Sonic Lab - What's up with them?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's up with these folks?

Had to reformat a hard drive and of course I forgot to transfer my iLok licenses beforehand. So I reported the device as unusable and every other company besides Sonic Lab reset my licenses.

A month goes by, I'm giving them space, get an email saying Thermo2 is out and if I paid 99 euros for Thermo1, I get the update for free. I go look to see what I paid for Thermo and it was part of a large purchase I made from them a year ago, but the prices for each product are not broken out. But I paid full price for each product, wasn't part of a sale.

I go to their website, try to log in to my account, says my email is not recognized. I email their support, response is kind of gibberish but something along the lines they no longer have "accounts" to log in to and that I need to pay for the upgrade.

So I ask, how much did I pay for Thermo1? And also, can you please reset my licenses?

Response again is nonsensical, they don't under the question etc. So I elaborate further, no response. That was yesterday.

I email back today, email comes back to me as undeliverable. I suspect they've blocked the email address so I try from a different address, doesn't come back.

I'm so tired of giving people money and them taking it and then not being helpful. So now I've paid a substantial amount of money for unusable licenses.

Is this normal for Sonic Lab? I'm searching around but not finding anything in either direction.

The most asrehole developer I’ve ever dealt with. I’d never deal with them again.
The guy accused me of trying to steal licenses, because I asked for a license that I bought, that wasn’t delivered at purchase. Proper dick!

I almost purchased a few things from SonicLab but when looking into their products I had read some bad things about the developer from both customers and collaborators (Hainbach) so I passed.

Good to know it's not just me. They did just reset my licenses a few minutes ago however, don't know if this little bit of public shaming helped.

But yeah, I'm not giving them any more money

An arrogant, unfriendly and greedy developer imo.
Will never buy again a thing from him.
PS: his iLok licenses are NOT transferrable....

Products are too quality, nothing to argue but the licenses gave me a lot of troubles.

Now I got the mail about thermo 2 and I can’t even find thermo in my user area even if I have the receipt of the purchase 😂😂😂 time to write him again😂

martinjuenke wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:45 pm An arrogant, unfriendly and greedy developer imo.
For real? I knew there was a $25 fee for transferring an iLok license but I didn't know that a developer could refuse to make them transferable.

If true, that really sucks.

manymanyhaha wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:05 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:45 pm An arrogant, unfriendly and greedy developer imo.
For real? I knew there was a $25 fee for transferring an iLok license but I didn't know that a developer could refuse to make them transferable.

It happened exactly as I wrote.
The potential buyers was pissed, I was pissed.
Embarrassing.

What a crock..............

Well, I was really hoping to sell mine. I don't use them. I think they are overly complicated for what they actually do and frankly a bit pretentious (which is a word that is overused and misused but I think applies here).

He got my money and that's my fault. Anyway.............another lesson learned.

charlesalbert wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:56 pm Products are too quality, nothing to argue but the licenses gave me a lot of troubles.

Now I got the mail about thermo 2 and I can’t even find thermo in my user area even if I have the receipt of the purchase 😂😂😂 time to write him again😂
aha i seem to have the same problem. and did write an email....

EDIT: it seems you can make 2 accounts? one via stripe, but i didn't make one with stripe... and never noticed the user area, until now. and that it contains not the correct info.

i did receive emails about updates, with download links.

so something is right and something not...

(i see more developers, that have sh*tty websites...)

EDIT:

received an email... the account is simply not 'managed', the info is stored locally...
so, the info is not accessible..

will still get the update. despite.... well...

martinjuenke wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:06 pm
manymanyhaha wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:05 pm

It happened exactly as I wrote.
The potential buyers was pissed, I was pissed.
Embarrassing.
I wanted to research this a little bit and regarding license transfers, the Sonic Lab website only states this:

"It is not our responsibility to transfer any iLOK licence to another iLOK account, there will be applicable fees resolved with PACE (www.ilok.com)."

https://www.sonic-lab.com/about/

I've never transferred an iLok license. I'm just trying to figure this out because I'm going to be doing a massive sale of plugins I don't use and would really like to sell these. Anyone have any insight? Can Sonic Lab refuse to allow transfer of an iLok license, even though their website does not specifically make their plugins NFR (not for resale)?

iLok license transfers can require permission by the developer.
PSP Audio eg goes with this procedure, but in the end allow the transfer.
SonicLab does not allow a transfer at least for me one year ago.
But almost every other developer have waived their right of veto.
Check directly with the developer itself...

martinjuenke wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:39 pm iLok license transfers can require permission by the developer.
PSP Audio eg goes with this procedure, but in the end allow the transfer.
SonicLab does not allow a transfer at least for me one year ago.
But almost every other developer have waived their right of veto.
Check directly with the developer itself...
He, or they, or whomever it is that is support@sonic-lab.com, they've stopped responding to my emails and apparently blocked one of them. To be fair, I did ask them if they were an idiot after they played dumb and wouldn't answer my questions, haha.

But I got my licenses back. Even if I will probably never use them.

Anyway, thanks for that info

I’ve been really interested in SonicLab’s plugins and would’ve probably dropped $500+ On them if I didn’t read so many comments like the ones here. This dev is burning bridges.

Their plug-ins are strange and intriguing and interesting. Fun little secret weapons if you like experimental sound design. The GUIs are nearly indecipherable at a glance, so you need to pay attention to YouTube tutorials and read through the manual, which is written in imperfect English, but that's okay.

Maybe the language barrier is leading to some crossed wires for people dealing with customer support. I can only say I haven't had a bad experience with them as of this writing.

FYI, when I tried to log into the account I used to purchase Thermo1, I also got the error message that my email was unrecognized. When I contacted the developer, I was given the link to purchase the Thermo2 upgrade, so I guess the previous account system is no longer active. As far as I can tell, that wasn't communicated anywhere.

Return to “Instruments”