Evo Mandolin string select issue

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I am writing a piece that requires the high E 1st string to ring open while the other notes are fretted on the 2nd string. I keep getting hammer-ons/pull-offs instead of the 2 strings being played and ringing out with each other, even when I explicitly specify the string each note is to be played on. You can see my MIDI here:
String 1and2 test.png
I have setup keys C0-D#0 to specify the strings like this:
Mando setup.png
I have also attached the MIDI file (I could not upload a *.mid file so I had to zip it). I am expecting each note to be clearly picked with no hammer-ons/pull-offs. Can you tell what I'm doing wrong? Do you have a work-around (other than to put the open E notes on their own track, which would work but it inconvenient)? Thank you, Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The way the legato detection works currently, any overlapping notes within the current legato range will get played as legato. It's more predictable to work with that way, whether playing the instrument from a MIDI keyboard or sequencing in the piano roll. That way the user can just play the instrument without worrying about which notes are being played on which strings.

I should probably add an option to enable/disable cross string legato, because that's fundamentally what you're running into.

Until then, there are a few routes you could take:

- Automate the legato range control to a MIDI CC so that you can disable the legato when needed.

- Set Evolution Mandolin's MIDI input to "omni" and then put the notes on different MIDI channels. All the notes will still get play through the single instanct of Evolution Mandolin, but each channel has its own legato "voice" if that makes sense. As a side-note, pitch bends are also independent between MIDI channels.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

OK, thanks for your help. Disabling cross-string legato sounds like a great idea to me because that more accurately reflects the way stringed instruments like these are played. Keyboard players may not care, but us guitar players do (well, I do).

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”