Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Going 100% subs is a "d" move by Waves.

I normally stop working with plugins as soon as their company announces that there won't be future updates anymore. Recently I stopped working with the Exponential Audio stuff and Absynth from Native Instruments. I never pay for any subscription. So now it's time to stop using Waves plugins.
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

Can’t wait for Yoad to pop up and try and justify this Waves move on SonicState. He’s all errrrrrrm this and errrrrrm that at the best of times, I reckon his next appearance could just be one ten minute long errrrm drone.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Uncle E wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:13 pm Fortunately, you can get a lot done with 10-20 plugins, even fewer if it’s something like Ozone that does many tasks well. I can’t remember the last time I used more than 20 distinct plug-ins in a single project.
Yes, but these plugins are from different companies. Even if you only sometimes use Ovox you now have to pay the full Waves subscription price.
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

I literally was going to buy an upgrade to waves mercury this summer from horizon. After this this sub-only fiasco, they’ve definitely lost me as a customer. There’s a saying: “It’s always morally right to pirate adobe products”. While I do not encourage the piracy of music software, they’re basically screaming “PIRATE ME!!! (and then maybe we sue you later)”

I suggest the people here at KVR put their complaints massively on social media. There's already a huge demonstration going on.

I was also literally going to upgrade to Mercury this past winter and missed the big BF discount by a day so decided to wait. Well, now I'll be waiting until they get over this sub only BS. I DON'T DO SUBSCRIPTIONS. NEVER WILL. Hope all companies read this and learn. I own over 500 plugins on ilok alone, never mind just about every other brand out there. But my rule is no subs. Ever. Their loss. Other companies too who do this. Learn people. Learn.

Can anyone confirm if Waves Cosmos is still working?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

For years they suck up the cash with the WUP. Now we can't buy an update to what we have already purchased and anyone who bought WUP coverage doesn't get any additional benefit other than they have a current version which will never be upgradeable unless they start fresh with subscription. There is so much wrong with this. They were selling plugins just 3 days ago knowing full well what was happening. They gave us no notice and no incentives whatsoever. I counted my plugins today, not including the free giveaways and the duplicates and I have about 80 plugins. I spent at least $1500 even with promotions and bundles. Way to go Waves. Bye, fu*king bye.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:19 pm Can’t wait for Yoad to pop up and try and justify this Waves move on SonicState. He’s all errrrrrrm this and errrrrrm that at the best of times, I reckon his next appearance could just be one ten minute long errrrm drone.
I like Yoad and respect his work. His Nexus packs are excellent.

I f**king hate Waves now, though.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I have a sneaking suspicion that they are doing this intentionally and already planned to reverse the decision as soon as everyone had an emotional reaction to it. That will actually increase sales for the majority who will be relieved by the reversal and FOMO in to updating their WUP finally after not doing so for years and years. If so, it's genius. But they have to reverse fast. Like within 24 hours fast or many will be so pissed off they'll keep their hatred permanently.

Rational wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:23 am I have a sneaking suspicion that they are doing this intentionally and already planned to reverse the decision as soon as everyone had an emotional reaction to it. That will actually increase sales for the majority who will be relieved by the reversal and FOMO in to updating their WUP finally after not doing so for years and years. If so, it's genius. But they have to reverse fast. Like within 24 hours fast or many will be so pissed off they'll keep their hatred permanently.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to turn in your username, because that makes no sense whatsoever.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Repost from Wave’s forum:

So after I received the email about this - I called a good friend who is the primary composer for arguably the most successful television show of the past decade. Money is plentiful for him - but I know from our friendship that he chooses plug-in developers carefully with a high consideration for how they value loyalty. He literally ripped WAVES APART on the phone. He said that he already spoke with another heavyweight composer who would use Waves for convenience and actually said the other composer said he’s gonna be ditching Waves now as a symbol of care to users/purchasers who are being blatantly disrespected in this industry. Now on to myself - I’m pretty shocked honestly because you can’t just soften a blow that’s already been dealt. The higher executives at WAVES made the conscious decision to not give a #% about any loyal users. So I guess you will take the financial gamble WAVES that this method of cutoff will work financially. Maybe it will - or maybe you’ll be the first company to learn the hard way that respecting your loyal customers goes a long way. Shame on you seriously - and shame on whomever decided how to roll this out.

Repost from Wave’s forum:

This is very disappointing. Maybe this will work out well for Waves, but it seems like a desperation move to me.

Clearly I am not their ideal customer. I have about 10 Waves plug-ins. Most of my work is mixing live recordings. I have always found the Waves products to be pretty good, but for my work, there really is only one plug-in that I would miss. That is the S1-Shuffle, which seems to do a better job of adjusting stereo width than other alternatives. However, recent releases of StudioOne and Cubase have added most of that capability directly into their mix console. I will still use S1-Shuffle as long as it keeps working, but I am surely not going to pay > $100 a year for it. The rest of the Waves plugs I have are mostly redundant, and I just don’t use them that much.

Nonetheless, I have purchased the Vxx upgrades for them every generation or two. I guess Waves doesn’t want that money anymore.

As a matter of principle, I just don’t do subscriptions. Here are the subscriptions I pay for monthly (or annually):

Electric bill
Cell phone
Water / Sewer bill
Natural gas bill
Homeowners (neighborhood) association
Car and homeowner insurance
Ring camera security
Health insurance
Web host for 6 websites I manage
That’s it. I will never pay subscription for any software. Never. Those 9 things I listed above are absolutely essential, and I get value from them every single day.

I am trying to think of whom the ideal customer is that will pay $250 a year. I guess a full-time recording studio might do that. The few that I am familiar with are not big Waves users. And I suppose the person tying to crank out the next great breakout single in their basement might spring for that until they run out of money. I guess you can impress your friends by having 65 VST windows open on your screen all at once. I’m having trouble imagining that being a really big market though.

Well, Waves is entitled to their own business strategy. Been nice knowing you. Sorry to see it end this way.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:49 pm I can imagine treating it like hiring a mix engineer. Write an album, subscribe for a month to let their AI mix it for you, and then unsubscribe when the album is done.
Yep, totally agree. There are some plugins I find invaluable and will just mix a project(s) all at once in a month. This is actually a very economical way to get great tools for dirt cheap when using practically with purpose. It is inexcusable to offer nothing to loyal customers however, but since the 90's I have been hosed by Waves multiple times.

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”