AMS RMX-16 Impulse Responses?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Check out Acustica Silver Volume F
Last edited by seangm on Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoping to see a UADx port.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I realise the inhalt is on sale atm. As I’ve never owned either of these hardware could someone clarify if the inhalt ams rmx16 impulse responses are a more accurate representation of the hardware than Relab LX480 Essentials of its hardware counterpart?

I know it’s a silly comparison because they are 2 different things but still. I own the relab essentials and would like to know if I get closer to the hardware sound with the inhalt. I’ve read that it has captured the ad da conversion sound which was an important part of these effects. I’m not sure if relab has done that or if their LX480 is as close to the hardware as inhalt impulses to its hardware. I know they claim that relab is identical but…

Sometimes I wish people specified what kind of music they make when discussing instruments and effects on forums. I’ve read many times how amazing the lexicon sound is. And maybe they were only talking about vocals or orchestral. At least relab doesn’t work for me on synths but it must be just me.

Is the AMS RMX any good on synths? There are barely any demos..

The Lexicon 480 was THE 1980's studio reverb. It was used on lots of synths. Absolutely huge productions. I get it that you may not like it, that's perfectly valid, but I think you may be blaming the tool.

I think you need to flip the question around: what kind of reverb sounds do YOU like, and what are you looking for in a reverb? Big, colourful reverbs with long modulated tails? Clean, realistic rooms? Cold, digital verbs (thinking Alesis, Warp records)? What?

You'll find that oftentimes, different verbs were used for different tasks. The AMS RMX16 is most well known for it's NonLin mode, which provided gated reverb style drum sounds without the need for a gate. That might've gone on acoustic drums, then a Lexicon 480 or something similar for other instruments, etc. As time went on, studios had more reverb options. And today, the world is your oyster. You could use an RMX16, a 480, a 224, a Plate 140, a Motown chamber all mixed and matched on the same mix if you wanted!

Yeah I’m definitely into Warp records as the biggest ever Aphex fun but not looking to replicate the same sound. I know he has used 480 on Syro. It’s definitely me not the tool. Sometimes you just don’t click with some things for whatever reason.

I guess I’m just trying to figure out if it’s worth throwing out extra cash on the inhalt if I got relab (apart from supporting the developer). I wish there were more synth demos with rmx16 online. The one with Alex Ball is convincing but relab essentials probably covers that ground and more?

You just kind of have to figure out what you like through trial and error, while also figuring out how to get the most out of the tools you already have. Like, you can get in the ballpark of the RMX 16 thing with ValhallaVintageVerb, which has a NonLin mode and can also cover classic Lexicon and early Eventide digital verbs (the 250). I love VVV on synths too because it's thick and rich, but some people hear that as "muddy" too (note: you can and should be willing to EQ reverbs on sends to further shape the sound).

Yeah I get what you are saying. I’ve also been eyeing with Goodhertz Megaverb (instead of the inhalt impulses) as it is more flexible but I’m not sure about the sound. I will have to just decide and move on some point.

audiouser720 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:24 pm I guess I’m just trying to figure out if it’s worth throwing out extra cash on the inhalt if I got relab (apart from supporting the developer).
I have the UAD AMS RMX, 224, 480L, and the INHALT IR pack.

INHALT did a great job and the pack is very useful for vocals, synths, guitars, drums, basses, atmospheres, ambiences, effects. In my opinion, the RMX is one of the most musically creative reverbs ever. I get very different results from the RMX than the 224, 480L so I don’t really experience much overlap. If you don’t have access to the UAD RMX, it’s worth it. I still use the IRs even though I have the UAD RMX. It’s like having two slightly different machines. Sometimes the IRs sound a little closer to what i want than the plugin; sometimes the other way around.

audiouser720 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:24 pm Yeah I’m definitely into Warp records as the biggest ever Aphex fun but not looking to replicate the same sound. I know he has used 480 on Syro. It’s definitely me not the tool. Sometimes you just don’t click with some things for whatever reason.

I guess I’m just trying to figure out if it’s worth throwing out extra cash on the inhalt if I got relab (apart from supporting the developer). I wish there were more synth demos with rmx16 online. The one with Alex Ball is convincing but relab essentials probably covers that ground and more?
if you are into warp ,please check out UBERVERB :)
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

INHALT wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:44 pm As a mix engineer and producer that has mixed with a real AMS RMX 16 between many different large recording studios, to my ears, while it sounded good, it was missing something for me. I love UA as a company and I think they make some great stuff but i didn’t hear what I needed to hear for an accurate replacement.

I wouldn’t have gone and spent all this time on this library if I didn’t feel that there was a need for it. Further, culturally speaking, this library is also about preserving the cultural importance of this particular reverb: this is from Townhouse Studios and this very unit was responsible for the reverbs on many, many, important records.
Thank You 🙏
Can I please ask, how did you get your hands on this historic unit? TIA - I'm amazed and thankful and appreciative of the cultural significance of this exact unit and of the herculean extent of your efforts to sample it!

May I point the afficionados to this little gem:
https://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/product/glow/
:tu:

Return to “Effects”