Waves abandon perpetual licenses and WUP

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

billcarroll wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:22 pm
beely wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:20 pm
billcarroll wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:19 pm No more WUP to update existing plugins either from what I can see. If you want to update you have to go on subscription. Is that the case now?
Yes.
Crazy. What happens if I subscribe for 1 month? Are all of my plugins updated? Do they revert back to old versions after I end my subscription?
Probably yes, since everything else wouldnt make much sense (for them).
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Vocalpoint Studios wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:00 pm
standalone wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:49 pm The new Waves Central seems to be updating all my V14 plugins right now, even those out of WUP.
Yep - moves everything to 14.12.90.381 after it completes.

All of mine were updated successfully and I tested a pile of them in Studio One 6.1 - all working normally.

VP
Would you mind letting us know if those you had without WUP are still working after the forced update?
I'm very hesitant to run waves central now... :help:
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

seangm wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:25 pm
billcarroll wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:22 pm Crazy. What happens if I subscribe for 1 month? Are all of my plugins updated? Do they revert back to old versions after I end my subscription?
You could ask Waves support but I have a feeling you would trade in the perpetuals for the sub plugins.
You could well be right. ‘Twill be the stuff of mass mutiny if so. The legal position of those with active WUPs will be particularly thorny. If you bought yesterday, today it would be worthless.

But let’s see the full terms - website still not live. They might well offer free subs for the term of your WUP, that would be legally their best shot.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

escalona wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:35 pm
standalone wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:49 pm The new Waves Central seems to be updating all my V14 plugins right now, even those out of WUP.

All of mine were updated successfully and I tested a pile of them in Studio One 6.1 - all working normally.

VP
Would you mind letting us know if those you had without WUP are still working after the forced update?
The ones I have tried work without an issue. Waves' incompetence and evilness are greatly overrated. :hihi:
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

One other important question - does running Waves Central obliterate v9 versions for those still running 32 bit?

(A great shame all this. After 10 years of horror they finally got Waves Central working smoothly for this sort of thing).
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

https://www.waves.com/downloads/release-notes#v14

March 26, 2023

All Waves plugins are updated to v14.12.x, with the following new features:
New: All Waves Plugins are now supported as VST3 in
Reason 12.5.1
Maschine 2.16
Komplete Kontrol 2.8.

New: The following plugins now feature hi-res HiDPI graphic interfaces: Abbey Road Chambers, Abbey Road J37 Tape, Abbey Road Saturator, Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter, dbx 160, H-Delay, PuigChild Compressor.

Etc.

standalone wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:46 pm
escalona wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:35 pm

VP
The ones I have tried work without an issue. Waves' incompetence and evilness are greatly overrated. :hihi:
Yeah, I don't think Waves is evil or anything. It would be good to understand the details though.

I don't see any deals for those of us who own a bunch of Waves plugins. Their FAQ indicates this is the end of the line for purchased plugins. You keep the version you have now, no updates possible. The only way forward is subscription.

Waves Creative Access – Frequently Asked Questions

https://www.waves.com/support/waves-cre ... -questions
Bitwig Certified Trainer

The way Waves are acting right now is very unprofessional. They treat their customers like sh.t. Nothing is really clear but one thing for me:
Bye Waves without "Good"!

VP
Doesn't work for me. Am I forgetting to do something?

standalone wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:46 pm The ones I have tried work without an issue. Waves' incompetence and evilness are greatly overrated. :hihi:
Same here updated those within WUP and left those expired WUP versions alone, all working fine, not sure I want to keep using them though out of principle for this move from Waves :borg:

😱awfull move from waves ...i stop buying from them when i saw they were locking their product on old osx with a json file...this is pure scam

escalona wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:35 pm Would you mind letting us know if those you had without WUP are still working after the forced update? I'm very hesitant to run waves central now... :help:
I had a pile that were no longer under WUP - and they all updated and are all working fine.

Now - I should mention - all of these were already v14 and I believe we always got minor (point) updates anyway as long as they were all already on v14.

I suspect if I had a mix of say 13 and 14 - anything not 14 would be ignored.

VP

escalona wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:35 pm Would you mind letting us know if those you had without WUP are still working after the forced update? I'm very hesitant to run waves central now... :help:
I had a pile that were no longer under WUP - and they all updated and are all working fine.

Now - I should mention - all of these were already v14 and I believe we always got minor (point) updates anyway as long as they were all already on v14.

I suspect if I had a mix of say 13 and 14 - anything not 14 would be ignored.

VP

Here's my experience: I had a bunch of V13 and V14 and naively clicked on "update" in Waves Central. The result: V13 plugs remained V13 and work as usual, but V14 plugins now WON'T LOAD IN REAPER! Beware Reaper users!

pastador59 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:25 pm but V14 plugins now WON'T LOAD IN REAPER! Beware Reaper users!
What exactly are you seeing (or not seeing) on screen? Error? No plugins at all? Does Reaper have the ability to rebuild it's plugin list/cache/db?

VP

Return to “Effects”