Auto-Tune inventor Dr. Andy Hildebrand wins Grammy and celebrates with limited time promo price

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:36 am
DCrown wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:45 am
jens wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:36 am So when can we hear some of your great singing?
I recommend listening to Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Ella Fitzgerald, some examples of autotune - free good singers or Bob Dylan

Especially with Curtis Mayfield and Bob Dylan I am not sure whether autotune could deal with detecting so many out of tune tones, maybe the daw would crash or your pc could explode ? I wouldn't change a single note of their vocals, though

You, know... I think just not replying at all to my question would have been a little less embarassing for you than this... :lol: :hihi:

So just as I thought: you''re just a clueless & untalented bitter old man...
I did not join this thread to post my mixes,
would be ot,your aim is pretty obvious, you won' t trap me!

It's about autotune, I don't like it, I don't use it and whoever wants to use it, should use it. Autotune is a part of 21st century music productions, completely over-used and I repeat again it's like correcting guitar solos (no guitarist would be happy about it, it's a matter of honour or pride) or use a wah effect on every guitar as effect.

If you want to listen to autotune-free vocals, I recommend listening to Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Al Green or Stevie Wonder, and maybe you will notice that I ape you by repeating again and again.

jens wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:13 pm You appear to be a really good singer yourself, going by what you wrote here in this thread.
He or she said they had recorded singers, no mention of *being* a good singer...?

Or do we now assume that in order to judge an artistic performance one had to be an artist in the same field?

DCrown wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:03 am
jens wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:36 am So when can we hear some of your great singing?
I recommend listening to Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Ella Fitzgerald, some examples of autotune - free good singers or Bob Dylan

Especially with Curtis Mayfield and Bob Dylan I am not sure whether autotune could deal with detecting so many out of tune tones, maybe the daw would crash or your pc could explode ? I wouldn't change a single note of their vocals, though

You, know... I think just not replying at all to my question would have been a little less embarassing for you than this... :lol: :hihi:

It's about autotune, I don't like it, I don't use it and whoever wants to use it, should use it. Autotune is a part of 21st century music productions, completely over-used and I repeat again it's like correcting guitar solos (no guitarist would be happy about it, it's a matter of honour or pride) or use a wah effect on every guitar as effect.

If you want to listen to autotune-free vocals, I recommend listening to Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Al Green or Stevie Wonder, and maybe you will notice that I ape you by repeating again and again.

If I want to hear pitch-correction free vocals I most obviously can safely listen to anything that has been recorded before pitch-correction had been available, so there is absolutely zero point in posting such a random list of your personal favourites from way back.

Unlike examples of your own work this list is indeed completely irrelevant to this thread.

I think a reminder is in order about the insults you posted regarding anyone who dares to use pitch-correction.
Last edited by jens on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Sly Stone. One of my fav singers!
Also background vocals simply amazing.

jens wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:13 am
DCrown wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:03 am

If I want to hear pitch-correction free vocals I most obviously can safely listen to anything that has been recorded before pitch-correction had been available, so there is absolutely zero point in posting such a random list of your personal favourites from way back.

Unlike examples of your own work this list is indeed completely irrelevant to this thread.

I think a reminder is in order about the insults you posted regarding anyone who dares to use pitch-correction.
The singers I chose randomly, I could name 100 more! I am not the manager or promoter of Stevie Wonder & Co.
Their talent and skills speak for themselves.

If not hyping and celebrating a product is an insult, KVR is full of insults.
Some negative feedback can even be an inspiration to a dev to improve his product.
As to autotune I cleary explained why I dislike it and I am for sure not the only one.
Last edited by DCrown on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

I actually think that pitch correction is a major contributor to the decline of the music industry, maybe much more than file sharing and the end of physical media was. Latter are blamed often, but the impact of former seems more obvious to me.

I think that more music would be sold and the music industry would be in a better place if artistry was still worth something. If one could still be a fan of a musical performer. But alas, everyone knows it's all fake now, and while that's not the fault of the discovery of pitch correction itself, it sure is the fault of the "creative" use of it, which is a sell out of artistry over quick results. And that of course is something everyone hears, everyone knows and nobody really is a fan of, not for more than the fad of the moment.

Urs wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:22 am I actually think that pitch correction is a major contributor to the decline of the music industry, maybe much more than file sharing and the end of physical media was. Latter are blamed often, but the impact of former seems more obvious to me.

I think that more music would be sold and the music industry would be in a better place if artistry was still worth something. If one could still be a fan of a musical performer. But alas, everyone knows it's all fake now, and while that's not the fault of the discovery of pitch correction itself, it sure is the fault of the "creative" use of it, which is a sell out of artistry over quick results. And that of course is something everyone hears, everyone knows and nobody really is a fan of, not for more than the fad of the moment.
I completely agree with you and I am not even a family member :D
And even had to pay every U-he plugin LOL

Urs wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:22 am I actually think that pitch correction is a major contributor to the decline of the music industry, maybe much more than file sharing and the end of physical media was. Latter are blamed often, but the impact of former seems more obvious to me.

Has someone hijacked your account?

Total bollocks.

I like artistry, Marvin Gaye, and some awesome examples of artistic AT. They’re not mutually exclusive FFS.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Urs, I humbly suggest you listen to Bon Iver or Frank Ocean. In their hands auto tune isn’t a crutch it’s a crayon. Your synths sound good raw but damn some patches sound sublime with a bit of shimmer verb. Try wrapping your head around that.

Auto tune has been with us for decades now. It is at least a trend, a fad would be much more short lived. But I digress.
Last edited by Scotty on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

revvy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:26 amartistic AT.
I never even liked the original song by Cher. So for me, personally, there was never any artistic benefit in its use. Maybe except for that one first funny video where someone sent a news reader through it. That was kind of original *IMHO*.

Certainly, people have different tastes, and somehow the repetitive nature of the use of pitch correction (which also literally repeats individual cycles with a sample phrase) probably shapes what is culturally accepted. So it's totally okay and understandable if many people actually *like* the effect.

What I'm saying though is that apart from liking it, everyone also knows how it comes about. So everyone knows that what they hear is not what the singer actually performed. Everybody knows.

It would be naive to think that this doesn't reflect on the perception of artistic value, and on the production as a whole, and even pop culture as a total.

Urs wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:36 am
revvy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:26 amartistic AT.
I never even liked the original song by Cher. So for me, personally, there was never any artistic benefit in its use. Maybe except for that one first funny video where someone sent a news reader through it. That was kind of original *IMHO*.

Certainly, people have different tastes, and somehow the repetitive nature of the use of pitch correction (which also literally repeats individual cycles with a sample phrase) probably shapes what is culturally accepted. So it's totally okay and understandable if many people actually *like* the effect.

What I'm saying though is that apart from liking it, everyone also knows how it comes about. So everyone knows that what they hear is not what the singer actually performed. Everybody knows.

It would be naive to think that this doesn't reflect on the perception of artistic value, and on the production as a whole, and even pop culture as a total.
I hate that Cher song.

And I’m far from naive thanks.

Seriously, astonishing to hear this from you. Never mind, not important compared to all the important things. And i don’t own any of your work nor shares in Antares, so not like I feel personally smited or anything.

Continue having a good career, be careful which companies you shit on.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:26 am

Has someone hijacked your account?

Total bollocks.

I like artistry, Marvin Gaye, and some awesome examples of artistic AT. They’re not mutually exclusive FFS.

Yes, clueless bollocks indeed.

I said it elsewhere and I will say it again here:

Our bar-staff at work are all young fashionable students who have the liberty to chose the music that is running during their shift. They always use Spotify and really anything goes, I kid you not, and they totally make use of that freedom. And ALL THE TIME I hear great music I never heard of. Loads of fresh, new stuff that is crafty, creative and inspiring - really good music that young people listen to these days. But then again I try to get old without getting my head sucked in too far up my own arse, so I try to be open, rather than judgemental and dismissive.

And while the charts may paint a somewhat different picture, that was always the case. I still remember that back in the 80's and 90's I always was convinced that they used just about the worst songs on many albums as the first single. Of course there were always exceptions to that but the majority of what was in the charts I often found decidedly meh...

To quote Karl Valentin:

"Früher war sogar die Zukunft besser." (In the past, even the future was better than it is today.)
Last edited by jens on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Scotty wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:30 am Urs, I humbly suggest you listen to Bon Iver or Frank Ocean. In their hands auto tune isn’t a crutch it’s a crayon. Your synths sound good raw but damn some patches sound sublime with a bit of shimmer verb. Try wrapping your head around that.

Auto tune has been with us for decades now. It is at least a trend, a fad would be much more short lived. But I digress.
Thanks, I'll try to squeeze those in my playlist.

I do see a fundamental difference between what extreme pitch correction does to audio as opposed to what reverb, delay, chorus, compression, eq etc. do.

And among all this, I repeat that this is my opinion. I'm not assuming authority in any way, I just have a few thoughts that seem sound to me, but I'll happily accept the opposite if I'm wrong.

You know whats funny about being an Ambient Artist. :phew:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

@Urs
The decline started in 1990s with daws, soon everyone could all of sudden produce music. At first glance it sounds nice that everyone can produce music on a small budget. Today we have 100.000 new audio uploads every day. It would take a whole life to listen to every track of one day only.
Back in the day you could easily listen to all new releases of a week on a weekend.
So it's kinda paradox that you develop plugins for daws and herby support the system knowing your views now, I know it's not your aim to support bad or soulless music productions.
There's still good music today, but not that easy to find, music is a mass product today.
It's like a lot of people have become car producers all of a sudden and try to sell cars, but lots of cars with brakes not working properly, with faulty steering or some even forgot to add wheels.
It's more difficult to produce a car than one might think and customers want to buy a good car usually.
Last edited by DCrown on Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Effects”