VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

billcarroll wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:39 pm
Jolaff wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:33 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:26 pm
Jolaff wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:04 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:31 pm True, but most people are saying they will never trust or use them again!
yeah but how many of those who said that will REALLY stop using them now that they backed up ?
about 12
Max :hihi:
I guess I'm one of those lonely 12 :)
Same here. But I was already only using one Waves plugin regularly (EV2). But it was on every channel of every song. Now it is on none.

Truth is, I was already headed that way anyways, and had just completed some successful tests for replacing it just before this fiasco unfurled.

My reason for ditching Waves completely actually has more to do with their stupid separate plugins for mono and stereo, and only getting a single license per plugin since my WUP is expired and I'm not going to pay a yearly ransom.

So of course a monthly ransom was always even more out of the question.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:12 am
My reason for ditching Waves completely actually has more to do with their stupid separate plugins for mono and stereo, and only getting a single license per plugin since my WUP is expired and I'm not going to pay a yearly ransom.

So of course a monthly ransom was always even more out of the question.
Mono/stereo clutter is also a pain yes

As for secondary license my workaround is USB dongle

As for WUP sure kinda hidden secundary subscription that is still in no way acceptable either, never was,..

But now the parody is complete, no trust left

What's up next ? :-)

The good thing is that many found alternatives to
Waves in this recent procces, and got to reconsider the "relationship", after all they are not irreplaceable

But at least on W11 it seems like I am able
to run old things ver 9-14 ,.. to have at least some value from my investments still

So maybe it's more an mac-issue with this WUP-madness money-rip ?
Last edited by HM on Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
HM

Actually I don't mind the basic tenet of WUP. You pay some amount that is equivalent to the price of an upgrade, and you get in return... upgrades for a year. That is totally reasonable. If you don't want or need to upgrade, don't pay for WUP.

The part I cannot abide is the giving and taking of a second license as a sort of carrot and stick measure. Partly for the inconvenience, but mostly just because of the principle of the matter. Most every other developer gives you at least 3 licenses. Many give you 5. Some, like IK, give you 10, and as many more as you may need if you run out.

I've pretty much stopped using my Windows DAW completely and am only on a single M1 MacBook Pro now, so losing the second license really doesn't affect me that much currently anyways. And I do still have to deal with the same garbage from East West for my choir libraries. You can juggle one license on two computers, but it is an unnecessary pain in the arse, designed simply to inconvenience the user.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Point taken, partly, I learned to live with moving both my iLok, and Waves key, and Steinberg Key, and Resolve key between different computers

Guess I will gather them all in a usb-hub soon

Rebuilding after crash might also be a little more easy, due to the authorisation-procces not needed for every thing over again
Last edited by HM on Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
HM

Conditions that I would consider to wup another chance:
Significant Lowering the Wup cap (something like $100)
Stop taking off user disagreeing feedbacks on social media etc.
2-3 activation slots on devices per account (prefer simpler method, I hate everything has to go through WC)
Improved incentive for subscriptions (plus no more sneaking underhand like disabling permanent licenses etc.)
No more bloody waveshell v12 v13.x v14.x. (Really annoying.)

In all, taking steps that will treat paying and long-term customers like business/music friends, not milking cows. Well, unless they do not have friends in real life :roll: .

HM wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:32 am So maybe it's more an mac-issue with this WUP-madness money-rip ?
Absolutely. If there had only ever been Windows users, there'd be no WUP. They'd just do business like any decent company instead.
I mean, you will likely be able to run your Waves plugins without ever updating for 10+ years on a Windows machine just fine, even if you update your OS all the time. On macOS, chances are that it's down to 1-4 years (depending on how "adventurous" Apple feels).
Fwiw, I'm an Apple user myself. But those things just suck as much as it gets.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

jamcat wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:43 am Actually I don't mind the basic tenet of WUP. You pay some amount that is equivalent to the price of an upgrade, and you get in return... upgrades for a year. That is totally reasonable. If you don't want or need to upgrade, don't pay for WUP.

The part I cannot abide is the giving and taking of a second license as a sort of carrot and stick measure. Partly for the inconvenience, but mostly just because of the principle of the matter. Most every other developer gives you at least 3 licenses. Many give you 5. Some, like IK, give you 10, and as many more as you may need if you run out.

I've pretty much stopped using my Windows DAW completely and am only on a single M1 MacBook Pro now, so losing the second license really doesn't affect me that much currently anyways. And I do still have to deal with the same garbage from East West for my choir libraries. You can juggle one license on two computers, but it is an unnecessary pain in the arse, designed simply to inconvenience the user.
I agree, although I'll add that pegging WUP to overinflated RRPs is unjustified and charging transfer fees on top of WUP is also ridiculous too. I would have gladly donated (or sold for bare minimum cost) my Gold Bundle years ago, but WUP+transfer, calculated against the nonsense retail price of $800, means it is actually cheaper to buy a new license during a weekly mega "sale"! They don't have to offer second hand license owners any upgrade discounts or (costly) support and although I prefer if license transfers to be free, charging a small nominal fee of say $10 would be acceptable.
Always Read the Manual!

I agree on the 2nd license thing - it’s not useful in practice because its tied to keeping up to date.

One point that has been rarely mentioned in all this furore is that I think I only paid for a WUP update once, every other time it’s been cheaper to upgrade a bundle to something bigger in a sale. This was how I always rationalised things - yes I paid more to get current, but I got more.

I doubt we’ll see a sudden drop in WUP prices, free plugins or what not, but one thing should be non-negotiable. Right now you still can’t actually buy or renew it. If your plan expired yesterday there’s nothing you can do. So anyone with an active WUP has to get it extended for the duration of the outage.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

People like WUP? That is insane to me.

Anyway, for anyone else who unsubscribed from the waves emails a long time ago ...

https://www.waves.com/news/perpetual-wa ... s-are-back
Important Update: Perpetual Licenses and Updates Will Be Back Alongside Subscriptions
Mar 29, 2023

Following your feedback, we are bringing back the option to purchase and update perpetual Waves plugin and bundle licenses, side-by-side with the new Waves Creative Access subscriptions. We are working to make perpetual licenses available to you again as quickly as possible. We will post real-time updates here as soon as they are available.

Letter from Meir Shashoua, Waves CTO and Co-Founder – March 29, 2023:

Dear Waves community,

Over the past few days, many of you have expressed concerns about our decision to discontinue perpetual plugin licenses and our move to an exclusive plugin subscription model. I would like to start by apologizing for the frustration we have caused many of you, our loyal customers. We understand that our move was sudden and disruptive, and did not sufficiently take into consideration your needs, wishes, and preferences. We are genuinely sorry for the distress it has caused.

After respectfully listening to your concerns, I want to share with you that we are bringing back the perpetual plugin license model, side-by-side with the new subscriptions. You will again be able to get plugins as perpetual licenses, just as before.

In addition, those of you who already own perpetual licenses will once again be able to update your plugins and receive a second license via the Waves Update Plan—again, just as before. This option, too, will be available alongside and independently of the subscription program.

We are currently putting all our efforts into making perpetual licenses available to you again, as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you can keep up-to-date on this webpage, where we will post real-time updates as they are available.

I would like you to know that we are committed to you, our users. We listened to your feedback, and we will continue to listen to you. Waves is a company filled with users and creators, just like you, and we are all as passionate about the products as you are. With this in mind, we will strive to find the way to make things right by you, and hopefully regain your trust.

Thank you for your feedback and continued support—I wish you all the best,

Meir Shashoua
CTO and Co-Founder
Waves Audio
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Fwiw, I want someone else to come up with a sampler as Waves' CR8. That one is quite incredible (even if they didn't program it properly) and it's the only item I'd miss from the few Waves plugins I have installed.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

serge wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:09 pm Someone's gonna get fired over this whiplash!
The way it goes it's going to be some unlucky janitor that's getting fired over this.

Higher ups rarely pay for their misdeeds.

El°HYM wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:22 pm Freaking communists like everywhere now.
Comrade! You say that like it is a bad thing!

dumbledog wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:58 pm Hey Waves! You're not Adobe
This was their biggest mistake. If they want to try the subscription only thing again then they better buy up some competition first next time. Maybe Soundtoys, DMG, Melda, PSP, Fabfilter and some other smaller fish. Then discontinue or assimilate those products into their own. This is how you do it. Kind of 101 of going subscription only.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:35 am
dumbledog wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:58 pm Hey Waves! You're not Adobe
This was their biggest mistake. If they want to try the subscription only thing again then they better buy up some competition first next time. Maybe Soundtoys, DMG, Melda, PSP, Fabfilter and some other smaller fish. Then discontinue or assimilate those products into their own. This is how you do it. Kind of 101 of going subscription only.
And you’d better be leagues ahead, also, like photoshop.

Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premiere is not Ahead ,.. but with a share amount of bugs ,.. the ignorance of monopoly ,.. and finally subscription

They are past and killed here ,.. Just like Waves ,.. and replaced with Affinity plus Resolve
HM

Return to “Effects”