LOVE REAPER......

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My only real point or comparison would be Studio One and Reason and yeah, they both feel nicer working with MIDI. Sadly, this is one area of the DAW that the developer doesn't care much about, which is baffling if you think about it. I'm trying Cubase now, but not enough time spent with it to compare to the others.

Niowiad wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:45 pm That would be my mistake, saying it snaps to "visible" grid for midi.
It does for the main timeline, but not on the piano roll.

The grid in REAPER's piano roll visually adapts to zoom, but it's true that it still tries to snap at whatever subdivision you set the grid on when zoomed out.
So if you leave the grid at 1/64 or 1/128 and zoom it all out it's basically impossible to be precise.
I don't know why you would do that though. Sure it would be better if the snapping automatically followed.

I tend to use 1/16, 1/32 at max and even then I find it manageable to snap to the subdivision I need unless I'm zooming so far out that notes become hard to even see and click on.
Whenever I need higher subdivisions I quickly adjust that with the mouse wheel in a split second.
Hardly a deal breaker for me, but I understand if someone finds it inconvenient.
I can live with unnecessary extra tracks (no intuitive parallel fx processing in the same track).

Snap to visible grid is only a single thing which makes me not feel at home in Reaper. We can do this in arrange view, but not in piano roll. This is very unnatural.

Danilo Villanova wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:39 pm Sadly, this is one area of the DAW that the developer doesn't care much about, which is baffling if you think about it.
If they do, this DAW will become a production beast too.

a9k1tp wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:04 am 1 Big problem (No workaround) - Midi programming is the worst experience in Reaper. It is the only reason I don't use Reaper for making beats. And there is no fix, no script. Notes do not snap to visible grid. A "Grid snap settings follow grid visibility" setting for the MIDI editor is a natural behaviour which should be present in any DAW.
a9k1tp wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:58 pm Snap to visible grid is only a single thing which makes me not feel at home in Reaper. We can do this in arrange view, but not in piano roll. This is very unnatural.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=260388

You have assign the actions to key commands in the action menu for the midi editor. Once you find the actions that work for you in the MIDI editor…. It’s the best midi editor ever IME.

Yay Reaper!

I like these Reaper threads.
The last shelter for faithful disciples of cult pontiffs.

martinjuenke wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:55 pm I like these Reaper threads.
have you tried Reaper on Mac?
or Bitwig on Linux?

there are so many possibilities! :P
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:59 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:55 pm I like these Reaper threads.
have you tried Reaper on Mac?
or Bitwig on Linux?

there are so many possibilities! :P
As many as Logic on Windows? :D

THERE'S NO LOGIC TO WINDOWS!!!

(though i wouldn't be too surprised if 5.x still ran on current machines 🤓)
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Windows - no Logic - confirmed.
Reasonable. Although not on Linux
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

a9k1tp wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:58 pm Snap to visible grid is only a single thing which makes me not feel at home in Reaper. We can do this in arrange view, but not in piano roll. This is very unnatural.
I'm intrigued now as to what I'm not understanding as the adaptive grid is specifically for the piano roll/midi editor...

Is this not what you mean? :

Run the adaptive grid action and choose anything but fixed:
Screenshot_20230212_201419.png

Add some notes at 1/16 grid (just for ref):
Screenshot_20230212_202044.png

Zoom into 1/256 and add some more notes (they're snapping to the grid)
Screenshot_20230212_202431.png

Zoom back out and you can see them in between the 1/32 grid lines, if you move them they now snap to those lines...
Screenshot_20230212_203635.png

Not what you're after?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GaryG wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:40 pm
I'm intrigued now as to what I'm not understanding as the adaptive grid is specifically for the piano roll/midi editor...

Is this not what you mean? :

Run the adaptive grid action and choose anything but fixed:
Screenshot_20230212_201419.png

Add some notes at 1/16 grid (just for ref):
Screenshot_20230212_202044.png

Zoom into 1/256 and add some more notes (they're snapping to the grid)
Screenshot_20230212_202431.png

Zoom back out and you can see them in between the 1/32 grid lines, if you move them they now snap to those lines...
Screenshot_20230212_203635.png

Not what you're after?
Yes, exactly this. If this is a native action, then why this script https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=260388 even exists? :dog:

This software has somehow managed to provide the worst default settings possible. Thanks for the help, I will check it out.

Reaper is like building your own house, if you know how, it is perfect, otherwise could be a nightmare.
artie fichelle sounds natural

Artie Fichelle wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:45 pm Reaper is like building your own house, if you know how, it is perfect, otherwise could be a nightmare.
Yeah, lotsa the default settings don't work for me. I changed so much over the years. And now it it the DAW that does so many things my way. Very satisfying. (Just have to make sure to keep a backup of my configs) :lol:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”