When was the last time you played a song all the way through?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just had the stitches removed after a “head operation” so after work I can once again wear my necessary headphones, practice bass and play a song all the way through.

Fired up!
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Since starting this thread I've been knocking out about 5 tunes a day from what I remember. That's odd to me because. Usually I'll only remember the bits I like or noodled with on the last outing which can go back decades. I'm pretty sure I haven't covered Beast of burden since y2k but not only did I remember all the guitar parts I remembered the lyrics as well.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Good Question! I play thru whole songs alot more now that Im in a band, and am singing as well as playing guitar. I have to sing something 20 times or so before I can remember all the words, even my own originals, so if forces me to play thru the whole song.
Prior to that tho... ill admit to many many play sessions that were one loooong, aimless (noodlefest) improvisation.

Vikingbear wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:16 pm Good Question! I play thru whole songs alot more now that Im in a band, and am singing as well as playing guitar. I have to sing something 20 times or so before I can remember all the words, even my own originals, so if forces me to play thru the whole song.
Prior to that tho... ill admit to many many play sessions that were one loooong, aimless (noodlefest) improvisation.

Yeah, Live Bands change everything. You get a pro mentality quick.

BIAB was my best friend and my worst enemy for noodling. Open a song (I've got close to 4,000)
And then mute the melody and soloist then go to town. I'll admit it made me a jazz shredder from hell.

Since my last posting I've finally been getting back into Jazz Standards which is (or was) my wheelhouse for the last 20 years. I'm stumbling without the sheet music in front of me. So I'm relearning many of them. What I used to do better was to play the song without aid of sheet music once I'd gotten it down. That being said when I do get a chord melody standard down it's the most rewarding for me to play. That doesn't always translate to audience satisfaction.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Return to “Guitars”