Fabfilter Twin 3 --Released Feb. 7th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Twin 3 Pro Expansion - Twin 3 Presets

zeph wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:04 am
BONES wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:56 am
liquidsound wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:15 am Believe or not, I went for Twin 3 instead of Phase Plant (I know, I know… :hihi: ) I just love the 4 filters thing and the price deal!
What price deal? It's more than I paid for Phase Plant. In fact, $129 would make it the most expensive plugin I own and I'm not seeing or hearing anything that's making it think it's worth more than any other plugin I own. It's nice but I don't see any value in it. FabFilter stuff is all over-priced.
Totally agree with all your comments :) :wink:
For total bundle owners the price is much cheaper, £38 for me, which will come down to £29 at sale times. FF stuff is pricey, but once you are locked in upgrades and new products are pittance. If you are/were able to get the total bundle with 50% educational discount, like I did (legitimately) it's even better value.
Always Read the Manual!

Some odd decisions
If you have two filters set to 'per osc' and you have three osc's .
The first osc goes into the first filter , the second into the second one ,but the third one goes into both filters ( untill you insert a third filter , then osc3 --->filter 3)
It would be more logical if the third osc would not be filtered at all when only 2 filters are inserted
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:22 am
Vortifex wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:00 am I don't understand the purpose of the filter offset controls. They just seem to do exactly what the actual filter controls do. Why would I need them when I can just adjust the filter instead? Can someone give an example where I would use them?
Because you can control the two filters at once , from an env, lfo , mod wheel etc ..
All 4 filters

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:53 am Some odd decisions
The first osc goes into the first filter , the second into the second one ,but the third one goes into both filters ( untill you insert a third filter , then osc3 --->filter 3)
It would be more logical if the third osc would not be filtered at all when only 2 filters are inserted
insert a third and bypass it.
That’s probably a decision they took to increase routing options without overly complicating filter routing system

fabfilter wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:34 pm Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback and discussion!
(..)
It seems you've forgotten to update the image on the checkout page :clown:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:54 am
bmanic wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:15 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:01 pm Some presets seem really quiet or not making a sound for me.
Is it the ones in the Sidechain category?

Otherwise it's a bug. I quickly double checked a fresh install of Twin3 and all presets have pretty even volume (except for a very few drum sounds that abuse the compressor and thus can clip a bit). There are a few presets in the Sidechain category that do not make any sounds.

Do you have Twin2 installed? Are you perhaps browsing Twin2 preset folder? Twin3 is not 100% backwards compatible.
No these are Twin 3 patches mainly in the pads section
Are you by any chance using NI Maschine? There was a user over at Gearslutz who seems to have the same issue. He tracked it down to being a Maschine + FF plugin issue. Hopefully FabFilter are on it and will fix the problem!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Vortifex wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:00 am I don't understand the purpose of the filter offset controls. They just seem to do exactly what the actual filter controls do. Why would I need them when I can just adjust the filter instead? Can someone give an example where I would use them?
Imagine having 4 different filters, all carefully placed to be just where you want them, all being modulated by separate mod sources doing their own thing.. then you just want a general "Main Cutoff" knob to move ALL the filters in one go. That's what it's for.

It's also a great "global" mod source target for modwheel/aftertouch/lfo etc. Same goes for the main resonance offset. Very handy.

(.. and I had to fight for those main cutoff/resonance knobs for a while to get them implemented. You are welcome.) :hihi:

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:53 am Some odd decisions
100% Agree. The 'per osc' filtering logic is a bit twisted. To be frank, I don't even know the exact logic of it.

This is how I wish it was working:

As long as number of nodes match the number of oscillators it should be self explanatory. Number should always match oscillator number (from top to bottom).

When you have less oscillators than filters, the number of filters should first match the oscillator numbers, then the left over filter should become "global" (aka in series) with the per-osc filter.

When you have less filters than oscillators, the oscillator without a filter should bypass the filtering completely.

I have no idea why the logic isn't like this. I did try to get them to do it like this though but I suspect there are some internal code things making it difficult and it could also potentially cause a bit of havoc when you delete filter nodes/oscillators. Basically the answer I got was: "It's complicated". :shrug:

Having problems with VST3 version of Twin 3 in Reaper. Does not arm the track when plugin is opened, track also not changed to midi input (is on audio input 1). No such problems with the VST2.

bmanic wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:28 pm .........
Here are some of my favorite presets, in case you are curious:

Arp/Barracuda (I've spent hours just jamming with this. Tweak MW, AT and the green assigned sliders)
Hi bmanic,
I am actually curious. What defined patches going into the Arp section, I realise some have motion and not arpeggiator on, but Barracuda has so little motion on my end and no arp, I was curious.
rsp
sound sculptist

Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:18 am
Double Tap wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:00 am
bmanic wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:15 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:01 pm Some presets seem really quiet or not making a sound for me.
Is it the ones in the Sidechain category?
I’ve never noticed synths that can be sidechained before. Does that just show me up to be very unobservant or is it quite rare?
fairly rare (unfortunately)

it's a great way to make things more organic / responsive
Did some searching and it looks like quite a few Logic synths allow it. Vocoders too, obviously, although I hadn’t made the connection.

My imagination is very much sparked.

Whilst I am happy for the new preset browser, I am finding favourite a pita with it.
I open the browser, select a patch and then have to go to the column to the right next to the patch name to favourite it, but lord forbid I accidentally inadvertently move up or down in the preset list, the rightmost column then shows that preset not the loaded one that I want to favourite.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:18 pm Whilst I am happy for the new preset browser, I am finding favourite a pita with it.
I open the browser, select a patch and then have to go to the column to the right next to the patch name to favourite it, but lord forbid I accidentally inadvertently move up or down in the preset list, the rightmost column then shows that preset not the loaded one that I want to favourite.
rsp
Agreed. This needs improvement.

You can right click on the patch name in the main window and get to the favorite button for the current patch a bit easier.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

zvenx wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:05 pm
bmanic wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:28 pm .........
Here are some of my favorite presets, in case you are curious:

Arp/Barracuda (I've spent hours just jamming with this. Tweak MW, AT and the green assigned sliders)
Hi bmanic,
I am actually curious. What defined patches going into the Arp section, I realise some have motion and not arpeggiator on, but Barracuda has so little motion on my end and no arp, I was curious.
rsp
+1. Some arp presets aren't 'arping' ;)

billcarroll wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:21 pm ....
You can right click on the patch name in the main window and get to the favorite button for the current patch a bit easier.
Oh I didn't know that..
Thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”