Virus or deepmind

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any thoughts on what’s better Virus or Deepmind ?

I have both but prefer Virus (Virus TI2).

gtgttggtg wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:24 pm Any thoughts on what’s better Virus or Deepmind ?
Here's where you want to ask that question: viewforum.php?f=74
My answer: Batman!

On paper, the Virus beats the DeepMind in just about every feature category except for actually being analog. Whether or not it’s “better” is entirely subjective.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I bought a Deepmind 12 a month ago, and was initially disappointed in it after trying all the presets, and unplugged it ready to put it back in in its box. But I decided to give it another go the other day, and started by initialising it and building my own sounds from scratch. Now I am really enjoying using it, and my Alpha Juno 2 and Juno 6 are both being ignored as the Deepmind can get pretty close to both of them in a much smaller compact design.

As for a Virus versus Deepmind comparison I guess it depends what sort of sounds you are looking for? The Deepmind presets are full of sounds based on the FX and Mod Matrix, and they may appeal to someone seeking the Virus sound, as they radically change the sound from analogue sounding to digital, and have plenty of weird stuff in there, but I have never played a Virus so cannot comment. The main point for me of the Deepmind is the buttons and sliders which gives hands on control of the main parameters while shaping the sound I am looking for.

It depends on what sounds you want.
What sounds or experience are you looking for?

They are not synths i would put in the same category.
I see deepmind as a synth based on the Juno and a good bang for the buck.
I see virus as an superb trance machine but quite a bit more expensive than the deepmind.
The virus is also digital so maybe more easily exchanged by a plugin than the deepmind (sort of). Viper by Adam szabo is a pretty good emulation although not all features of the Virus are emulated.

They're not really comparable. DeepMind 12 is a monotimbral analog synth inspired by the relatively simple Juno-106, Virus is a completely digital, multitimbral synth.

Agreed with the above statement that the Virus has mostly been superseded by plugins these days. There's even a plugin that emulates the DSP chip inside the Virus to let you run the actual Virus algorithms in the plugin (though it only runs up to the Virus C at the moment), producing identical sound to the hardware (minus the DAC stage).

Thanks guys , sounds like I’m going to purchase the virus , I think the editor mystery islands has great communication with the virus as a plug in to

gtgttggtg wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:15 pm Thanks guys , sounds like I’m going to purchase the virus , I think the editor mystery islands has great communication with the virus as a plug in to
The MI/Aura editor does work pretty well, although their support is atrocious/nonexistent and I still prefer the implementation of the original Access Virus Control plugin over the third-party MI editor. Unfortunately, VC is no longer an option for those of us who use modern Macs, so it's good to have the MI option. If you're on a Windows machine or an older compatible Mac OS, be sure to try the Virus Control software before buying the MI editor.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

both, one for wibbles, one for wooshes.

vurt wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:17 pm both, one for wibbles, one for wooshes.
What about the oontz-eses?

cryophonik wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:20 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:17 pm both, one for wibbles, one for wooshes.
What about the oontz-eses?
different thread

I owned both and I sold the Deepmind and kept the Virus. I didn't have any real complaints about the sound of the DM - I actually liked the sound a lot - but the interface was like walking through mud on a rainy day. Lots of menu diving and the responsiveness of the display wasn't the best either. Everything felt sluggish. But good tone and good effects. If Behringer would come out with a DeepMind mk2 I would definitely be interested.
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I owned both and I sold both! Enjoyed them both whilst I had them but needed the space for new things (+ Summit sort of gave me a bit of both!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I have a Deepmind 12 and find it OK. The resolution of the display could be improved, but its functional. I initialise a patch and create a new one without needing to go into the menus much. The majority of what is needed to make new sounds can be done using the sliders and a few button presses. I am not a fan of FX, so maybe a bit of reverb and chorus and my "menu diving" is finished. The great thing about the Deepmind is its size. its compact and takes up little room. At the end of the day, more knobs, sliders, and buttons would mean a much bigger keyboard.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”