Fabfilter Twin 3 --Released Feb. 7th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Twin 3 Pro Expansion - Twin 3 Presets

Twin has been around since 2005 and predates many of the plugins that they are now most known for. I think it's great that they're keeping it alive and that it's now in its third generation. I'm primarily using hardware synths again these days, but Twin 3 will be an instant purchase for me. :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

a9k1tp wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:30 pm
Lbdunequest wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:53 pm
a9k1tp wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:33 pm Only Serum and Phaseplant have nailed the MSEGs. Hive would be a lot easier to work with synth if it had MSEGs like Serum. XLFOs in fabfilter plugins are also not good.
PhasePlant doesnt have MSEGs
The thing where you can freely move points. These points snaps to grid and we can select no
. of xy grid lines. That is what I am talking about.
You may call them editable LFOs, I think they are also MSEGs, technically.
What are you all talking about? Phaseplant got true MSEGs with the curve module in v2.0. Available both as a modulator and as an amp envelope in the generator section. For use as envelopes they're better than Serum's LFOs IMO since you can have a loopable sustain section. Also you aren't limited to a grid with the LFOs or the MSEG, snapping can be disabled.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

i hope the GUI is an eyesore and they hide important controls in an inconvenient pop-up menu represented by a tiny symbol. Can't wait

SamDi wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:05 pm Timeless then is a plugin, where I already think it's relatively challenging to use. With the modulation system you can implement stuff as flutter or ducking, but you have already fairly to know, what you do.

Is the modulation system similar as in Saturn or Timeless?
Out of all their new releases, Timeless is easily the worst one. It _sounds_ incredible and you can get some fantastic results, but unless you use it every day you're gonna open it and have to take a minute to figure out how to get where you want to go. The interface on that is the least intuitive of any delay plugin on the market, and I mean it.

like, select a synced delay time, in dotted... pain in the feckin ayessss. Such a fiddly pain in the plopper

dangayle wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:10 pm
SamDi wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:05 pm Timeless then is a plugin, where I already think it's relatively challenging to use. With the modulation system you can implement stuff as flutter or ducking, but you have already fairly to know, what you do.

Out of all their new releases, Timeless is easily the worst one. It _sounds_ incredible and you can get some fantastic results, but unless you use it every day you're gonna open it and have to take a minute to figure out how to get where you want to go. The interface on that is the least intuitive of any delay plugin on the market, and I mean it.
Yeah, totally agree with this. I barely use it for the exact same reason.

I use it every day. Well nearly.
I find stuff i need superfast. I love the GUI. Best Delay GUI for me :D

V2 for me was a disaster to the point that i never even bothered to use it.

Funny how polarizing timeless3 GUI is tho. People either love it or hate it.

i also agree about timeless 3 gui but i have been forcing myself to use it because i like the results and the abilities.
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Ploki wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:35 pm

Yep. I’m in the process of selling it. I dislike it. Much faster/better with Valhalla Delay- can add EQ or filter as needed. I never have needed the full depth of Timeless3 in a delay. But some people clearly also love it.

As a pro Ux person… it’s just not a good UX for non-sound designers. It makes the hard stuff easier and the easy stuff harder.

But I like Saturn 2 and Volcano 3. I’ll try this one, too.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:49 pm
As a pro Ux person… it’s just not a good UX for non-sound designers. It makes the hard stuff easier and the easy stuff harder.
Yes, this is what I've been unable to articulate about it. I totally get what they were trying to accomplish, but I feel they may have tried to force things into a strict adherence to their new design language without considering all use cases. It feels to me like they didn't do enough user testing, because even a 5 minute session with a handful of new users would have revealed that something was up. Quintessential case of engineering driven design vs of UX driven.

pierb wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:09 pm
Lbdunequest wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:53 pm
a9k1tp wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:33 pm Only Serum and Phaseplant have nailed the MSEGs. Hive would be a lot easier to work with synth if it had MSEGs like Serum. XLFOs in fabfilter plugins are also not good.
PhasePlant doesnt have MSEGs
Almost. LFOs can be edited to create any pattern.

No looping points and release phase like in Zebra though.
Ah yes that is true.

sqigls wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:18 pm like, select a synced delay time, in dotted... pain in the feckin ayessss. Such a fiddly pain in the plopper
??

You double click any of the sides you want dotted, left or right, then write 'd' into it. Or just choose it from the drop down menu? :?: :?:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:49 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:35 pm

Yep. I’m in the process of selling it. I dislike it. Much faster/better with Valhalla Delay- can add EQ or filter as needed. I never have needed the full depth of Timeless3 in a delay. But some people clearly also love it.

But I like Saturn 2 and Volcano 3. I’ll try this one, too.
What about UX do you think is a misfire?

bmanic wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:52 am
sqigls wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:18 pm like, select a synced delay time, in dotted... pain in the feckin ayessss. Such a fiddly pain in the plopper
??

You double click any of the sides you want dotted, left or right, then write 'd' into it. Or just choose it from the drop down menu? :?: :?:
a few extra steps to do basic stuff. And the tiny areas to click on to do basic stuff.
it's fiddly,
Adjusting the Q on the filters, a couple of things that put me off for sure.
I'm not a newb, but it's not an easy to use delay. The GUI is pretty, but the workflow is a pain.
It's a study the manual delay, not intuitive
the only reason i keep it is for Simon Stockhausen's Relativity presets

I agree that the UI is way too tiny for basic stuff.. but a literal mouse click and entering a value 'd' is hardly pain in the ass.

For me the biggest problem is the tiny dots etc. Actual usability, if you can just hit the damn mouse targets, is fine. Hopefully this will be upgraded with the scaling option currently found only in Twin 3. Then it should be much easier to hit all the targets with the mouse.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Instruments”