Waves abandon perpetual licenses and WUP

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

revvy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:18 pm Read the Bargains thread. As predicted, it’s subscription, apparently
Allegedly!

This is all speculation until things are confirmed by Waves themselves. Which might or might not happen on Monday. Maybe later.

Here are two posts from Bargain Discussion, since you didn't provide any source.

viewtopic.php?p=8638994#p8638994
viewtopic.php?p=8639057#p8639057

revvy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:18 pm One vendor said subs only, Waves apparently responded that no, resellers are toast but Waves themselves will continue to sell perpetual too.
I've read further, spent some time on search, even went to the VI-control forum that is referenced (and features some more... fellow "critical" KVRians)... I didn't see any third party vendors that said with utmost certainty "subscription only".

So at this point, it's still speculation that they might go this route. Even I only theorized that after the Best Service news post.

Again, we might know more on Monday.

Doesn't change the fact that Waves' announcement was very vague, and third party vendors have been like "WHELP, this is it, good bye". Which of course results into users questioning what is going on. So the radio silence isn't doing any good here. Never does (also see iZotope with discontinuing a lot of their plugins overnight, and taking several days to address that!).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Iva wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:28 pm Imagine.. Apple bought Waves. All waves plugins now included in to the Logic Pro X for free...
That would be crazy. Imagine all the pros using ProTools all of a sudden losing their Waves plugins they're used to.

I would be shocked to see this means Apple buying Waves. If that would have been the case, knowing what we know about Waves, they would surely have made a drawn-out spring-blowout-sale before the merger to squeeze out the most of it. Almost everybody does and Waves are known for their love of sales.

All speculation of course.

I never understood the whole reseller thing with Waves, though. That always confused me.
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I was trying to come up with something funny to say. The best I could come up with was: I heard Waves was going Open Source.

Perhaps Behringer bought Waves. Would be kind of a fit.

Apparently Waves forgot to pay their WUP.
More BPM please

owenpoe wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:21 am
Iva wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:28 pm Imagine.. Apple bought Waves. All waves plugins now included in to the Logic Pro X for free...
That would be crazy. Imagine all the pros using ProTools all of a sudden losing their Waves plugins they're used to.
lol

I notice today's "waves offer" email claims 'last chance plugins at $29.99', now granted there is a lot of weasel-word ways that they could spin things to be talking about 'last chance' in this sale or whatever, but given the above rumours/worry, it suggests insanity.

(Or they could be making everything $19.99 from sunday onwards, but unlikely)

Not that I intend to ever purchase waves plugins again, or anything

From Plugin Discounts just now:
Waves Discontinues Perpetual Licenses
On March 26th, Waves will discontinue the option to purchase perpetual plugin and/or bundle licenses, and Waves Update Plan renewals.

If you have purchased a Waves product from us - Please be sure to register it no later than March 25th (tomorrow). There will be no refunds on unused codes, and they will not work after the 25th.

Perpetual licenses will continue to work in Waves accounts. You will be able to continue to use them indefinitely. After 3/25, you will not be able to buy new Waves perpetual licenses, upgrades or extend WUP.

We still have perpetual licenses for all Waves products and discounted WUP. You can shop Waves perpetual plugins and bundles here while they’re still available. You can request your discounted WUP pricing on our site here.

We will stop offering discounted WUP around 1pm east coast time on Saturday.

Looks like I'll just be using the current version of my few Waves plugins for as long as they last and then replace them with other plugins that don't require a sub. Not that big of a deal, probably will hit some people harder than others though.

I've been waiting to update my WUP until my new Mac Mini installation was complete.

After the weekend I won't be able to get WUP for my existing plugins?

If this is true it's a disgusting move of epic proportions.
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

So far I have only seen 3rd party stores announcing that they will not be selling perpetual licenses or WUPs and that Waves requires licenses to be registered by March 26th the latest.
Nothing I have seen indicates that perpetual licenses will not be available from Waves directly.

9C9D84A4-683C-4D62-B615-C1ECE915722C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

conpyfox- apparently serves the same purpose as your allegedly. We’re both speculating and we’re not facing legal jeopardy. I gave my source, you gave links. Then you speculated some more with your absolutely baffling superiority attitude . My goodness.

Anyway, back to the speculation: If Waves themselves do actually abandon perpetual licenses and more importantly WUP for previous purchases, I will be all over their asses to get refunds on the stuff I’ve recently bought. Especially as a Mac user who needs (paid if necessary) updates to keep stuff functional.

Nearly time to find out…
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Not happy about Waves not offering perpetual licenses in future.
It's sad that I have to add that Waves could do whatever they want, because there are three things I can't imagine to not have or use any more and I know I am not the only one:
1. Waves plugins
2. Lots of plugins with iLok
3. AIR - the one and only!
Waves and Air have too many too good plugins. There was a time when iLok was an issue sometimes, but not any more and also too many too good plugins with iLok.
And I think Waves know that very well and don't care about some people's opinions.
Is it even possible to finish a mix without a Waves plugin at all?
I am not sure, but I think my daw would not even start rendering without a Waves plugin, I might get an error message....

Return to “Effects”