New Fabfilter Update Adds Scaling (Including Text/Icons) To All Plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DarkStar wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:58 am And a big +1 for the stepped scaling (125%, 150% etc) rather than the continuous resizing used by some other developers. To me, stepped scaling would use less CPU/GPU (if the sets of images are fixed sizes).
Don't Fabfilter's GUIs utilise vector, rather than bitmap graphics? In which case, the "stepped scaling" you refer to, wouldn't really be a factor in the scaling mode used.

MrJubbly wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:49 pm
DarkStar wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:58 am And a big +1 for the stepped scaling (125%, 150% etc) rather than the continuous resizing used by some other developers. To me, stepped scaling would use less CPU/GPU (if the sets of images are fixed sizes).
Don't Fabfilter's GUIs utilise vector, rather than bitmap graphics? In which case, the "stepped scaling" you refer to, wouldn't really be a factor in the scaling mode used.
Previously, things like fonts and graphics did not scale with the rest of the GUI. So the background mostly got bigger, but the important elements remained small. That functionality remains, but the new stepped scaling options actually makes text, icons, etc. larger.

FabFilter is awesome. Updates on older plugins too, and free. Very user friendly and respectful

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:08 pm
MrJubbly wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:49 pm
Previously, things like fonts and graphics did not scale with the rest of the GUI. So the background mostly got bigger, but the important elements remained small. That functionality remains, but the new stepped scaling options actually makes text, icons, etc. larger.
Yeah, I know. I was one of the people who had previously been requesting the scaling feature to Fabfilter (rather than the previous window resizing ability).

What I meant was, I believe Fabfilter's plugin GUIs use vector graphics as opposed to bitmap graphics. So that scaling in set increments such as 75%, 100%, 125%, 150%, 200%, etc. versus a completely unlimited scaling wouldn't be an issue (in terms of the legibility of the graphics), as was seemingly the suggestion of the member I quoted.

I feel the reason Fabfilter chose to use the set scaling increments was to better control the relative layout of the various elements (so that every control/display remains visible, on screen within the plugin, while scaling), since Fabfilter also utilise various set window size settings (which themselves alter the spacing of the various GUI displays and controls within each plugin).

Which makes the implementation of the scaling all the more impressive in my opinion (since its rather more complex, than with many other plugins, which simply 'zoom' in/out the same basic GUI layout. But either way, it still hasn't been clarified whether or not Fabfilter is using vector or bitmap graphics for their GUIs. If I were to guess, I would bet on the former.

I could be wrong, but when I look at the Threshold knob on Pro-G at 150% scaling, it looks a tiny bit soft. I wouldn't be surprised if there are indeed bitmaps mixed in. At least with some of that older stuff.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:06 pm I could be wrong, but when I look at the Threshold knob on Pro-G at 150% scaling, it looks a tiny bit soft. I wouldn't be surprised if there are indeed bitmaps mixed in. At least with some of that older stuff.
Well if they indeed are bitmaps, they are the most vector-looking bitmaps I've ever seen. So props to whoever designed them that way. :lol:

I do know what you mean though, when they are scaled up, there is a slight 'softness/blur' to the edges, which could be attributed to a bitmap source. However, I don't see any sign of pixelation or other tell-tale signs. Although, that could be as a result of higher quality source bitmap images, or just some clever scaling processes.

If I had to bet though, my money would still be on vectors. It's probably a good job, I don't gamble! :D

Same here, at certain scalings the buttons (and text sometimes) aren't as crisp as at other scalings.

Return to “Effects”