Any way I can mimic a 90's effects rack?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sonic Cat's LFX 1310 is pretty close to the sound of my SPX-90 and DSP 128 rackmount effects from the 80's. 32 bit only but it is free.

LFX 1310.png

https://sonic-cat.com/lfx-1310/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

You can use J-Bridge to use 32-bit plugins in 64-bit hosts. Renoise and Bitwig support 32-bit plugins.

You could make something like this in a modular host with lots of futzing around with assigning fake knobs to parameters and adding images to make a pile of plugins seem like a rack of gear even adding a fake patch bay etc. As someone who used a fixed rack of gear back in the day, I don't miss it or see any particular use for a setup like you describe.

Many of the processors that were affordable for independent producers back then have been reimagined as plugins and if you want that sound you can get it, but to mimic the workflow, you would be looking at a fair amount of setup just to limit yourself.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

On a side-note...It's funny how there's no good emulations of popular (cheap) compressors from these days ; Alesis 3630, Behringer Composer, etc.
Also, no proper emulations of mixing desks like the ones from Mackie, Behringer or Soundcraft, which were used a lot back then.
More BPM please

Teksonik wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:33 pm Sonic Cat's LFX 1310 is pretty close to the sound of my SPX-90 and DSP 128 rackmount effects from the 80's. 32 bit only but it is free.

LFX 1310.png

https://sonic-cat.com/lfx-1310/
There we go! :love:

KORG Collection - MDE-X :
https://korg.shop/software/korg-collection-mde-x.html

MDE-X is equipped with 19 different effect programs carefully selected from KORG digital effects, including Compressor, Limiter, Overdrive, Equalizer (EQ), Talking Modulator, Flanger, Phaser, Chorus, Delay, and Reverb.

The plug-in uses an effect algorithm derived from the high-quality TRITON family of synthesizers. Now you can use these effects that have defined the sound used in so many tracks in the software. Also, with its 128 effect programs, MDE-X can be used in a wide range of applications such as sound design, live performance, and mixdown sessions.

carrieres wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:20 pm KORG Collection - MDE-X :
https://korg.shop/software/korg-collection-mde-x.html

MDE-X is equipped with 19 different effect programs carefully selected from KORG digital effects, including Compressor, Limiter, Overdrive, Equalizer (EQ), Talking Modulator, Flanger, Phaser, Chorus, Delay, and Reverb.

The plug-in uses an effect algorithm derived from the high-quality TRITON family of synthesizers. Now you can use these effects that have defined the sound used in so many tracks in the software. Also, with its 128 effect programs, MDE-X can be used in a wide range of applications such as sound design, live performance, and mixdown sessions.
What a legend, that settles it! Thanks. :party:

dionenoid wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:58 am On a side-note...It's funny how there's no good emulations of popular (cheap) compressors from these days ; Alesis 3630, Behringer Composer, etc.
Also, no proper emulations of mixing desks like the ones from Mackie, Behringer or Soundcraft, which were used a lot back then.
A lot of that gear is all over the place and dirt cheap. I bought my SoundCraft Spirit Studio 24 2 years or so ago for $400. I dont think anyone wants to pay $100 for a Spirit channel strip when you can probably pick up a 16 channel board for not much more and have a fully inline console on hand. Even $50 for a 3630 emulation? I can find the real thing for the same price all over town.

Airwindows already did the one part of the Mackie anyone wants an old VLZ for, the input distortion.

dionenoid wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:58 am Also, no proper emulations of mixing desks like the ones from Mackie
Digivolt wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:15 pm https://www.airwindows.com/mackity/
ummm

Digivolt wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:46 pm
dionenoid wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:58 am Also, no proper emulations of mixing desks like the ones from Mackie
Digivolt wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:15 pm https://www.airwindows.com/mackity/
ummm
Yeah i tried that one. I was deliberately saying 'proper emulations' for that reason.
More BPM please

pretty sure I saw a plugin claiming to emulate the alesis 3630 a while ago, perhaps something from audiothing or audiority. And the behringer composers were/are just straight clones of the dbx 266 iirc, so in an ideal world shouldn't sound much different from a 165 emulation with random noise added.

edit: it was discoDSP's 'NightShine' that claims to emulate the 3630

I wonder why Arturia never did a clone of the Yamaha SPX 90 (since they've done a DX7).

Or an Ensoniq DP/4 (since they've done the SQ80).

They've done a bunch of other FX plugins so.....

I guess there isn't the same reverence or lust for old FX units as there is for old synths. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Emulating a digital FX unit without infringing on copyright somewhere (or resulting in something merely 'similar to' the original) is probably really hard; in the same realm as 'why haven't they done a SY-99/D-50/M1' that always gets asked.

Alyctro wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:31 pm
So you're saying I should just give up on the idea of emulating a rack? And that I should just stick to the common way because there's no benefit in emulating a rack? I know most of those plug-ins. Besides the bitcrusher, you're right that's the type of effects I'd expect. Although, those are pretty modern too.
The H3000 is a rack processor that's been around since the 80s and was prominently used in studios though the 90s.. and I'm sure still used today.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

NikkiA wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:38 pm Emulating a digital FX unit without infringing on copyright somewhere (or resulting in something merely 'similar to' the original) is probably really hard; in the same realm as 'why haven't they done a SY-99/D-50/M1' that always gets asked.
Yet Arturia emulated a DX7 and an SQ80 which does have sample content.

There are no samples in a Yamaha SPX90 so it wouldn't be legally any different than emulating a DX7. (It can sample or Freeze but contains no sample content).

I just don't think there is any demand. I haven't fired up my SPX90 in a very long time and unless someone is really desperate to duplicate a song from that era I don't think there's much use in an emulation. What we have at our fingertips these day is just so much better.

But having said that I might buy an SPX-90 emulation just for nostalgia's sake.

Return to “Effects”