Fabfilter Twin 3 --Released Feb. 7th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Twin 3 Pro Expansion - Twin 3 Presets

fabfilter wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:34 pm Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback and discussion! Some replies:

- The keyboard shortcuts quoted above are in addition to using the mouse. The most straightforward way to change the slope or shape of a filter is via the shape button in the pop-up filter parameter value display.
OK but I love the old knobs with pan and level in one knob for filters

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:01 pm Some presets seem really quiet or not making a sound for me.
pump up that drive knob :oops:
aliasing plugin owner
:?

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:01 pm Some presets seem really quiet or not making a sound for me.
Is it the ones in the Sidechain category?

Otherwise it's a bug. I quickly double checked a fresh install of Twin3 and all presets have pretty even volume (except for a very few drum sounds that abuse the compressor and thus can clip a bit). There are a few presets in the Sidechain category that do not make any sounds.

Do you have Twin2 installed? Are you perhaps browsing Twin2 preset folder? Twin3 is not 100% backwards compatible.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

The clean filter set to 48db + high reso gives the same horrible clipping as twin 2
What a joke !
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I feel like if a "Product Manager" job opened up at Fabfilter, bmanic would be the person I'd most want to see in that role. He gets what they're doing as a company, but also gets what users are going to be looking for, which Fabfilter has a bit of a blind spot for currently.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:36 pm The clean filter set to 48db + high reso gives the same horrible clipping as twin 2
What a joke !
There's hard clipping on the output of Twin3. Are you clipping the output perhaps?

Simply lowering the volume shows no clipping here. You can easily test it on a sine wave and set filter to the fundamental and crank up the resonance to full. It's just _very loud_ because as it says on the label, it's clean. There is no built in feedback saturation on that filter model. It's a plain vanilla filter.

So you are clipping the output of the whole synth most likely.

EDIT: For it not to clip on a sine fundamental at 100% resonance, you need to set oscillator down to about -40dB and the main output of the synth to -20dB. That's how loud it gets at 48dB slope and full resonance cranked. :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:28 pm All of you who have feature requests (FM, PM, different type of oscillators etc) I highly suggest you write these down on the FabFilter forum as the guys at FF very rarely read any other forums (if ever).
I did that back in 2010 , fabfilter doesn't really care about user requests :lol:
Eyeball exchanging

fabfilter wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:34 pm Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback and discussion! Some replies:

- The keyboard shortcuts quoted above are in addition to using the mouse. The most straightforward way to change the slope or shape of a filter is via the shape button in the pop-up filter parameter value display.

- We thought about including filter drive, but couldn’t find a good way to include that without making the filter parameter display very unwieldy. Yes we could have solved this by adding more prominent filter controls, but our main objective with the GUI was to keep it as simple and elegant as possible. Whether or not we have succeeded and if you like that is for everyone to judge for themselves. :)

- We are looking to include MPE and VST3 note expression in a future (free) update. We had to cut that feature in order to not delay the release any longer (the comment above about this being a huge rewrite is spot-on).
Other than MPE and VST3 note expressions what other features have you planned for the future?

pierb wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:57 pm

- We thought about including filter drive, but couldn’t find a good way to include that without making the filter parameter display very unwieldy. Yes we could have solved this by adding more prominent filter controls, but our main objective with the GUI was to keep it as simple and elegant as possible. Whether or not we have succeeded and if you like that is for everyone to judge for themselves. :)

- We are looking to include MPE and VST3 note expression in a future (free) update. We had to cut that feature in order to not delay the release any longer (the comment above about this being a huge rewrite is spot-on).
Other than MPE and VST3 note expressions what other features have you planned for the future?
"Its directly tied to how many sales we make..." :lol:

rezoneight wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:04 pm "Its directly tied to how many sales we make..." :lol:
Honestly, I'd be happy to buy Twin 3 now to support development of further features... if I knew what the roadmap is.

bmanic wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:43 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:36 pm The clean filter set to 48db + high reso gives the same horrible clipping as twin 2
What a joke !
There's hard clipping on the output of Twin3. Are you clipping the output perhaps?

Simply lowering the volume shows no clipping here. You can easily test it on a sine wave and set filter to the fundamental and crank up the resonance to full. It's just _very loud_ because as it says on the label, it's clean. There is no built in feedback saturation on that filter model. It's a plain vanilla filter.

EDIT: For it not to clip on a sine fundamental at 100% resonance, you need to set oscillator down to about -40dB and the main output of the synth to -20dB. That's how loud it gets at 48dB slope and full resonance cranked. :)
It's pure and simple >0db clipping of the output stage .
Eyeball exchanging

fabfilter wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:34 pm - We are looking to include MPE and VST3 note expression in a future (free) update. We had to cut that feature in order to not delay the release any longer (the comment above about this being a huge rewrite is spot-on).
Great to hear this - the addition of MPE is something I'm looking forward to. Clearly, a big effort - but if one has an MPE controller, a very nice addition to an already great product.

Twin 3 sounds really good. Worth the $ for the Dan Worrall drum presets alone. I'm sure he'll drop a video worth dissecting. Always so much to learn from his videos.

Counter to the opinions of the typical KVR complainers here, I think bmanic did an excellent job creating presets. I see bmanic's presets show up with some of the best producers out there. Some create, others complain and try to tear people down. The haters never have the art or success to back up their mouths.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:32 pm
bmanic wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:43 pm
What a joke !

It's pure and simple >0db clipping of the output stage .
Re-reading bmanic's post, it sounds like he is saying that it is expected behavior when using the "Clean" filter.

I'm assuming that if you want different behavior, then you would need to switch to a different filter type.

*I have not downloaded Twin 3 yet, so I'm definitely not arguing anything.

i like how snappy the envelopes are, very good synth for drums
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Return to “Instruments”