 pm
Trancit wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:42 pm
liquidsound wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:22 pm ...
So after 2 years I get PP for… $39.76? :love:

Is that right?
If you just count what you really "lost"... yes...
I got confused actually.
I was reading at 4am last nigh :zzz:
I went back…
I can’t use the coupon if it’s on sell (it make sense…) and, after two years, I’m still paying full price, and some, for PP but with the advantage of using, in that period, the whole KH system which I don’t really need.

I own multi pass and snapheap and that’s plenty.

So, since I’m only considering PP, the $99 deal is preferable.
You will eventually buy all of them :hihi:

I bought it when there was a discount some months ago ($99) which comes with the essentials for free (it is free now anyway, very generous of kHz). Then I used a coupon they sent me to buy one of the premium and later (with some light discount) I bought all the rest!

It definitely worth it, especially if there is any discount. The nice thing about such mega synth, is the company/developer has only one main product to concentrate on and update it. So, the developer tries to put everything and every effort into his baby. He/she doesn't spare things for this synth or that synth. This is why I like a lot PhasePlant. Of course the sound is more than great! and the possibilities are almost infinite in sound design :tu:

EnGee wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:46 pm You will eventually buy all of them :hihi:
Someone knows me intimately :hihi:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Definitely, yes to filter algos and, despite the fact feedback paths are quite neardy modular style sound design thing (that you can do in DAW anyway), it would expand the possibilities. I agree with that... But, all sample mangling features like multi-samples, and chopping are just a waste of time for Phase Plant... Soft synths, in general, should complement DAW, not try to replace it.

Furthermore, do you realize what effort one needs to invest in making a useful time-stretching algorithm? For example, Zplane made Elastique. The industry standard and is integrated into almost all professional tools and many DAWS. They have been developing and polishing it for years. What is the reason to develop your own?

I am once again convinced that if developers did everything they are offered, we would not get a single convenient and working tool...

P.S. I am, personally, very excited about granular in PP. It will be an amazing addition with all PP modulators.
pierb wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:57 pm
Boy Wonder wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:30 am A granular sampler and full-featured arp/sequencer. Shoot! My loins are on fire!
An arp/sequencer would open up PhasePlant so much more than the granular stuff IMO.

Personally I'm not very excited about the granular generator. I wish KHs would focus on more innovative and/or useful features. Stuff like new timestreching algos, multisamples, an audio editor to chop up samples like Renoise Redux does, more filter algos in the voice structure, feedback paths, better algo reverb, etc.

Even something as simple as adding a key range to the generators so that PhasePlant could become a modular drum machine.

Dombaeb wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:53 am But, all sample mangling features like multi-samples, and chopping are just a waste of time for Phase Plant... Soft synths, in general, should complement DAW, not try to replace it.
A DAW is not a sampler. PhasePlant is a sampler albeit a very limited one and I just wish it was more powerful in this respect. That would open up so many possibilities considering its modular nature.
Dombaeb wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:53 amFurthermore, do you realize what effort one needs to invest in making a useful time-stretching algorithm?
Of course. I never implied they should develop their own algos. They should totally use third party code from Zplane and others.

For me, PhasePlant as it is now, it is a complete mega synth. I don't use granular syntheses nor samples. FM/PM with VA/Wavetable is more than enough for me. I prefer Additive syntheses and Resynthesis more, but it would push the CPU usage more than now and I don't like that.
Maybe some other kind of filters are needed, but it is not analog emulation synth, so I don't care that much of having so many analog emulated filters.
I prefer that developers spend their time and efforts by keep polishing/fixing things (if needed) and add more innovative utilities and modulators.

Reasonable points. I want to say that in the hardware world, the best samplers are immediate ones, not feature-rich ones.

The beauty of PP now is the balance of power and immediacy. All my other super synths (Falcon, Rapid, and Zebra) have their strengths over PP and different sound characters. But, where PP shines is the wise balance of instant interaction, visual feedback, and rich sound design possibilities. Other super-synths are not so inviting to free experiments, but this is not the case with PP. You can turn off your mind, modulate everything with everything, drag & drop samples, copy/paste any module, mix oscillators, etc. in no time. This is more valuable than features.

This is a very delicate job, which is easy to destroy by mindlessly inflating the functionality.
pierb wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:38 pm
Dombaeb wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:53 am But, all sample mangling features like multi-samples, and chopping are just a waste of time for Phase Plant... Soft synths, in general, should complement DAW, not try to replace it.
A DAW is not a sampler. PhasePlant is a sampler albeit a very limited one and I just wish it was more powerful in this respect. That would open up so many possibilities considering its modular nature.
Dombaeb wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:53 amFurthermore, do you realize what effort one needs to invest in making a useful time-stretching algorithm?
Of course. I never implied they should develop their own algos. They should totally use third party code from Zplane and others.

Rarely I don't know how to install and activate a demo version, but how to demo phase plant, how do I get a serial number for the demo? I have installed the plugin manager and need to enter a serial number?

Dombaeb wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:15 am This is a very delicate job, which is easy to destroy by mindlessly inflating the functionality.
I 100% agree although I think it's possible to implement advanced sampler features and keep the KHs UX ethos.

IMO Falcon is a disaster in terms of UX.

DCrown wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:54 pm Rarely I don't know how to install and activate a demo version, but how to demo phase plant, how do I get a serial number for the demo? I have installed the plugin manager and need to enter a serial number?
https://kilohearts.com/products/phase_plant

Click on the dropdown arrow next to the price and select 10-day trial.

Enter your email and click "Start trial". You should get the details by email.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I bought phase plant at the weekend, I think it’s good but… why bother having a sampler module when it’s so limited, needs at least timestretch, pitch shift, the ability to slice and a granular option.

I love the synths and the GUI is great.

Really hoping the sampler module gets improved on, and a sequencer/arp everything else is awesome.

zzz00m wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:42 pm
DCrown wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:54 pm Rarely I don't know how to install and activate a demo version, but how to demo phase plant, how do I get a serial number for the demo? I have installed the plugin manager and need to enter a serial number?
https://kilohearts.com/products/phase_plant

Click on the dropdown arrow next to the price and select 10-day trial.

Enter your email and click "Start trial". You should get the details by email.
Thanks. It works. Synth is nice, but compared to all synths I have and most synths I have demoed, too many presets of phase plant unfortunately are real cpu hogs on my machine. Especially comparing it to the high quality effects and sound of Avenger with more different synth modes, it's pretty surprising

simmo75 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:50 pm I bought phase plant at the weekend, I think it’s good but… why bother having a sampler module when it’s so limited, needs at least timestretch, pitch shift, the ability to slice and a granular option.

I love the synths and the GUI is great.

Really hoping the sampler module gets improved on, and a sequencer/arp everything else is awesome.
Slice? On a synth? AFAIK PP is meant to be a synthesizer, not a sampling workstation. It is true that the more the merrier but if less is more then the less the merrier!

Return to “Instruments”