Fabfilter Twin 3 --Released Feb. 7th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Twin 3 Pro Expansion - Twin 3 Presets

Always been a fabfilter one , 2 fan but at a certain time I started disliikinf the filters algo's r ( except the old skool fabfilter )
Really curious what 3 has in petto , Iirc fabfilter 2 was released in 2009 so there is a lot of catching up to do .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Korg Supporter wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:04 pm Does it do FM (exponential and/or linear)?
Nope. Only basic subtractive synthesis.

4 oscs and 4 filters. Ring modulation between osc 1/2 and 3/4. Built in oscillator sync for every oscillator but they can't hard nor soft-sync between one another. Basically the synth engine is almost identical to Twin 2 but with one extra oscillator and 2 more filters. Audio engine has been heavily upgraded though so sound quality and overall responsiveness is on a whole other level.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:09 pm Always been a fabfilter one , 2 fan but at a certain time I started disliikinf the filters algo's r ( except the old skool fabfilter )
Really curious what 3 has in petto , Iirc fabfilter 2 was released in 2009 so there is a lot of catching up to do .
The trick is not to drive those filters too hard. A good starting point is to have each oscillator at around -12dB going into the filters.. or as low as -30dB even.

Unfortunately they still can't be properly compensated for at the main output stage if you want ultra clean sound. Then it's just best to use the 'Clean' filter model which has no built in saturation/feedback.

I tried to get them to add the 'Drive' control from Volcano 3 but alas, my request was denied. :(

bmanic wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:11 pm
Korg Supporter wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:04 pm Does it do FM (exponential and/or linear)?
Nope. Only basic subtractive synthesis.

4 oscs and 4 filters. Ring modulation between osc 1/2 and 3/4. Built in oscillator sync for every oscillator but they can't hard nor soft-sync between one another. Basically the synth engine is almost identical to Twin 2 but with one extra oscillator and 2 more filters. Audio engine has been heavily upgraded though so sound quality and overall responsiveness is on a whole other level.
Two ring modulators? That's neat. I wonder if there's a sideband filter mode.

Thanks bmanic for the sound examples. You should tell Fabfilter to put some on their Twin webpage; there's none at the moment, as if they wanted to hide how their synth sounds, which I don't think is the best way to promote and sell it.

GHOST19 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:17 pm Thanks bmanic for the sound examples. You should tell Fabfilter to put some on their Twin webpage; there's none at the moment, as if they wanted to hide how their synth sounds, which I don't think is the best way to promote and sell it.
I assume they will tomorrow have more sound examples..
But yes his audio 20 minute noodles sells the synth way more for me than the teaser video.
rsp
sound sculptist

bmanic wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:58 pm Also, they finally implemented proper scaling into the plugin meaning you can have much larger text and knobs which is fantastic for me as my eye sight isn't what it used to be (and it was shit to begin with!).
That's the exciting news for me! Any idea if it gets implemented to their other plugins too?

SamDi wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:09 pm Can anybody tell me, what's the USP of Twin (3) and why I need it?
It's a pretty basic analog subtractive synth with Fabfilter-style modulation. You don't need it. But you may want it.

e@rs wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:20 pm
bmanic wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:58 pm Also, they finally implemented proper scaling into the plugin meaning you can have much larger text and knobs which is fantastic for me as my eye sight isn't what it used to be (and it was shit to begin with!).
That's the exciting news for me! Any idea if it gets implemented to their other plugins too?
Agree. Can't wait for that to roll out to the rest. The FF team must have great eyesight and large monitors.

bmanic wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:11 pm Built in oscillator sync for every oscillator but they can't hard nor soft-sync between one another. Basically the synth engine is almost identical to Twin 2 but with one extra oscillator and 2 more filters. Audio engine has been heavily upgraded though so sound quality and overall responsiveness is on a whole other level.
Build in osc sync is so weak because it won't let you "windowed Sync" ( similar to casio resonant waveforms and or vosim synthesis )
No FM either , :lol: , you could kind of use the audio rate lfo's but what a misser they didn't includeproper FM
Not even gonna bother demoing it .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:21 pm
SamDi wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:09 pm Can anybody tell me, what's the USP of Twin (3) and why I need it?
It's a pretty basic analog subtractive synth with Fabfilter-style modulation. You don't need it. But you may want it.
Just read the posts of bmanic more in detail. I guess it's not for me then. The part, that you have full modulation capabilities, even over the effects, sounds interesting, but Phase Plant gives me that already.

What I am wondering about, is that FF regards Twin worth to be updated. I can not image, that there is a big market for such a kind of synth.

e@rs wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:20 pm
Well I'm going to nag about it until it does!!!! It's an absolute MUST have feature for the horribly small text in Timeless 3!

bmanic wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:37 pm Well I'm going to nag about it until it does!!!! It's an absolute MUST have feature for the horribly small text in Timeless 3!
Timeless 3 is the worst in that regard by far. Hopefully the first they update.

GHOST19 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:17 pm Thanks bmanic for the sound examples. You should tell Fabfilter to put some on their Twin webpage; there's none at the moment, as if they wanted to hide how their synth sounds, which I don't think is the best way to promote and sell it.
Fabfilter never seem to do any kind of flashy promotion or anything. It's just one basic intro video day before release, then release it to the wild with a very generous several weeks fully functional demo. It's what they have been doing for more than a decade and seems to work for them.

Oh and the magic of Dan Worrall and his videos. I'm sure they've ordered a video from Dan for this one as well. That'll sell this thing by the bucket load. :)

the best thing to do always with an upcoming plugin is to judge it before trying it. :roll:

my fabfilter eq, comp, etc etc are exceptional, essential plugins, so will give this a shot tomorrow.

Return to “Instruments”