Neural Amp Modeler NAM amp capture/profile player FREE *December 14, 2023 update 0.7.7

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

metalifuxx wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:53 pmSteven Wilson of Porcupine Tree said he used a free cheap quality crappy ampsim for a track on the latest Porcupine Tree album. Fans do know he experiments and uses a variety of guitar amps/processors/plugins in the studio, but no one would know that fact if he didnt say.
I’m way down with that. Technology can be great. It can suck too, or you can just dislike it. I’ve always hated Line6 stuff, but I figured I’d try one of their amps. I saw that Trent Reznor was using it. I could not get a good sound out of that thing to save my life. It went right back. I had awesome results with a Vox Tonelab unit. For years I gigged with a Digitech 2120 and two Peavey KB60s. I guess my point is, you should never judge something by the type of technology it is. I think that taking capture tech from Kemper and putting it out into the world is a good thing. I hope I can find some cool, weird and exotic stuff, instead of the usual JCM800, and 5150s. Not that they’re not great too, but I’m hoping for some quirky stuff.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

melvee wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:26 pmno, cabs don't have dynamic information to them…
Not on their own, they don’t, but when they become part of a system that involves a tube power amp stage, they absolutely become a dynamic pair. People read impedance as some sort of static value, but it could not be further from that. It’s why a load box isn’t just a resistor, if it’s good. It’s got to mimic the changing impedance of an actual speaker load.

I’m not saying you can’t get a good sound without that kind of amp/load interaction. I’ve loved plenty of transistor amps which don’t have that effect at all, but if you’re truly going to mimic a tube amp, it needs that.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

jamcat wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:47 pm
melvee wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:28 pm
jamcat wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:58 pm
I know from experience that IRs sound filtered and veiled compared to a recording of a real cab. So I think there is more going on with a real speaker than simply acting as a linear filter.

here's 2 blind comparisons of cab vs IR for you, let me know which is which
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jb7r2srtune9 ... 6bD4a?dl=0
Sure. TEST Y is the real cab. TEST N is the IR.
2101 D and 2101 G are the same recording.
ok, could you do one more before the reveal? accientally selected wrong files
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jb7r2srtune9 ... 6bD4a?dl=0
TEST3 O vs TEST3 D

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:41 am
metalifuxx wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:53 pmSteven Wilson of Porcupine Tree said he used a free cheap quality crappy ampsim for a track on the latest Porcupine Tree album. Fans do know he experiments and uses a variety of guitar amps/processors/plugins in the studio, but no one would know that fact if he didnt say.
I’m way down with that. Technology can be great. It can suck too, or you can just dislike it. I’ve always hated Line6 stuff, but I figured I’d try one of their amps. I saw that Trent Reznor was using it. I could not get a good sound out of that thing to save my life. It went right back. I had awesome results with a Vox Tonelab unit. For years I gigged with a Digitech 2120 and two Peavey KB60s. I guess my point is, you should never judge something by the type of technology it is. I think that taking capture tech from Kemper and putting it out into the world is a good thing. I hope I can find some cool, weird and exotic stuff, instead of the usual JCM800, and 5150s. Not that they’re not great too, but I’m hoping for some quirky stuff.
There are a few people messing around with some experimental stuff too with the capture and training. Someone sent some sort of synth like sample/signal through, and it resulted in this sort of analog octave up ring mod sound that gets cantankerous and atonal noise the higher the input gain is turned up. Another user was trying a blend of a Mesa and 5150 amp in the reamp wav (manually edited/inserted)…the result had some weirdness in the transient responses, and he said if he was more careful with the zero crossing points it may be better. So the possibility with weird experimental tones other than normal amplifier/pedals sounds is entirely possible too.

And yes, there are users offering more less common unusual amps now. There’s profiles for an 80’s WEM combo, some solid state stuff like a Peavey Decade with corresponding IRs made, power amps being profiled. Probably some more unusual stuff I’m forgetting. But like i said, the vast majority of profiles shared are on group FB posts with google drive/dropbox links, and also Facebooks file attachment archive/share system. It’s been getting hard to keep with 3,000+ members/users now.

I'm getting a weird CPU bug in Reaper. Sometimes the plugin (with a loaded model) uses 5-6% CPU, which is fine. But sometimes it goes up to 17% and the audio engine fails miserably.

Can't predict when it will do that :(

I have Tonex but I'm feeling a bit more juiciness playing NAM., plus I prefer the uncrowded interface.

Danilo Villanova wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:15 pm I'm getting a weird CPU bug in Reaper. Sometimes the plugin (with a loaded model) uses 5-6% CPU, which is fine. But sometimes it goes up to 17% and the audio engine fails miserably.

I have Tonex but I'm feeling a bit more juiciness playing NAM., plus I prefer the uncrowded interface.
Are you running Reaper at 48khz? I think I read that this is 48khz only. Maybe it bugs out if there's a SR mismatch? Just speculating.

Hi everyone, could someone link me to a thread, forum, or site where I can find some free captures made with NAM?
I would like to try this plugin but at the moment I don't have an amp to capture and I'm struggling to find captures to test the plugin.

Thank you very much

lemerbi wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:30 pm Hi everyone, could someone link me to a thread, forum, or site where I can find some free captures made with NAM?
I would like to try this plugin but at the moment I don't have an amp to capture and I'm struggling to find captures to test the plugin.

Thank you very much
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MFl2TG ... CnPVx/view

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:47 pm
Danilo Villanova wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:15 pm I'm getting a weird CPU bug in Reaper. Sometimes the plugin (with a loaded model) uses 5-6% CPU, which is fine. But sometimes it goes up to 17% and the audio engine fails miserably.

Are you running Reaper at 48khz? I think I read that this is 48khz only. Maybe it bugs out if there's a SR mismatch? Just speculating.
Yes, 48k. I suspect it might be my Audient EVO interface. The ASIO driver is a bit glitchy sometimes.

Danilo Villanova wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:14 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:47 pm

Yes, 48k. I suspect it might be my Audient EVO interface. The ASIO driver is a bit glitchy sometimes.
I encountered the same weird/unpredicatble behaviour, also at 48 kHz with a PreSonus Studio 1824c interface, on a Mac mini M1.

also getting some weird sound today, sounds like wobbling or odd timestretching bugs

sguyader wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:23 pm I encountered the same weird/unpredicatble behaviour, also at 48 kHz with a PreSonus Studio 1824c interface, on a Mac mini M1.
Oh ok, it must be a bug then. Hopefully members of the FB group could inform the developer? :hyper:

EDIT: I just posted on the group, it has to be approved by an admin. Hopefully the dev will see it.

I think my experience with a lot of bad profiles could be a bug. Chatter on FaceBook is pointing towards some people having a similar experience, loud, super boomy and weird sounding captures that other people are describing as sounding totally different.
Zerocrossing Media

Unfortunately my subscription to the FB group was automatically refused. No idea why. :?

I have to say, NAM is a total and complete shitshow. Everything about the plugin, the profile repository, and the community itself is a barrier to entry. Why do you have to download from GitHub and compile it, exactly? This is what happens when programmers run things without any input from normal people.

Honestly, f**k these people. When you buy TONEX you’re purchasing convenience, accessibility, and a polished product, which is well worth the price.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Effects”