Fabfilter Twin 3 --Released Feb. 7th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Twin 3 Pro Expansion - Twin 3 Presets

E-P-I-C! Really like the introduction tune... Would be nice if fabfilter was more into synths :o This synth though seems to lack of unison :hihi:

SamDi wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:31 pm What I am wondering about, is that FF regards Twin worth to be updated. I can not image, that there is a big market for such a kind of synth.
I suspect they will sell tons of it still. Not sure why or how but FabFilter seem to have a huge market in the brick and mortar stores. I think they still sell "boxes" in many places.

.. and there are always people starting out with synths. Twin 3 is actually a really good "my first synth" kind of thing as it can be as complex as you want it to be or very simple. Then again, the price of FF plugins can be a bit of a hindrance for first time buyers. We'll see how it does. It's definitely not "revolutionary" in any way but it _is_ a very nice basic synthesizer in my opinion.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Cool demo tune!

elxsound wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:58 pm
bmanic wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:45 pm
zvenx wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:29 pm Thanks for sharing.

Is it just me but it doesn't sound that good in the Out soon video?
rsp
That would be my fault then (unless they screwed up in mastering). Sounds pretty good to my ears though.

That intro music clip is just 6 tracks (edit: forgot the white noise swoosh.. so 6 tracks). First 0 to 27 seconds is one single preset. All FX used in the track are from Twin 3. Only external FX used was DAW Volume, Pan, EQ (Pro-Q) and compression (ReaComp most of the time but some Pro-C instances).

So yeah, it's perhaps not as polished as some professional music people make it sounds. Oh well. :)

I can post (if I get permission from FF) some straight from synth clips here in a bit.
Man… don’t even sweat it.

It’s people looking to gripe about anything.

It’s suspenseful, crisp, clean and shows it can do highs without out sounding too bright.

Congrats on being apart of another Fabfilter release! :party:
True. People gripe just to hear the sound of their voice while contributing NOTHING but negativity to forums.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Waiting for the Dan Worrall video^^

Twin 3. Shouldn't that be Triplet?

I'd buy it if it adds fm or some other interesting type of synthesis, instead of just subtractive. I didn't get twin 2 because it just does the basics afaik

Yeah I hope Twin 3 will become a framework that they can update new interesting oscillator types for. Who knows. Let FabFilter know and maybe we get something in the future?

I mean they could just slap on add on interesting oscillator "modules" into the oscillator section as there's plenty of space in the UI.. for instance some simple granular/sampler module.. or wavetable (though I feel people are getting tired of those). Who knows.. FF walk in mysterious ways. Hope they keep it updated like Arturia did with Pigments.

As it is though, it's a very capable "basic" synthesizer with it's own sound character.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:47 pm
SamDi wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:31 pm What I am wondering about, is that FF regards Twin worth to be updated. I can not image, that there is a big market for such a kind of synth.
I suspect they will sell tons of it still. Not sure why or how but FabFilter seem to have a huge market in the brick and mortar stores. I think they still sell "boxes" in many places.

.. and there are always people starting out with synths. Twin 3 is actually a really good "my first synth" kind of thing as it can be as complex as you want it to be or very simple. Then again, the price of FF plugins can be a bit of a hindrance for first time buyers. We'll see how it does. It's definitely not "revolutionary" in any way but it _is_ a very nice basic synthesizer in my opinion.
Hm maybe. Although the typical FF GUI is not fitting to all kind of stuff IMHO. While Pro-MB is the best GUI for multiband dynamics ever and similar for Pro-Q, Saturn is pretty good, but I have my already problems with the modulation system there. I mean, when you compare the XLFO with Serum's MSEG or Pigment's or Phase Plant's, you maybe know what I mean.
Timeless then is a plugin, where I already think it's relatively challenging to use. With the modulation system you can implement stuff as flutter or ducking, but you have already fairly to know, what you do.

Is the modulation system similar as in Saturn or Timeless?

SamDi wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:05 pm
bmanic wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:47 pm

Hm maybe. Although the typical FF GUI is not fitting to all kind of stuff IMHO. While Pro-MB is the best GUI for multiband dynamics ever and similar for Pro-Q, Saturn is pretty good, but I have my already problems with the modulation system there. I mean, when you compare the XLFO with Serum's MSEG or Pigment's or Phase Plant's, you maybe know what I mean.
Timeless then is a plugin, where I already think it's relatively challenging to use. With the modulation system you can implement stuff as flutter or ducking, but you have already fairly to know, what you do.

Is the modulation system similar as in Saturn or Timeless?
I also found Timeless 3 modulation more challenging to use and I’ve been a Timeless fan since v1 and use all the Fabfilter tools consistently.

From the intro video it looks the same, which is my disappointment.

Awesome, gimme that loyalty discount! Looks like a lot of work went into that GUI. :love:
Double Tap wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:38 pm Twin 3. Shouldn't that be Triplet?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

bmanic wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:11 pm
Korg Supporter wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:04 pm Does it do FM (exponential and/or linear)?
Nope. Only basic subtractive synthesis.

4 oscs and 4 filters. Ring modulation between osc 1/2 and 3/4. Built in oscillator sync for every oscillator but they can't hard nor soft-sync between one another. Basically the synth engine is almost identical to Twin 2 but with one extra oscillator and 2 more filters. Audio engine has been heavily upgraded though so sound quality and overall responsiveness is on a whole other level.
I would have two questions:
How many envelopes and how many (X)LFOs you can throw in? And how many levels of modulation sidebands are possible?

😍 built in fx , yummy !

Very excited about having the modern FF DSP into a synth. For me the selling point are really the effects and volcano filters.

Hey bmanic are there any creative features in the effects section? Can you have multiple instances of each effect? Can you do crazy parallel routing?

Is this just subtractive or have they updated it to a 2023 standard?
Would be a shame if it’s just subtractive, when there’s so many options available already.

Return to “Instruments”