Waves abandon perpetual licenses and WUP

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

waltercruz wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:11 pm A screenshot from Waves Central right now.

LOL - as expected. They won't see a single cent from me if they stop selling perpetual licenses which seems to be the case here

cREaTivE aCcSezZ!! :lol:

I’m most pissed that they took my money for WUP a couple of weeks ago, not to mention for a few mores discounted plugins.

I’ll survive but what a shitty approach.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Well, this is rough. I have a lot of Waves plugins, but not many updated to the latest version. Kinda hurts. I don't see myself jumping on a Waves subscription.

Something tells me they will have to rethink this.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Last edited by Yadrichik_Chaya on Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fusion

martinjuenke wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:36 pm The whole "Waves goes subscription only" drama has one true fact:
Waves will not use resellers any more to sell their perpetual licenses.
That's all.
The rest is noise.
lmao

I just paid WUP in January -- a total waste of good money. What a kick in the teeth to Waves loyal customers. Time to move on. Ridiculous that they kill perpetual and only offer subscription now. Could have supported both business models and let customers decide. But no -- let's make sure all the customers who invested heavily in our products, have to reinvest every month now. Because the initial product cost and the ongoing WUP isn't enough. Wait -- let's have people pay a third time for the same plugins - what a great idea. We'll give it a happy name... "Waves Creative Access." One less customer for Waves to deal with here...

since they no longer offer WUP one would think they would just update all perpetual licenses to the last update since they apparently can't be sold or purchased. but i suppose waves being waves they will hold a grudge against those that did not keep their plugs current (although waves never really updated much for the money) that would of course make users of old versions install via legacy installers since they still have links to those installers. lol

i haven't used waves plugs in about 4 yrs now and did not even install them on the new system. just for shits and giggles i may install waves central and install all my plugs and see what works... who knows they may screw up and allow me to use vst3 versions now lol (i have stuff as far back as v9) what's the worst that could happen? i may have to uninstall waves again lol

they have really screwed the pooch on this one imo the only way i see them not losing most of their base customers is to give them something to appease them. does waves actually think people are going to bow to this strong arm tactic? ANSWER: yes

grab the popcorn... this is going to be a drama

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

emasters wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:32 pm I just paid WUP in January -- a total waste of good money. What a kick in the teeth to Waves loyal customers.
Yeah. It just seems wrong that there was no proper communication about these changes in advance from Waves themselves. It's a completely different service now.

I don't want to rely on subscription services because I value project preservation so I'm just not interested anymore.

Before today... all I was told (from a store) was that a "registration system" will have a change on the 26th so I should register my Waves codes soon. Not very descriptive... :?

In the end it just comes down to the price. Everyone would probably agree that a Waves subscription is OK if they sell it for $29/year.
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

NOBODY should support those tactics. Imagine if all somewhat bigger plugin companies would do the same. You'd easily end up paying >200 per month. No more options to decide on when and what to update, either. Shafted forever - unless you don't want to load your songs properly ever again.
Something like that should not be supported.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Sascha Franck wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:17 am NOBODY should support those tactics. Imagine if all somewhat bigger plugin companies would do the same. You'd easily end up paying >200 per month. No more options to decide on when and what to update, either. Shafted forever - unless you don't want to load your songs properly ever again.
That would be $24.000 in 10 years!
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

pastador59 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:25 pm Here's my experience: I had a bunch of V13 and V14 and naively clicked on "update" in Waves Central. The result: V13 plugs remained V13 and work as usual, but V14 plugins now WON'T LOAD IN REAPER! Beware Reaper users!
I had that ( although in my case it was just the vst3 versions that wouldn't load - vst2 was fine ) - I had to clear/rescan the waveshell entries and then vst3 worked

wangeroge wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:22 am
Sascha Franck wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:17 am NOBODY should support those tactics. Imagine if all somewhat bigger plugin companies would do the same. You'd easily end up paying >200 per month. No more options to decide on when and what to update, either. Shafted forever - unless you don't want to load your songs properly ever again.
That would be $24.000 in 10 years!
may as well go eurorack :D

I blame all the people non stop complaining about WUP. This would have never happened otherwise.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Effects”