[Now V2.66] Blue Cat's PatchWork Multi FX & Host Updated! (V2.65)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PatchWork

MattLeschuck wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:54 pm So you are saying we can load patchwork within patchwork?! How did i miss this :). That is one of my favorite features with Snap Heap and Multipass from KHS.
Yes you can! It is available as a built-in plug-in in the "Utility" category. :-)

So as I understand it's already bundled with BC plugins? Are there a certain amount of plugins?

It has indeed a couple of built-in plug-ins:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/tip-o ... -plug-ins/

Great update. I think the only thing left to add would be modulation options.

SeeingInMidi wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:09 pm Great update. I think the only thing left to add would be modulation options.
Thanks! The todo list is actually still pretty long! :lol:

I'm curious what it is ! (The todo list I mean)

I bought this plugin years ago to circumvent the need to update ProTools HD.

It's the gift that keep on giving. One of the best plugins I've ever bought.

Trash2 doesn't load ? It only opens a little box saying 'no controls available'....
More BPM please

The better Patchwork becomes, the more I use it. It's more than a channel strip IMO. It's like a portable FX Chain preset machine!

But please allow me to lobby for some of my own wishlist items for Patchwork:

1. Please switch to shared resources among plugin versions. I really hate non-plugin files placed in my plugin folders. The skins and other support files should go in ProgramData or Documents on Windows. Not in the plugin folder.

2. Unified installer on Windows please. It's just tedious downloading standalone, VST2, VST3, and installing all 3 versus just doing once.

Now that the boring stuff is out of the way...

3. Bipolar macro knobs as discussed earlier.

4. Ability to set a default value for Macro knobs.

5. Clicking on the plugin name should toggle the GUI. Like in every DAW! This then facilitates the next change...

6. ...Right clicking should open the menu. Or make that little "GUI" icon to the right of the slot number a hamburger icon to open the menu. Clicking the plugin name should open the plugin, clicking the menu looking thing should open the menu. I have never gotten used to left clicking the name opening a menu and not toggling the plugin GUI.

7. Add a "Focus Mode" for plugin windows. When "Focus mode" is on, only window stays open at a time.

8. Most important, best for last: please let us save our most used plugins to the menu. Sometimes I'm scouring my drive looking for the .vst3 file or .dll for the plugin I want. Why not let us save these right next to the included BlueCat plugins? At least our favorites. Maybe just a simple "Add to Favorites" menu item, then a new Favorites menu next to the BlueCat plugins. Just something to speed up workflow and smooth things out. Or a plugin browser just like the preset browser.

That stuff would just improve the user experience for me immensely. And it's already a great plugin. These requests would just really take it to a more polished level for me.

dionenoid wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:08 pm Trash2 doesn't load ? It only opens a little box saying 'no controls available'....
The VST3 version is indeed known to have problems. We have contacted them years ago but never heard back. AU and VST should load fine though.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:24 am The better Patchwork becomes, the more I use it. It's more than a channel strip IMO. It's like a portable FX Chain preset machine!
Thanks! Glad that you find it useful for more than "just" loading plug-ins: that's exactly what it was designed for!
But please allow me to lobby for some of my own wishlist items for Patchwork:
Thanks! most of these are already in the todo list. Regarding left vs right click, it's a tough topic (such changes completely change the workflow, and when you are using touch screens, left click is definitely preferred). Also, all DAWs are not the same: some will require a double click, some a single click... BTW in PatchWork clicking on the window icon at the top right should do the job :-).
8. Most important, best for last: please let us save our most used plugins to the menu. Sometimes I'm scouring my drive looking for the .vst3 file or .dll for the plugin I want. Why not let us save these right next to the included BlueCat plugins? At least our favorites. Maybe just a simple "Add to Favorites" menu item, then a new Favorites menu next to the BlueCat plugins. Just something to speed up workflow and smooth things out. Or a plugin browser just like the preset browser.
That's exactly what the "Save As..." menu item has been created for (back in 2017... :-) )! It is explained in details here:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/tip-o ... from-menu/

You know, I thought I recalled that being there but couldn't find it then convinced myself it wasn't there. Goes to show I need to RTFM. Thanks!

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:05 am Thanks! most of these are already in the todo list. Regarding left vs right click, it's a tough topic (such changes completely change the workflow, and when you are using touch screens, left click is definitely preferred). Also, all DAWs are not the same: some will require a double click, some a single click... BTW in PatchWork clicking on the window icon at the top right should do the job :-).
I've been using Patchwork a lot all weekend and STILL just cannot adjust to the current state. Clicking the name should open the plugin window. Not the menu. Clicking the "window icon in the top right" can be the menu. It almost even looks like a menu. Or change the icon to a "hamburger" icon. Please! Pretty please! :hail:

Look at the below and imagine please: 1) left-clicking the name opened the GUI (not a menu), 2) right-clicking the name opened the menu (right click for menus is common UI behavior just about everywhere), or 3) left-clicking the new menu icon I mocked up also opened the menu which is touch-screen friendly.

...wouldn't that just feel "right"? :hug:

And if the slot is empty, sure, open the menu! Someone probably wants to load a plugin. But if you saw how many times this weekend I clicked the plugin name and opened the menu by accident, then repeated the same error 3 times in quick succession, you'd realize 1) I'm horrible at adjusting to things, 2) this isn't the expected UI behavior. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

^^I technically agree with you as far as that being the better option, but after using it more regularly recently, I have gotten use to the way it is now no problem. Maybe give it a little more time?!

Question for BC, have you considered adding an option to disable a loaded plugin? it would be nice to be able to do so, and not just bypass. Similar to how Waves Studiorack does it.

MattLeschuck wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:36 am Question for BC, have you considered adding an option to disable a loaded plugin? it would be nice to be able to do so, and not just bypass. Similar to how Waves Studiorack does it.
Yes this is in the mysterious todo list too :-).

Return to “Effects”