Waldorf Largo

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Largo

Also the browser is bugged, auditioning a preset in the browser just plays a second and then stops, and the search bar is useless as it doesn’t inputs any results. Am I the only one having this bug? Also the fx section in the vst3 version is “capricious” and laggy.

i am also seeing this. i think this is a regression, since i remember this used to happen before the last update (was fixed in version 1.74 i believe).

not a good sign regarding quality control.

I think I'm going to give up any hope with Largo and maybe Waldorf software as whole. I've got plenty of other capable wavetables synths that I can just load PPG wavs into.

on the plus side, at least it saves presets now (on OS X that is - i think that always worked on windows).

i was using Unify to save them before.

Given the amount of information about saving presets, banks and parts in general in the manual it's funny that nothing works as planned.

And given the new logo I guess that Waldorf are no longer interested in what makes them resonate with the users who love them, because they are an exceptional company regarding digital synths, but it feels that software was a mistake for them. I really do not understand this tendency to go for flat design these days, They were one of the few company to breathe seriousness about digital music, and now in my opinion I feel they did't accept that themselves.

I am afraid to tell that these early digital aesthetics are from the past, and I'm disappointed that even Waldorf are abandoning this. I hope not seeing a future flat designed Nave or Largo like they've done with Streichfett, as I am a big fan of this "crystal cave" digital fulgurance myself.

Their new logo is not a good sign of what's coming next.

Rivertropic wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:30 pm And given the new logo I guess that Waldorf are no longer interested in what makes them resonate with the users who love them, because they are an exceptional company regarding digital synths, but it feels that software was a mistake for them. I really do not understand this tendency to go for flat design these days, They were one of the few company to breathe seriousness about digital music, and now in my opinion I feel they did't accept that themselves.

I am afraid to tell that these early digital aesthetics are from the past, and I'm disappointed that even Waldorf are abandoning this. I hope not seeing a future flat designed Nave or Largo like they've done with Streichfett, as I am a big fan of this "crystal cave" digital fulgurance myself.

I may be misunderstanding you. If so, my apologies in advance.

I think Largo's interface is almost a work of art. Unlike some older Logic instruments that had very complex UI's just for the sake of looking cool, Largo's interface not only looks great but it's quite functional as well. It's not totally flat. But it's also not a skeuomorphic abomination.

Rivertropic wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:30 pm Given the amount of information about saving presets, banks and parts in general in the manual it's funny that nothing works as planned.

can you explain? i don't understand how the new logo/website is an indication of something bad happening...

but i totally agree about the browser.. it's generally not good.

Big Mouth Strikes Again wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:25 pm
Rivertropic wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:30 pm And given the new logo I guess that Waldorf are no longer interested in what makes them resonate with the users who love them, because they are an exceptional company regarding digital synths, but it feels that software was a mistake for them. I really do not understand this tendency to go for flat design these days, They were one of the few company to breathe seriousness about digital music, and now in my opinion I feel they did't accept that themselves.

I think Largo's interface is almost a work of art. Unlike some older Logic instruments that had very complex UI's just for the sake of looking cool, Largo's interface not only looks great but it's quite functional as well. It's not totally flat. But it's also not a skeuomorphic abomination.

I was saying exactly this, Largo is a work of art, and it feels that they're abandoning these aesthetics for a new "flat design" direction as I see their new Streichfett plugin and their new logo. I hope they will not abandon their original vision for that generic "new standard".

The feeling here is that they not care so much about their plugins, I may be wrong (I hope), but as it is going with notably Waldorf Edition 2, Which is half M1 compatible, half not (D-pole works on M1, Attack opens under Rosetta), and given the attention given to Largo, that in my opinion needs an HD interface upscaling and a browser that works (at least), I'm afraid that they've taken a direction which is not in line with their original intent.

I may be wrong and I will continue to use Nave as it is a beast, but Largo feels uncomfortable to use due to bugs and an interface which needs a refreshing, and I'm afraid that if this refreshing happens one day, it will disappoint some of us, precisely because of this change of art direction they've taken, starting with their new logo, which for me is a self-affront to their own legacy.
Last edited by Rivertropic on Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dayjob wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:45 pm
Rivertropic wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:30 pm Given the amount of information about saving presets, banks and parts in general in the manual it's funny that nothing works as planned.

can you explain? i don't understand how the new logo/website is an indication of something bad happening...

but i totally agree about the browser.. it's generally not good.
I was very happy with their iconic logo and didn't understand why they changed it, it feels that instead of upgrading and evolving from their own heritage they took a completely different direction which has nothing to do with what they've achieved until now.

Anyone know where I can find an earlier version of Largo - like maybe 1.5 or 1.6?

There's nothing on their site for it, but I had an earlier version I was happier with, until I had to replace my computer.
Last edited by felis on Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rivertropic wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:27 pm I was very happy with their iconic logo and didn't understand why they changed it, it feels that instead of upgrading and evolving from their own heritage they took a completely different direction which has nothing to do with what they've achieved until now.
In my limited experience, an inexplicable new logo can often be traced back to a change in the head of marketing. The new person comes in and tries to make it look like they are doing something important. Not saying that's what happened here. Not saying I'm not cynical about marketing and heads of marketing. Just offering one potential explanation.

kidslow wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:09 am In my limited experience, an inexplicable new logo can often be traced back to a change in the head of marketing. The new person comes in and tries to make it look like they are doing something important. Not saying that's what happened here. Not saying I'm not cynical about marketing and heads of marketing. Just offering one potential explanation.
I worked for a large education technology company whose logo featured a mythical "phoenix" rising from the ashes. The bird's head previously faced left. But this made it look like the bird was sniffing its armpit.

The Marketing department secretively spent months designing a new logo. They even threw a huge "logo release" party with food, wine, beer and the works. And all they did was make the bird's head point right rather than left. That's a group of geniuses for you. LOL.

I like the sound of Largo, but I find that I rarely use it because of the smallish GUI and imo the horrible preset browser. The latter being the real pain.

vata44 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:28 pm I like the sound of Largo, but I find that I rarely use it because of the smallish GUI and imo the horrible preset browser. The latter being the real pain.
same here.
But glad i could install it back again !
....kind of lost it when i switched to M1mac 2.5 years ago / no clue why...and never cared, finally.
Ahhh, and i´m now on a 40" screen. makes it look better, haha

Rivertropic wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:21 pm
Big Mouth Strikes Again wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:25 pm

I was saying exactly this, Largo is a work of art, and it feels that they're abandoning these aesthetics for a new "flat design" direction as I see their new Streichfett plugin and their new logo. I hope they will not abandon their original vision for that generic "new standard".

The feeling here is that they not care so much about their plugins, I may be wrong (I hope), but as it is going with notably Waldorf Edition 2, Which is half M1 compatible, half not (D-pole works on M1, Attack opens under Rosetta), and given the attention given to Largo, that in my opinion needs an HD interface upscaling and a browser that works (at least), I'm afraid that they've taken a direction which is not in line with their original intent.

I may be wrong and I will continue to use Nave as it is a beast, but Largo feels uncomfortable to use due to bugs and an interface which needs a refreshing, and I'm afraid that if this refreshing happens one day, it will disappoint some of us, precisely because of this change of art direction they've taken, starting with their new logo, which for me is a self-affront to their own legacy.
Largo GUI is nice to look at but it has many problems, first of all the modulation system is a chore to use, very old paradigm.

The horizontal sliders are small, not a joy to tweak, the arrows to open menus are also small.

The position of master volume is awkward, the Pan parameters controls are also quite small.

It could be better keeping the digital aesthetic but as it is now it doesn't scream usability.
dedication to flying

Return to “Instruments”