Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

oneway wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:44 pm I left Studio One due to them not supporting a lot of hardware older than 2 years and recently had to reinstall v3 on an old computer to grab some patches from an archived project that didn’t load properly in new versions.

It’s not that old a product and it couldn’t activate properly with their server.

Their products are great but I’m seeing a pattern here. Filing this one under “they’re unreliable.”
I’ve been using Studio One since v1, and have been able to load songs without issue in each subsequent version (up through v5, which I’m still on for now.)

Perhaps it’s because each song was opened and saved in the next version, incrementally. Did you try opening the v3 song in v4 and saving it, before opening in v5, etc?

Also, what do you mean about them “not supporting a lot of hardware older than 2 years?” Is this PreSonus not updating drivers for their own products, or is Studio One somehow not supporting older hardware?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:06 pm I’ve been using Studio One since v1, and have been able to load songs without issue in each subsequent version (up through v5, which I’m still on for now.)
You can open them but many features don’t translate properly. Which is fine, whatever, it’s just there’s a pattern here.
Also, what do you mean about them “not supporting a lot of hardware older than 2 years?” Is this PreSonus not updating drivers for their own products, or is Studio One somehow not supporting older hardware?
To be clear, I’m talking about the Studio One team’s platform support- the approach to PreSonus hardware and its drivers is overall pretty good.

I still don't really understand what you're on about. I've never had even the tiniest problem with any of the hardware I've used with Studio One and some of that dates back to last Century.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Yeah, I still don’t get it either. Hardware is supported by its own drivers. If you have working drivers from the manufacturer, then it should work in Studio One or any other DAW. It’s not the DAW developer’s job to keep that up to date.

Perhaps oneway is talking about hardware profiles in the External Devices page? But these are easy to create yourself. You just select your detected hardware to send to or receive from, and you’re done. (Though honestly, I’ve never really understood why this step is necessary to communicate with a device that Studio One already sees. It seems like an unnecessary middleman.)

It's so you can assign MIDI channels and inputs/outputs if you need to. Sometimes I can have 3 or 4 controllers attached at a time, so you need to make sure nothing is blocking anything else.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Eric at JRR Audio has Studio One 6 on a -30% sale.
https://www.jrrshop.com/presonus?dir=de ... _from_date
Other years the pro version update was discounted to -50%. Correct?

This is an unadvertised PreSonus sale. You can also buy direct from PreSonus for 30% off right now, including upgrades (finally!)

I may be leaving Studio One 5 soon. :hihi:

Kalamata Kid wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:15 am Eric at JRR Audio has Studio One 6 on a -30% sale.
Thanks for this.

I've just spent like 20 minutes on the presonus website trying to find how can I purchase upgrade to v6. Waste of time. No price. No upgrade button. Nothing. Even on my.presonus.com.
I mean... how hard it is? Or they just want to sell sphere subscriptions now?

Yeah, they make it :x hard for some reason.

4th one down:
Studio One 6 Professional Upgrade from Professional or Producer - all versions
$104.97
$149.95

https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One

tuzemec wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:43 am
Kalamata Kid wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:15 am Eric at JRR Audio has Studio One 6 on a -30% sale.
Thanks for this.

I've just spent like 20 minutes on the presonus website trying to find how can I purchase upgrade to v6. Waste of time. No price. No upgrade button. Nothing. Even on my.presonus.com.
I mean... how hard it is? Or they just want to sell sphere subscriptions now?
I had the same issue at Presonus site.
If you want my money make it easy for me to buy.
But still wonder to wait for the 50% off sale.

I’d rather save $45 now than wait another year or two in hopes of saving an extra $10.

The -50% actually offers around $30 additional savings, but I know what you mean.
To wait or not to wait, that is the question.

I don't think Presonus will be doing anymore 50% sales for upgrades, seems like the last one was 2 years ago ?

Right, that's actually what I meant. PreSonus did a 40% off sale a couple versions ago, and has only done 30% off at most since. The 40% off brought Studio One down to $95 (which is $10 less than the current price.) But I wouldn't gamble on getting even that price in the future. Just get it now while you can save $45 and start using it, which is really the whole point of buying it, isn't it? Bird in hand, and all that.

If you wait a day or two, you can buy old donuts for a dollar. But they'll be stale and you're hungry now.

By the way, the sale is through the end of the month.

Thanks for the info above.
I was unsure about the -50%.
Looks like I will be buying even though V6 did not excite me much.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”