MuLib : MuLab & MUX Modular Community Library

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks, I'm happy to hear that you like it!

I would like to share some M9 Mux presets I put together during some recent experiments with polyrhythms and scales:
StepSeq - Drums
StepSeq_Drums.png
An 8 pad drum machine that includes 8 sequencers with the option to vary the number of steps per drum. The "built in" MuDrum can be bypassed to enable normal rack workflow.
StepSeq - Drums.zip

StepSeq - Scales
StepSeq_Scales.png
A Mux preset that includes 8 sequencers with the option to vary the number of steps per lane. In addition the notes can be "forced" to the selected scale. The "built in" instrument can be bypassed to enable normal rack workflow.
StepSeq - Scales.zip

StepSeq - MuDrum
StepSeq_MuDrum.png
A 12 lane version of the StepSeq drum machine that gives access to all of MuDrum's pads.
StepSeq - MuDrum.zip

StepSeq - Max
StepSeq_Max.png
A Mux preset that includes 8 sequencers with 32 steps per lane and everything I could throw at it while still fitting on the screen of a 13" MacBook.
StepSeq - Max.zip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Here are some additional M9 Mux presets I put together to map notes to scales:

Scaler - Force / Scaler - Block /Scaler - Simplify
Scaler_Force_Large.png
Scaler_Block_Simplify.png
A set of 3 Mux presets that map incoming notes to a selected scale using 3 methods:
Force - Maps all out of scale notes to the nearest scale note + ensuring that the entire scale can be played on white keys. This option may include duplicate notes.
Block - All out of scale notes are blocked.
Simplify - All out of scale notes are blocked and the scale is mapped to consecutive white keys.
Scaler - Force.zip
Scaler - Block.zip
Scaler - Simplify.zip

ForceToKey - GUI
ForceToKey_GUI_Large.png
An experimental Mux interface for the Piz MIDI plugin: midiForceToKey.
The Piz MIDI plugins are available via archive.org
ForceToKey - GUI.zip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These seems to be quite useful, thanks. BTW. I also use PizMidi plugins and your ForceToKey interface is a really good idea.

Thanks. Here is an FXB of the scales I used in the Scaler MUX presets that you can use with the Piz MIDI ForceToKey VST. Unfortunately the values from an existing FXB do not transfer to my new interface. (I could not figure out a way for a change in parameter value (on/off) to be shown in the switch indicator and that's why I called it an experimental interface.)
C Scales.zip

BTW, I don't post very often in the MuTools forum but I do browse it almost daily and I feel guilty for not acknowledging all the contributions and uploads from the community that keep this forum so informative. So I will take this opportunity to offer a belated thank you to you and everyone else on this forum for their contributions over the years.

Thanks for sharing these nice presets Calum :tu:

I'm curious about something: In the first drum step seq preset, why did you decide to add a double step sequencer lane per sound? I.e. why both the lane with the velocity knob as well as the lane with the transpose value, and not only a single lane with the velocity knob? Then all 8 sounds (even all 12) would fit a reasonably sized editor, no?
Just wondering.

Thanks, I'm pleased you like them.

I think I just wanted to have the most useful controls available on the top level without having to use the edit buttons. My decision also had something to do with how the elements were coloured up - I think the velocity knobs came out too dark with a single step sequencer. I do know what you mean but I would be a bit worried about accidentally changing velocity when adding or deleting beats in a hurry. I also thought it would be useful to include the transpose value to add a drum from another lane when exploring polyrhythms but so far I have not used that feature.

Calum wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:11 am My decision also had something to do with how the elements were coloured up - I think the velocity knobs came out too dark with a single step sequencer.
You can choose that color via "Main Fore Color".
Didn't that solve it?
I do know what you mean but I would be a bit worried about accidentally changing velocity when adding or deleting beats in a hurry.
I understand.

mutools wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:53 pm I'm curious about something: In the first drum step seq preset, why did you decide to add a double step sequencer lane per sound? I.e. why both the lane with the velocity knob as well as the lane with the transpose value, and not only a single lane with the velocity knob?
I liked your suggestion so I put this together as an alternative to the 2 drum sequencers I uploaded earlier (but with velocity sliders rather than knobs):
StepSeq - Drummer
StepSeq_Drummer.png

StepSeq - Drummer.zip

Thanks for sharing the alternative version Calum!

To complete this set of Mux presets, I have added 2 “bare bones” 32-step sequencers with 8/12 lanes and 2 slightly more compact (but also slightly less convenient) versions that use note modifiers to change each track’s default note. I initially thought these presets were too basic to share but I am actually finding them very useful on a smaller screen and when used as part of a modular setup:
StepSeq - 8track / StepSeq - 8trackS
StepSeq_8track_small.png

StepSeq - 8track.zip
StepSeq - 8trackS.zip

StepSeq - 12track / StepSeq - 12trackS
StepSeq_12track_small.png

StepSeq - 12track.zip
StepSeq - 12trackS.zip

Here are a couple of experimental examples demonstrating the setup and use of these presets in MuLab. In both examples the sequencer is triggered by a C note, but interesting and unexpected results can be achieved by changing the input note, adjusting the number of steps in one or more lanes and by making adjustments to the Tempo Factor.
https://youtu.be/y3wxlkpzkFU
In this example, mapping each step sequencer lane to a different midi channel allows the StepSeq to feed multiple instruments using a Midi Channel Splitter in the Modular Area.
https://youtu.be/e5hNGrVt2mQ

Thanks for sharing! Your video examples show how useful these presets can be, well done!

Very nice :phones: Thanks for sharing Calum :tu:

Thank you both. I have enjoyed putting these together and learned something new in the process.

Id like to share some simple but useful Muxs. Please feel free to add them to the library.

A streamlined channel strip with preamp saturation and
A sample/short delay
MCS.JPG
Mulab Channel strip SM.zip

Yes another 3 Osc synth with a familiar layout. I hope to do a bank of bread and butter sounds to go with it.
3 osc synth.JPG
3 Osc synth.zip
Here is a 3 osc wavetable synth. Stripped down and simple. Click on the W at the bottom left of the Osc to access wavetable function
3 osc wt synth.JPG
3 osc wt synth.zip
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Return to “MUTOOLS”