2023: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2023)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I sprung the Behringer 960 sequencer from retirement as I had acquired some more rack space via one of those open frame 19” racks and a cheap TipTop 3u eurorack converter. I realise now if I don’t use it to sequence notes, for which I never liked it, but instead for modulating filters or anything that doesn’t require precision then it’s fantastic. Especially handy is each row has 2 outputs so that’s 6 sources for audio mischief.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:35 am I like the look of the new flight of harmony Facehugger; the Kickstarter for it just opened. Will probably wait till its 'on shelves' in the UK though.
Yeah, looks interesting. I found the discussion of parts requirements interesting as well with the slider manufacturer requiring a 3000 unit minimum order. I guess I conceptually support the idea of a kickstarter for small modules like this. This isn't the kind of module that would drive me to do a kickstarter gamble.

I only have one other FOH module, and it's in a kit, not built, and was bought on a whim. It probably won't get built for a while as it's SMT and I need some new tools for that.

Finally ordered an STO and the Greyscale black faceplate.

An Arturia Keystep is likely in my near future, but for now I’m using OP-Z and looking to finally integrate SQ64.

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:30 am
elxsound wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:34 am And I realize I can’t leave the wires in because it’ll become a play toy for Marley.
I find this to be freeing. Let go of your attachment to the patch, and start again. It promotes fast patching and thinking actively about your ideas.
I’m definitely going to do both. I’m just excited that I’ll be able to leave things in and put it out the way when not in use. I’m actually having fun using the dual cases in places I can’t record and just exploring the added utilities of the chromatic modules.

I didn’t use the Molten Audio DIY fix, but found a way to power both off one outlet. Down the road, I’ll explore hiding the power module to regain some hp.

elxsound wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:32 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:30 am
elxsound wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:34 am And I realize I can’t leave the wires in because it’ll become a play toy for Marley.
I find this to be freeing. Let go of your attachment to the patch, and start again. It promotes fast patching and thinking actively about your ideas.
I’m definitely going to do both. I’m just excited that I’ll be able to leave things in and put it out the way when not in use. I’m actually having fun using the dual cases in places I can’t record and just exploring the added utilities of the chromatic modules.
Something else that I find freeing, and a halfway measure regarding recording, is to let go of the need to multitrack everything. I have my tascam field recorder plugged into the output of my modular mixer and sometimes I just turn it on, either at the start of a session, or just well into it when I think that some exploration might yield something that I ant to refine a bit later. I'm quite ok with the recording just being a two track recording.

Currently debating between a Roland Integra 7 and Dexibell Vivo SX7 or SX8 because I want a module mostly for piano and EP sounds.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

elxsound wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:26 pm Finally ordered an STO and the Greyscale black faceplate.
sto is so simple, but sounds so big!!!
An Arturia Keystep is likely in my near future
:tu: i have the basic one, more than enough for me. its a great little keyboard tbh, the arp/seq section is pretty awesome :)

One of these is on its way. I wanted something a little more instantly hands on tweakable than my Westlicht sequencer for basslines and leads, but which still had all that probability, slide, tempo divide/multiply functionality.
And it’s a handy 4 track gate sequencer if not used for any note info too.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I bought a bunch more NLC panel/pcb sets! I was sad that my Plague of Demons didn't work out, so I bought a handful of more simple modules, which will hopefully work first time or with a small amount of tinkering, giving me the boost to motivate me to build/fix more complex modules! I did also buy another PoD PCB because I really want a working one and my hope is that if I can get that one working, I can use it as a solid reference point for getting the original one running. When I have both PCBs working, I'll buy a second faceplate and with the Timbre Timbre I bought, I'll have my very own complex oscillator setup :)
Always Read the Manual!

Steady State Gate arrived and it’s replacing the Doepfer LPG in the rack. I don’t plan on selling the LPG, but will keep it in a pod since it sounds different.

I really like this one.

nice looking module, a bit knight rider looking 8)

vurt wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:57 pm nice looking module, a bit knight rider looking 8)
I might need to program that theme the on SQ64! I can use this for doing a deep dive on Mimeophon tonight… I’m not using all the features and I need to change that.

But this thing sounds great!

I'm more likely to buy anything in this thread sooner than a Waves plugin.

To celebrate not spending money on WUP, I've got Befaco A*B+C coming in kit form. I wanted a dual ring-mod and I wanted it based on the AD633, and, I like Befaco. Also, more knurlies.

See this thread: https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=250070

I have some MC1495s in my junk box, but meh. I can't see spending the time building something like that from scratch with fussy chips like the MC1495.

This year, I think I've only got the Behringer Crave and Cre8audio West Pest..debating over the Behringer Sys 55 or 35 since the price drop at Sweetwater

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”