Waves new - BB Tubes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

v1o wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:03 pm
jens wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:50 am
Scotty wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:06 am Often doesn't read the manual.
Not just that - often he's like "absurd that it doesn't have that feature" while basically hoovering over it with the cursor and you normally wouldn't need to read the manual at all to find it... just a bit more attention and due dilligence...

this and other weird shit like him comparing the Klark Teknik 1176 clone to his Stam Audio clone... title of the video "DO NOT BUY THIS!". The comments are filled with people explaining that a 1176 Blackface is a different device with different schematics as compared to a Blue Stripe (which the Stam is a clone of). Needless to say he always ignores the comments completely and never seems to learn his lesson i.e. he's still just as unprepared as always... he and Paul Third are really the worst. I even prefer Tad Donley over them. :hihi:
I just seen that review. He's supposed to be a mastering engineer, but he didn't like the Klark Teknik 1176 because it was too clean and didn't have a sound. He believes hardware compressors have no value unless they have a sound otherwise you're better off using Fabfilter Pro C. I wonder what he thinks of Weiss hardware.
Well, 1176 is not used in mastering so it has nothing to do with his mastering job.
Also, I agree with this statement. What's the point of "clean hardware compressor"? It may be clean but A/D/A and signal routing overall is not, so it will affect the sound somehow. Nothing can't beat software in the matter of being clean.
Same thing for chasing the cleanest hardware EQ. Just use good parametric eq plugin.
Those "clean" hardware effects were great in the past when we hadn't had such quality plugins of today. I don't see a point why somebody would want one today. Hardware with character is another story, especially when there's a history behind certain unit. Ut buying a clone that only looks like original but doesn't have the same sound qualities? Pure GAS, that's it.

Weiss hardware today is useless because you can have software 1:1 version as a plugin.

Scotty wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:24 pm
astralprojection wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:44 pm
Scotty wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:06 am
vurt wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:14 pm nah i like dan.
never met wytse so wont comment.
Wytse mastered my last album. I haven't updated my website with his masters yet. A good guy all around but his reviews are hit and miss. Often doesn't read the manual. If he likes it , you can count on it being good though. If he doesn't like it there is equal chance he didn't come to grips with it.
Did you go looking for MEs on YouTube? Or how did you settle on him being your me? Personally I wouldn't give him a dime to master anything. He really REALLY don't know what he is doing. And like jens mentioned he proved that with the kt1176 video, but honestly that's just 1 example proving he don't know wtf he is doing.
I wanted an analog mastering chain and younger ears on my project. I sent him a track to get started (right around the time he did a studio rebuild and had his new speakers calibrated) and liked what he did to it. I decided to use him for the full album which I completed a few months afterwards. I have hired other mastering engineers before and felt I could do better in some cases or at least as well in most cases.. With this project he got something out of the stereo mixes that I can't reverse engineer with my own mastering chain. Someone else probably could but not me. I am not disappointed. I don't consider his plugin reviews to be indicative of his understanding of audio in general. As mentioned when he gets excited by a plugin I am almost always in agreement. And that's about all there is to tell.
but he masters using plugins though. Which of course is fine. I do too. I think he mixes with his desk. Anyway can I hear the album somewhere?

pixel85 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:55 am buying a clone that only looks like original but doesn't have the same sound qualities?
And what makes you think That it doesn't sound like the hardware? That hilarious video contains zero information in regards to that question, which was my point.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

astralprojection wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:24 am
Scotty wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:24 pm
astralprojection wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:44 pm
Scotty wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:06 am
vurt wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:14 pm nah i like dan.
never met wytse so wont comment.
Wytse mastered my last album. I haven't updated my website with his masters yet. A good guy all around but his reviews are hit and miss. Often doesn't read the manual. If he likes it , you can count on it being good though. If he doesn't like it there is equal chance he didn't come to grips with it.
Did you go looking for MEs on YouTube? Or how did you settle on him being your me? Personally I wouldn't give him a dime to master anything. He really REALLY don't know what he is doing. And like jens mentioned he proved that with the kt1176 video, but honestly that's just 1 example proving he don't know wtf he is doing.
I wanted an analog mastering chain and younger ears on my project. I sent him a track to get started (right around the time he did a studio rebuild and had his new speakers calibrated) and liked what he did to it. I decided to use him for the full album which I completed a few months afterwards. I have hired other mastering engineers before and felt I could do better in some cases or at least as well in most cases.. With this project he got something out of the stereo mixes that I can't reverse engineer with my own mastering chain. Someone else probably could but not me. I am not disappointed. I don't consider his plugin reviews to be indicative of his understanding of audio in general. As mentioned when he gets excited by a plugin I am almost always in agreement. And that's about all there is to tell.
but he masters using plugins though. Which of course is fine. I do too. I think he mixes with his desk. Anyway can I hear the album somewhere?
He masters with a combination of hardware and software. Sure. Send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you the material. The songs develop. They weren't written to be super catchy within in the first 10 seconds. If you give at least 1 of the songs a full listen from beginning to end that would be worth my time setting you up with the tracks.

Scotty wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:20 am
He masters with a combination of hardware and software. Sure. Send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you the material. The songs develop. They weren't written to be super catchy within in the first 10 seconds. If you give at least 1 of the songs a full listen from beginning to end that would be worth my time setting you up with the tracks.
that would be very nice of you thanks, ill send you a pm.

jens wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:05 am
pixel85 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:55 am buying a clone that only looks like original but doesn't have the same sound qualities?
And what makes you think That it doesn't sound like the hardware? That hilarious video contains zero information in regards to that question, which was my point.
I didn't mean any particular unit there. Just principle.

People commenting on Wytse not reading manuals, good catch. Totally intentional of course, that's his MO for the snake oil videos and he used to state that in his videos too. I guess the idea is to approach each new product fresh and see how far you can proceed just trying things out and deciding if UI is workable that way. You will probably miss some features that way, but it is what it is.

subterfuge wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:43 pm People commenting on Wytse not reading manuals, good catch. Totally intentional of course, that's his MO for the snake oil videos and he used to state that in his videos too. I guess the idea is to approach each new product fresh and see how far you can proceed just trying things out and deciding if UI is workable that way. You will probably miss some features that way, but it is what it is.
That's not the problem - the problem is that he badmouthes stuff he's checking out because of his cluelessness - it would be perfectly fine if he said "would be nice if this feature was included - not sure if it is" - but what he says is more along the lines of "doesn't have this feature, shitty plugin" - plus - as I mentioned - his attention isn't really the best either. Often I don't think a manual is needed anyway and he still doesn't really get how stuff works due to what seems like impatience and inattentiveness to me.
I would describe him as what we call "fahrig" in German. (it's something like erratic, hasty and superficial all rolled into one.)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

To the mods: thanks for cleaning up this thread and keeping the good stuff.

Scotty wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:47 am To the mods: thanks for cleaning up this thread and keeping the good stuff.
👍

And if you are still up for sharing stuff I would love to hear your work and wytse mastering.

Not had a chance yet to test it myself but the new update that came out yesterday fixes the oversampling issues. Just make sure your WUP is up to date to get the latest version.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:50 pm Not had a chance yet to test it myself but the new update that came out yesterday fixes the oversampling issues. Just make sure your WUP is up to date to get the latest version.
That’s good. I was feeling pretty stupid for buying it without checking that. I’ll give it a whirl later.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Is this subscription only now?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:20 pm Is this subscription only now?
Yes, unfortunately, it is.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:47 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:20 pm Is this subscription only now?
Yes, unfortunately, it is.
Rats- I missed it for $30 so I guess I will now never have it! I also noticed I can no longer buy an upgrade plan for the dozen or so Waves plugs I owned. I guess I just wont bother looking at any Waves stuff again!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Effects”