Connecting TS plug into a Left/Mono Output.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, my Minifreak has two TRS 1/4" balanced output Left an Right. My interface is the Scarlett Solo and has only one 1/4" TRS Input (balanced for Line level and Unbalanced for Instruments). Currently I only have a TS-TS cable to connect Minifreak TRS Left/Mono Output to the TRS Scarlett Solo Input. I wonder if it would be better to use a TRS-TRS cable. Thanks.

olimpo wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:44 am I wonder if it would be better to use a TRS-TRS cable. Thanks.
The difference is balanced vs unbalanced.

When is balanced better?
* Low voltages (millivolts)
* Long cables ( > 6m)
* Environments with lots of RF pollution

Your synth outputs a medium voltage (1V) so if you use a short cable and you're not in RF Hell (inside the computer case for instance) then likely you won't hear a difference at all.

Otoh if you currently hear humm, buzzing or whining, then switching to a balanced cable might be just the cure you need.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

ok ok many thanks, very useful

Hello, in case you want to join the balanced TRS Left and Right Outputs of a synthesizer to an Insert TRS Plug to be connected to the only TRS input of Scarlett Solo, could this TRS Insert plug be designed?
Left Out Tip to Insert plug Tip - Right Out Tip to Insert plug Ring (overriding Left and Right Rings Outs ) and finally connecting Ground. It would be unbalanced but that way Insert plug Tip (Left Out Tip) would go to one monitor and Insert plug Ring (Right Out Tip) would go to the other monitor.

What you describe as "insert" (I have some of these cables) is how eg headphones are wired for stereo.

But nope. If you do ths, you get the difference between left & right, also called "side channel".

A normal audio interface wants one cable for left and one cable for right. But the Scarlett Solo is only mono.

BertKoor wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:11 am But nope. If you do ths, you get the difference between left & right, also called "side channel".
that is because of the phase invertion?

BertKoor wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:11 am A normal audio interface wants one cable for left and one cable for right. But the Scarlett Solo is only mono.
Then the Scarlett Solo INPUT is MONO Balanced and never STEREO Unbalanced?

olimpo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:14 am
BertKoor wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:11 am But nope. If you do ths, you get the difference between left & right, also called "side channel".
that is because of the phase invertion?
Hmm, nothing gets inverted, but how can I explain... Suppose that both channels play the same thing. So the voltage on both L&R conductors is the same. The input it is connected to measures the voltage difference between tip & ring. That will be zero if both channels carry the same audio.
olimpo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:17 am
BertKoor wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:11 am A normal audio interface wants one cable for left and one cable for right. But the Scarlett Solo is only mono.
Then the Scarlett Solo INPUT is MONO Balanced and never STEREO Unbalanced?
Do you have an owners manual? ;-)

hello, yes but it is not so specific, so I asked tech support. But I don't think it is stereo unbalanced.

Input 2 is the Input in this case.

I don't think I understand all of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by olimpo on Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

If that input was somehow possible to use stereo, it would be clearly stated so, would you think not,?

very clever indeed

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”