Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greenstorm33 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:27 am
Rational wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:23 am I have a sneaking suspicion that they are doing this intentionally and already planned to reverse the decision as soon as everyone had an emotional reaction to it. That will actually increase sales for the majority who will be relieved by the reversal and FOMO in to updating their WUP finally after not doing so for years and years. If so, it's genius. But they have to reverse fast. Like within 24 hours fast or many will be so pissed off they'll keep their hatred permanently.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to turn in your username, because that makes no sense whatsoever.
Haha. Yeah. I may have to. :dog:

I've just been poking around to the reaction over at Twitter and youtube and it's already CRAZY how mad everyone is about this, just like me. It may already be too late. Likely is. Perhaps their 'genius' plan to throw this out there and reverse it if it ever was their plan has backfired already. If it wasn't their plan they are seriously the stupidest management team ever. Hard to believe they're that stupid though. I still have to believe they didn't think the reaction would be this bad this quickly.

Edit: The only other rational explanation I can think of is that they know something the rest of us don't know yet (or are sticking our heads in the sand about) about the market and are getting ahead of it by cutting their overhead costs and obligations. Perhaps the ai boom about to hit where much of our plugins will be obsolete and replaced with better and faster processes. They've already been doing a money grab the last decade smartly based on the TVM concept (time value of money). We'll see...
Last edited by Rational on Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just posted on Waves forum. Get yourselves down there.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

They got no shame ,.. and they lost me

Only thing that could fix it would be if they fired the CEO and made a public apology

I trusted them with 50-60 plugs from ver 9 to ver 14

This is where it ends for my part

I will use what I have so far for an periode, but no more money to Waves,..

For most their plugs I already got an replacement, and I will get on without them

Bye Waves
HM

Rational wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:23 am I've just been poking around to the reaction over at Twitter and youtube and it's already CRAZY how mad everyone is about this, just like me.
Completely understandable - WAVES deserves everything that they’re getting right now.

Hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent on perpetual licenses for their products over the years. And now: no legit WAVES perpetual license holder can update any of their software?

Who do they think that they are? Adobe?
Nope. WAVES annual revenue is about 200X smaller:

https://growjo.com/company/Waves_Audio

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/char ... be/revenue

Agreed. But two things. 1. No professional management team would ever make an actual change without legal notices being sent out ahead of time to prevent liability/legal risks e.g. class action lawsuits. They've not sent those nor updated their TOS that I'm aware of. Hence my suspicion. 2. They've been telling customers this past week via their helpdesk that perpetual licenses will still be available for purchase directly from waves after the new licensing system is implemented, just not from resellers.

This leads me to still suspect this is a temporary ploy. We'll see..

Reaction is MUCH worse than they anticipated though it seems.

They could also have been calculating their cost to benefit ratio based on overhead and historical sales and determined this to be the cutoff month to reduce programming update costs hereafter regardless of backlash, citing market changes about to hit us all. E.g. the AI boom I'd mentioned and also the market crash and global currency collapse about to hit. Lots of changes about to happen in the next 7 years. It'll be interesting to watch this all unfold.

Some conjecture on my part:
So maybe they're going to do both. 1. This reversal ploy and capture funds from all the people glad they made the switch back to offering perpetual licenses again here soon. 2. An actual legal notification that they will go sub only later this or next year. Both (possibly smart?) [economic] plays for them if that's how it unfolds. That's still my guess.

For principled people like me however I won't be with them any longer. Sadly many still will.

I created this spreadsheet to keep track of Waves alternative products. Feel free to contribute and share this where you feel it would be relevant...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

plexuss wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:12 am I created this spreadsheet to keep track of Waves alternative products. Feel free to contribute and share this where you feel it would be relevant...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Thanks. Was thinking something like this would be great.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Yours is a good name, Rational! You certainly are!

AI is already here: and properly implemented, it negates the need for multiple plugins with different sonic profiles - devs can now build and support Swiss army Knife ip and one-knob-wonders that can largely perform audio function for you especially if you’re a beginner or perpetually time-crunched.

It’s possible that WAVES may be testing subscriptions: see how many sign-up’s they get if that’s a users only option - but for them not to be transparent if this is indeed their agenda, is damaging to all of the long-term relationships they’ve had with the myriad of users who’ve trusted them over the years.

I think that many professional studios are going to transition away from them after this. If I was to guess: Universal Audio and Plugin Alliance inclusive are probably the classic logical software choices that the majority of Studios would agree upon - FabFilter and Sonible as well with Sonible perhaps destined to be the top, widely-used AI choice in the near future.

I think they're really going to focus on the chains feature. I also think that is a very interesting feature. If you use Neutron or EZ Mix, you already work this way. The future of mixing is not in knowing how to use a compressor or knowing which frequencies to boost or cut. The future of mixing is in being able to get the sound you want in the least possible time with the fewest possible barriers. This is certainly a step in the right direction.

But they're already screwing it up by crapping on existing customers.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

I guess all the Waves "influencers" are desparately looking for a new company that supports them. :lol:

Waves just went from the cheapest plugin mill to one of the most expensive and exclusive plugin manufacturer like Roland. How will they pay their 500 staff members with the 3-4 subscriptions that they will get this month?
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

MEGA-20-OFF plugin alliance 20 usd voucher no minimum spend :-)
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products.html

Al big Waves influencers, big Studios and so called "premium supporters" etc. will get the ultimate subscription from Waves for free, you can bet on it...

anime wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:03 am MEGA-20-OFF plugin alliance 20 usd voucher no minimum spend :-)
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products.html
Thanks! Let us know when second 20-off code arrives as I guess there are lots of people who got tired of PA massive mail spamming and no longer receive emails from them.

HoRNet VU Meter MK4 €1.99
Digital VU meter with automatic gain.
https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/h ... meter-mk4/
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”