PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

jamcat wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:11 am But there is no reason that they should give you an option on Windows and not on Mac, other than conforming to Apple's culture of curated, limited choice on Mac. :shrug:

Also, heaps of software that give you an uninstaller on Windows don't give you one on Mac. In this instance IK Multimedia actually are quite good, as there is an uninstaller included in their install packages.
Can't speak to the Windows software center as I've never used it but I can see why they don't give the option in software center on the Mac. Windows doesn't have a default audio plugin format and Mac does (AU). Also makes it easier to move projects around between platforms if the VSTs are there by default. They do give you the option as in the individual installers if its truly that important. I suspect if you asked someone from Arturia the whys the answer wouldn't be "because we want to conform to Apple's culture of curated, limited choice". :hihi: They probably have very good reasons why. Clearly they can do whatever they need to and chose that way.

martin_l wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:03 pm Just an update on the PG-8X development. First of all, sorry that I have been mainly absent for a long time. I changed job, moved to a different country, had to get into my new job, which already takes much of my time, so I had very little time to look into the development of the PG-8X.

Now, that things finally have settled a bit, I started investigating the options again. I looked into JUCE and also iPlug2. From what I can see. JUCE would mean basically a complete rewrite of large parts of the plugin, at least the complete GUI. So, a few weeks ago, I started porting to iPlug2. The framework also has changed significantly from iPlug/WDL-OL, which I used for the PG-8X, and also there, I introduced many modofications of the framework, which are no longer compatible with iPlug2.

The current status is that the code compiles with iPlug2 as a standalone app, but the GUI is not yet functional. I am in contact with Oli Larkin and hope that I can resolve the issues soon.

Cheers,
Martin
Great news Martin !
Of course, your choice, but if debated I prefer you stay with a skeuomorphic GUI, and bitmap based. I found the vector based GUIs don’t make it (GForce SEM & Oddity v3, TAL…). In fact I think you’ve got a great GUI with v2 ! So just retina compatible and bigger :D

That's just, like, your opinion, man. :P

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:26 am That's just, like, your opinion, man. :P
No more and no less. :D

jamcat wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:12 pm
Your version is showing 2.0.7.
I think the version I have installed is 2.0.6, which is working.
Hum... Still written 2.0.7 !!
In fact, I've tried all the versions in the MAC-AU-discontinued folder, and each time the module manager show me v 2.0.7 !! :hyper:

BIG fan of this plugin, but after moving to an M1 mac, sadly not compatible and can't use it anymore. :( Is there any updates on this plugin to run natively on apple silicon??

johnghadimi wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:59 pm BIG fan of this plugin, but after moving to an M1 mac, sadly not compatible and can't use it anymore. :( Is there any updates on this plugin to run natively on apple silicon??

I also hope to see PG-8X updated for VST3 and native Apple Silicon.
Also maybe some tweaks to it for even more accuracy to the JX-8P.
PG-8X seems to be considerably quieter than other VST instruments, and comparing, for example, 07 HI STRINGS on a JX-8P to the original factory patch sysex imported to PG-8X, it sounds close, but a little weaker on PG-8X.

Anyways, until a native M1 version is available, you can follow these steps to use the discontinued AU version in your native Apple Silicon DAW (assuming it supports Audio Units):
  1. Download the last AU version of PG-8X.
  2. Manually copy PG-8X.component to Library> Audio > Plug-Ins > Components.
  3. Open Terminal and run these commands:

Code: Select all

sudo xattr -cr /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/PG-8X.component
    killall -9 AudioComponentRegistrar

The code above first removes the quarantine bit from the PG-8X AU plugin, then makes sure that the AudioUnitCache gets updated to register PG-8X next time you open your DAW.

If your DAW still isn't registering PG-8X, delete com.apple.audiounits.sandboxed.cache from Macintosh HD > Users > You > Library > Caches > AudioUnitCache.  → Restart…

(This will force AudioComponentRegistrar to rebuild the AudioUnitCache.)

Audio Units plugins are translated by Rosetta2 via AUHostingCompatibilityService, so Intel AU plugins will load in any native Apple Silicon AU host (for now.)
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:15 pmPG-8X seems to be considerably quieter than other VST instruments
On Settings page there's a Global Gain parameter that can give a 6 dB boost. Unsure if that's also there in the discontinued early AU version, though.

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:28 am Unsure if that's also there in the discontinued early AU version, though.
Yes, it is. :tu:

My DAW (Bitwig) sadly doesn't support AU. Only VST.
jamcat wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:15 pm
johnghadimi wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:59 pm BIG fan of this plugin, but after moving to an M1 mac, sadly not compatible and can't use it anymore. :( Is there any updates on this plugin to run natively on apple silicon??

PG-8X seems to be considerably quieter than other VST instruments, and comparing, for example, 07 HI STRINGS on a JX-8P to the original factory patch sysex imported to PG-8X, it sounds close, but a little weaker on PG-8X.

Anyways, until a native M1 version is available, you can follow these steps to use the discontinued AU version in your native Apple Silicon DAW (assuming it supports Audio Units):

The code above first removes the quarantine bit from the PG-8X AU plugin, then makes sure that the AudioUnitCache gets updated to register PG-8X next time you open your DAW.

If your DAW still isn't registering PG-8X, delete com.apple.audiounits.sandboxed.cache from Macintosh HD > Users > You > Library > Caches > AudioUnitCache.  → Restart…

Audio Units plugins are translated by Rosetta2 via AUHostingCompatibilityService, so Intel AU plugins will load in any native Apple Silicon AU host (for now.)

johnghadimi wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:07 am My DAW (Bitwig) sadly doesn't support AU. Only VST.
You might still be able to do it by loading it in Bluecat Audio Patch Work. There’s a free demo you can test it out.

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/

Thank you Jamcat, after many frustrating attempts those steps you describe are the ones that worked for me on an M1 Mac / Ventura. Appreciate it.
jamcat wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:15 pm

Your Advert Here!!!

lights wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:40 pm Thank you Jamcat, after many frustrating attempts those steps you describe are the ones that worked for me on an M1 Mac / Ventura. Appreciate it.
Great! :tu:

Were you able to do it with just the terminal commands, or did you also have to delete the AudioUnitCache?

Yup, pretty familiar with PatchWork.. will have to look into that.. I can't believe how expensive it is though!!
jamcat wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:05 am
johnghadimi wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:07 am My DAW (Bitwig) sadly doesn't support AU. Only VST.
You might still be able to do it by loading it in Bluecat Audio Patch Work. There’s a free demo you can test it out.

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/

Come to think of it, I thought Bitwig has the ability to open Intel VST plugins in the native Apple Silicon version. So, shouldn’t you be able to use the Mac VST version directly?

Return to “Instruments”