Do you hate the looks Windows 10/11 - WindowBlinds might be the solution, look like Mac or anything

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:45 am Windows runs on Intel and AMD, and there are reportedly versions ready to run on ARM processors. The difference is that MS NEVER breaks compatibility. They simply provide users ALTERNATIVES, and leave them the CHOICE
Windows only runs on AMD because AMD copied the x86_64 architecture. Not because Microsoft did anything to support it. Windows also ran on Cyrix for the same reason, back when that was a thing.

Windows most certainly did break compatibility with Windows 2000 and Vista. Almost no existing hardware worked with Windows 2000. And Vista drastically altered folder access and write permissions. Lots of audio software that saved presets and settings in Program Files, as was common at the time, stopped working. And then there was the UAC that hosed everything for a while.

Perhaps you conveniently forget that every odd version of Windows is garbage that is rejected by the public.

And as far as Microsoft and “choice” go, they only give you a choice after they’ve lost an anti-trust suit.

And your Intel Windows software won’t run on ARM-based Windows, unlike Intel Mac software on Apple Silicon ARM.

Also, don’t pretend that Microsoft hasn’t made all computers prior to 2017 obsolete by requiring TPM2.0 for Windows 11.

Meanwhile, you can still install the latest MacOS on a 2016 Mac.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Did I take a trip back 20 years? This sort of stuff is so yesterday. Its a fact now that all three modern operating systems are now very good. It just a matter of personal taste which one a person prefers. Personally, I use it just as it is, and have no need of window blinds or whatever and just get on with making music.

Anyway, this thread is about windows and how to enhance it and is in danger of being locked.

as we were saying, windows is better than mac, that is the point of this thread now :D

I agree that its a 20 year old argument but don't think it's worth a mod-flex

dellboy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:40 pmIt just a matter of personal taste which one a person prefers.
If you want to stick to windows or macos then it feels the choice is putting up with Windows telemetry, updates etc etc or MacOS breaking compatibility routinely. Personally I value being able to run old plugs (2000s....) on my win11 box without any hassle, just works etc.

jamcat wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:50 am And newsflash, hardware becomes obsolete all on its own. That’s known as Moore’s Law.
No, it absolutely isnt.

Moore's Law was the observation that the maximum number of transistors that could be etched onto an IC doubled roughly every two years. That's all.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

jamcat wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:05 pm Windows only runs on AMD because AMD copied the x86_64 architecture.
Actually, AMD invented the X86_64 architecture. Intel copied that.

Not because Microsoft did anything to support it.
Well, yes, Microsoft did do something to support it. They made a 64-bit version of Windows for the 64-bit processor architecture that AMD designed, despite Intel's Itanium.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

You're being pedantic again. x64 is an extension of x86, so AMD couldn't design it without first copying x86.

And you're talking about Moore's observation which lead to Moore's law. Moore's Law itself is commonly accepted to have much broader implications. But it's actually just a joke, not an actual rigorous law.

GaryG wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:38 pm Personally I value being able to run old plugs (2000s....)
Not if they're pre-Vista/UAC. But why does anyone act like running old software that was written for Pentiums and hasn't been maintained for 20 years is an asset?
Are you running critical enterprise software?

And speaking of which, this reminds me of when Microsoft ended support for XP but had to bring it back because the entire banking and professional world freaked out, since they were all still on XP because of compatibility issues with newer versions of Windows.

j wazza wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:28 pm as we were saying, windows is better than mac, that is the point of this thread now :D
I thought the point of the thread was about trying to make Windows look and behave like MacOS.

In the bad, old days, the Registry could get really bloated and slow down your machine, so I get why he wants to complain about it. But that's ancient history, nobody has had any problems with it for years.
jamcat wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:44 am It’s not a faulty drive. It’s that Windows is doing disk caching on the drive even though it shouldn’t be.
Then there has to be a problem with your computer because that is something I have NEVER experienced. Is it an OEM build or did you put it together yourself? You have two issues, both related to storage. That doesn't seem like a coincidence to me, it seems like something might be broken.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

You used to be able to disable virtual memory on Windoze, but they don't recommend it. With as much RAM as everyone uses these days it's not a big deal usually. I used to have it off on my last PC, I haven't bothered since.

I think that's a different thing. You're talking about paging files, he is talking about delayed writes to disk. I'm sure it was a hangover from the days of floppies, when reading/writing was glacially slow, but it shouldn't be a problem at all today. The more I think about it, the more certain I am that something is broken in his machine.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:59 pm Then there has to be a problem with your computer because that is something I have NEVER experienced. Is it an OEM build or did you put it together yourself? You have two issues, both related to storage. That doesn't seem like a coincidence to me, it seems like something might be broken.
Most likely there is a problem with one or more of my drivers. That's almost certainly the case with the Intel RST driver and SATA hot-swapping. The problem of course is there are so many iterations of these drivers, and some of them merely work poorly, while other don't work at all. There may not be a properly working driver for my particular combination of hardware and Windows build. I've installed the drivers from ASUS for my motherboard after reinstalling in the past, but they're pretty outdated at this point, and supposedly it's better to let Windows Update manage your drivers. So that's what I do.

It is of course totally possible with Windows that I may experience problems that someone else doesn't, because of the near infinite combination of hardware and drivers. I used to not experience these problems, but I think as Windows incrementally updates Windows 10, some drivers may no longer work correctly.

I can't even install Windows 11 on my PC, because Windows 11 breaks compatibility with non-TPM2.0 machines.

All of this flies in the face of Windows supposedly having such great backwards compatibility.

I'm pretty sure they ditched the TPM 2 thing. Win11 is a big step up from 10. The only aspect of it I don't really like is Start, which is why I bought Start11.

Did you have a look at the software I linked to yesterday? It's free and it can't hurt to try it.

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:56 am I'm pretty sure they ditched the TPM 2 thing.
Sort of. Microsoft has devised this Registry entry that will bypass the requirement when upgrading from a disc image:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup]
"AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU"=dword:00000001

I added this to the registry some time ago, but never went about downloading the Windows 11 ISO to install it. Doing so may break my computer, because of that fabled Windows compatibility. :lol:

I'll probably do it, because I'm just going to decommission my Windows DAW pretty soon anyways, and harvest the SSD drives to hotswap in my MacBook. My MacBook is faster anyways.

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:56 am Did you have a look at the software I linked to yesterday? It's free and it can't hurt to try it.
Thank you, you are a kind soul, BONES.

I did actually look at it, but I couldn't figure out where to download it.
It looks basically to be the same as HotSwap! which I used to use as an Easy Button for forcing a hardware rescan a long time ago, before hotswapping was well supported on Windows.

I don't really need it, I don't think. As I said, Windows just randomly stops detecting when a new drive is inserted. I think the RST service just stops responding. Because Windows.

But I can force a rescan in Disk Manager, or if I reboot, it should be good for a while again.

Windows needs frequent reboots anyways.

jamcat wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:18 pm
j wazza wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:28 pm as we were saying, windows is better than mac, that is the point of this thread now :D
I thought the point of the thread was about trying to make Windows look and behave like MacOS.
Did you? :o Read again... :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”